Password

Album Review
Bruce Springsteen - Magic Album Cover

Bruce Springsteen - Magic

Reviewed by
Bruce Springsteen - Magic
Release Date: October 2, 2007
Record Label: Columbia Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
If every record Bruce Springsteen released past his 55th birthday was just like Magic, I’d never want him to stop writing music. As it is, I will listen to and most likely obsess over any new music from The Boss. But Magic is a late-career masterpiece of a record that shows two main points of interest to listeners: first, that even as Springsteen and The E Street Band age, they still have more energy than groups 30 years younger than them, and second, that Springsteen can still compose a near-perfect rock and roll album.

Opener and first single “Radio Nowhere” is a high-octane rocker that proved to be the perfect re-introduction to the E Street Band, who we hadn’t seen on a Springsteen release since 2002. More than anything, Springsteen’s storytelling shines on the first half of this record, as he paints as vivid imagery as ever in his choruses. The double-shot of the danceable “Gypsy Biker” and the meant-for-live-performances “Girls In Their Summer Clothes” provides a thick coat of certainty for listeners who had their doubts about Springsteen’s 15th full-length. As a matter of fact, both of these numbers were brilliantly translated into live sets, with the former earning a wild guitar solo and the latter being a rock-solid mid-tempo number to throw in the middle of a batch of older material.

“Last To Die,” “Long Walk Home” and “Devil’s Arcade” make the record one of Springsteen’s legendary efforts. They’re the last three songs on the album before the hidden track, and they each display the midpoint between Springsteen’s brilliant, reckless early years and the wisdom and calculated genius of his later ones. “Devil’s Arcade” hits particularly hard, especially in the musicianship department, when the mostly calm track is overpowered by a tidal wave of emotion as Springsteen chants, “The beat of your heart / the beat of your heart / in the Devil’s arcade.”

At the end of the album, the hidden final number is a gem of a track. Although not originally planned to be included in the record, the track, called “Terry’s Song,” is a tribute to a long-time Springsteen assistant named Terry Magovern. The song will tear at the heartstrings of anyone who has lost somebody close to them, as Springsteen’s declarations of, “When they built you, brother / They broke the mold,” carry a heavy weight.

Magic is a certainly underrated contribution to an already sterling catalog of music from The Boss. Around 2007, some older groups continued to tour for years on their greatest hits (The Rolling Stones), or put out watered-down and lazy albums to garner undeserved radio play (U2). But Bruce Springsteen put out one of his most quality efforts and went on a world tour that, over 40 years after their rise to stardom, solidified his group as the best touring band in the history of music.

Recommended If You LikeThe Rising, an older Springsteen playing songs with the energy of a younger Springsteen.
Bare Essentials1. Radio Nowhere
2. You'll Be Coming Down
3. Livin' In The Future
4. Your Own Worst Enemy
5. Gypsy Biker
6. Girls In Their Summer Clothes
7. I'll Work For Your Love
8. Magic
9. Last To Die
10. Long Walk Home
11. Devil's Arcade
12. Terry's Song (Hidden Track)
Produced By: Brendan O'Brien, Run Time: 48 minutes
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
02:49 AM on 07/13/11
TheOtherAndrew
1-0
User Info.
Easily the best latter day Springsteen album, imo. Some of my favorite songs the Boss ever wrote are on here. Great review.
06:08 AM on 07/13/11
SteveLikesMusic
I'm A Man, Dammit
User Info.
Hands down the best newer Boss album. Great review.
09:13 AM on 07/13/11
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
I don't know if it's the copy I usually listen to, but the vocals always seem slightly muffled on this one. Either way, Terry's Song is a tearjerker.
11:10 AM on 07/13/11
dogface
User Info.
Long Walk Home is so great. I find myself vaguely enjoying everything post Tunnel of Love, but this is the first album that really hit me like his early stuff did. So good
12:30 PM on 07/13/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Long Walk Home is so great. I find myself vaguely enjoying everything post Tunnel of Love, but this is the first album that really hit me like his early stuff did. So good
I agree with this. It's that "midpoint," like I tried to say. This is the best post-Tunnel record in my opinion, even though The Rising is right there with it.
01:44 PM on 07/13/11
dogface
User Info.
I agree with this. It's that "midpoint," like I tried to say. This is the best post-Tunnel record in my opinion, even though The Rising is right there with it.
I love how it's sort of obviously harkening back to earlier sounds at points, like the BTR-esque piano intro on "I'll Work For Your Love" and the swing feel of "Livin' In The Future". It's not quite as ambitious as his first few records, but it's cool seeing him bring back a similar feel after all these years.
11:41 PM on 07/13/11
Alt Press Mag.
Staff Member
User Info.
Gotta love an album from the big brucee
09:01 AM on 07/14/11
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
A better record than The Rising, overall, I think, though the former is a more emotional effort with better individual tracks. And there was no need to take a shot at U2, as their 2009 record is far, far better than Springsteen's effort that year.
12:38 PM on 07/14/11
ecartman(>< )
Denim
User Info.
average album. not as good as devils and dust
11:36 AM on 07/27/11
breakwall
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
awesome album...I like how he isn't conscious of sounding like "Bruce Springsteen should sound." The man has stuck to his guns forever...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos