Username
Password

02:30 PM on 05/05/07 
User Info.
NormaJoel
dumbass ate a scorpion!
London, ON
Male - 21 Years Old
I usually play hardcore, or metal type stuff. but I am enjoying some punk music right now that I want to get something going.
but I unfortunately cant figure out anything those bands are doing because its all so fast.

I am by no means, a good drummer, and I dont claim to be or think I am. I just want some help. If anybody has some good sites, tabs, or just tips, please let me know :)
05:12 PM on 05/05/07 
User Info.
thewk
Bringing It All Back Home
Long Island, NY
Male - 26 Years Old
Get a double bass pedal. I mean, it's worthless unless you know what you're doing, but if you want to give it a try, a lot of drummers use them. But if you really plan on getting good, you should think about getting lessons. You will learn all the basics and eventually learn what you're doing.
05:22 PM on 05/05/07 
User Info.
Tristan Needler
This is forever.
London, ON
Male - 27 Years Old
Hit all four beats on the high hat, beat two and four on the snare, beat one on the bass drum, and do a double on the bass drum on beat three. And do it as fast as you can. That's it.

Well, depending on what kind of punk you want, I'm thinking punk rock like NoFX.
05:23 PM on 05/05/07 
User Info.
patrickhowell
myspace.com/someonejustlikeyou
Lynchburg, VA
Male - 29 Years Old
Get a double bass pedal. I mean, it's worthless unless you know what you're doing, but if you want to give it a try, a lot of drummers use them. But if you really plan on getting good, you should think about getting lessons. You will learn all the basics and eventually learn what you're doing.

most drummers in punk music don't use double-bass pedals. actually, most drummers don't use them.
06:25 PM on 05/05/07 
User Info.
NormaJoel
dumbass ate a scorpion!
London, ON
Male - 21 Years Old

I've taken lessons for quite some time, and I do have a double pedal.

I am not THAT begginer.
Im just not a drummer good enough to like be in a touring band. but I play in local bands and I do know mostly what Im doing.

thanks for all the advice
07:17 PM on 05/05/07 
User Info.
thewk
Bringing It All Back Home
Long Island, NY
Male - 26 Years Old
most drummers in punk music don't use double-bass pedals. actually, most drummers don't use them.
I'm just saying, if he wants to sound faster, the double bass pedal can help.
11:15 AM on 05/06/07 
User Info.
the_champ_is_here
No Avatar Selected
Upstate
Male
double bass is lame
03:24 PM on 05/06/07 
User Info.
youcomebeforeyo
yo'
New Zealand
Male - 25 Years Old
Ew. Punk drumming.
07:37 PM on 05/06/07 
User Info.
Hinge
beat on the brat
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Usually only hardcore/metal drummers use double-bass

Punk Rock is all the same beat (what shiteater said)
09:46 AM on 05/07/07 
User Info.
NormaJoel
dumbass ate a scorpion!
London, ON
Male - 21 Years Old
not always though.
I've seen some drummers to some really cool, innovative things.
Its not ALL just the same beat, but you're right.
Usually only metal and hardcore drummers play double bass.

I think its really cool when punk drummers are able to incorporate it into thier music though.
eh, Im a fan of breakdowns in punk.
06:31 PM on 05/26/07 
User Info.
Devilock97
No Avatar Selected
Cleburne TX
Male - 27 Years Old
Punk drumming is a lot less about skill and a lot more about stamina. Sure, go out and buy yourself a double-bass pedal but the truly gifted punk drummers have always been the ones who can pull it off using a single pedal. Its all about utilizing your ankle and practicing until it hurts like hell. Eric from NOFX? He does it all with one foot. Derek Grant from Alkaline Trio? One foot. Leave the double-bass pedals to the shitty, cliche hardcore breakdowns and that metal nonsense that makes kids want to send each other to the hospital.
02:31 AM on 05/27/07 
User Info.
lew_1987
The desperation's gone.
UK
Male - 26 Years Old
i think that it is easier to master on a single pedal. sure, it might be easier once you have it mastered on a double, but think about the technique. with a single pedal you will get better technique and it will sound more powerful.
03:17 AM on 05/27/07 
User Info.
youcomebeforeyo
yo'
New Zealand
Male - 25 Years Old
All my favorite drummers use single kick.

Norma Jean are one of my favorite bands and they benefit so much from the use of just a single kick. It avoids so many hardcore cliches.

And Abe Cunningham (Deftones) has a style that should render the double kick invalid.
12:30 PM on 05/27/07 
User Info.
Devilock97
No Avatar Selected
Cleburne TX
Male - 27 Years Old
All my favorite drummers use single kick.

Norma Jean are one of my favorite bands and they benefit so much from the use of just a single kick. It avoids so many hardcore cliches.

And Abe Cunningham (Deftones) has a style that should render the double kick invalid.

I've never been a huge Norma Jean fan, but I will agree that the transition (as far as drumming) from Everything is Breathing... to the newer stuff had a lot to do with the use of the single pedal.
03:39 PM on 06/15/07 
User Info.
Rpb225
No Avatar Selected
Male - 25 Years Old
ok, im a drummer myself (a punk one aswell :)), and i know some things are difficult when starting.

But a good thing to learn are double stroke rolls.
This will improve the speed of your rolls and help you move around the kit quicker.

If you dont know what these are:

You basicly do two beats on your right hand then two beats on your left, the two on your right ect.
Its easyist to practice on a snare drum.
So it goes

RRLLRRLLRRLLRRLLRRLLRRLLRRLL

The trick in doing this quickly is to find the balance point on your sticks. This is the part of the stick where when you hold it, you get a good amount of bounce back but you do still have a grip on it.
And so when doing the double stroke roll, you are using the bounce to your advantage.

I know i cant explain these things very well, im not a teacher haha. Im only 17.

Like i said, double stroke rolls can be hard to get at first, but once you get them, it is very usefull and the speed of your rolls will increase a lot.

Hope this helps.

If you want me to try helping with anything else add me on msn: Rob_fitzer@hotmail.com

Hope this helps.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version