AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
1997 - Since My House Burned Down I Now Own a... Album Cover

1997 - Since My House Burned Down I Now Own a...

Reviewed by
1997 - ...A Better View Of The Rising Moon
Record Label: Victory Records
Release Date: April 17, 2007

"Since my house burned down, I now have a better view of the rising moon."

Victory Records has brought to us countless numbers of amazing and groundbreaking bands over the years, and with their newest, 1997, they just might be doing it again.

1997 blends a range of instruments - from acoustic guitar, to xylophone, to ukulele, to harmonica - to produce a happy folk-like sound that is surprisingly rock and deep at the same time. Topped by an overlay of three different vocalists, each with powerful and unique voices, the result is 12 songs that won't soon be lost in a jumble of iPod choices.

Lead singers Kevin Thomas and Kerri Mack (recently replaced by Alida Marroni) take turns in the vocal spotlight, but come together often to sing impressively composed harmonies. Mack takes a song for herself in the easygoing ballad "Grace". On tracks like "Hey Darlin'" guitarist Caleb Pepp makes vocal appearances with a slightly raspy tone exceeding many expectations one would have for a background singer.

Lyrically, ...A Better View Of The Rising Moon isn't exactly catchy, however it has many hooks that tend to hold a place in one's head throughout a day. With some gentle plays on words, like the title of Track 2, "Garden Of Evil," the mood of the lyrics is kept light while still holding the poetic meaning. Many songs hold a happiness in the words that seems to be seriously lacking in most songs written in the scene today. 1997 proves that a heartbroken lyric can still be delivered meaningfully without using the words "blood," "kill," "revenge," ect., which is a very refreshing break from all the built up angst raging in most of today's albums.

The overall feeling taken from ...A Better View Of The Rising Moon, is that the album took a lot of thought and effort to compose. At their young age, 1997 already exudes the musical knowledge that most bands take two or three albums to acquire. The songs bare diversity while still holding quality sound; if there is one word to describe this album, it is 'refreshing.' I think it is safe to say that 1997 has a bright future ahead.

Favorite Songs:
"Water's Edge"
"Patience, Prudence"

Sounds Like: The Hush Sound, The Forecast
This review is a user submitted review from 413xsara. You can see all of 413xsara's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
03:50 PM on 05/12/07
vandalroyale
Down and almost out
User Info.
great review-- love this cd
08:28 PM on 05/12/07
BlinkNFG15
User Info.
Awesome album...one of my favorite albums of the year so far
10:02 PM on 05/12/07
bloodyr0mance87
User Info.
good review. i like this album, but thought the lyrics weren't too good. it's damn catchy, though, and i like kerri's vocals. i hope the girl who replaced her is just as good. musically, i think they're really solid, especially with their use of different kinds of instruments. if they can step it up a little lyrically, they'd be totally amazing. like you said, though, def have a bright future.
11:48 AM on 05/14/07
AdamTheGreat
Roar!
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I just saw them live and they were quite amazing. So different then what I was used to. Don't have the CD so i sadly can't say anything about it, but it bet its good.
07:50 AM on 05/19/07
413xsara
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great review-- love this cd
thank you :]
07:52 AM on 05/19/07
413xsara
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
good review. i like this album, but thought the lyrics weren't too good. it's damn catchy, though, and i like kerri's vocals. i hope the girl who replaced her is just as good. musically, i think they're really solid, especially with their use of different kinds of instruments. if they can step it up a little lyrically, they'd be totally amazing. like you said, though, def have a bright future.
thankssss. and yeah i know what you mean she has big shoes to fill.
07:53 AM on 05/19/07
413xsara
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I just saw them live and they were quite amazing. So different then what I was used to. Don't have the CD so i sadly can't say anything about it, but it bet its good.
yeah ive heard they have a rly good live show... hope to check them out this summer.
07:43 AM on 05/22/07
scumcunt
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So, i love this band.
Amazing review.
How come no one has compare these guys to Eisley? Thats what they remind me of. Not vocaly, but lyricaly.
06:00 PM on 05/23/07
413xsara
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So, i love this band.
Amazing review.
How come no one has compare these guys to Eisley? Thats what they remind me of. Not vocaly, but lyricaly.
aw thanks so much.
actually ive never heard eisley :/
heard the name though.
03:24 PM on 11/29/07
thecolorkatie
User Info.
i love tihs cd!
my favorite song is the roads you can take,
mostly because its one of those songs you love hearing and singing to in the back seat of your car! it has so much feeling and the lyrics are beautiful! my favorite line is "its true that whre young love is said to be ageless" it just makes you feel real good!

-ps the roads you can take is and amazing song live! the intro is long and the harmonica is amazing!
and there roady is the coolest boy ever!!

cheack out his music @ myspace.com/codyjaymusic !
there a feel good band!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version