AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
New Years Day - My Dear Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 6
Production 7.75
Creativity 5.75
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 74%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7.25
Production 8.75
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 77%
Inside AP.net

New Years Day - My Dear

Reviewed by: Scott Irvine (05/08/07)
New Years Day - My Dear
Released May 8th, 2007
TVT Records

Disclaimer. New Years Day is not conceptual and therefore does not represent the following in their songwriting: champagne, drunk uncles, finger sandwiches, glittering balls that drop, a crowd of a million or so New Yorkers, parades curated by Macy’s, or Dick Clark. The Californian quintet does however embody the spirit of a renewed sense of “starting over”; be it during a relationship or after it has dissolved into bitter drama. My Dear is a somewhat of a mish-mash of heartbreak and resentment rolled in with powerpop led by the alluring Ash Costello.

Just for fun, wait a couple of days and then read how many reviews describing her as a “femme fatale”. Female vocalists can’t escape that description. Nevertheless, Costello is still pretty fierce. She wears her misfortune on her sleeves and is persistent on striking relatable occurrences with the listeners. And for an album recorded entirely in a bedroom, it’s a fairly respectable debut full-length.

What drew me to first listening to New Years Day was hearing through the grape vine that a certain Adam Lohrbach from Home Grown was the acting bassist for this new band out of Anaheim. Lohrbach unquestionably brings his veteran knowledge of shaping pop-punk rhythm sections into the game here. But, jumping headfirst into New Years Day is not like it was with Home Grown. Here it all depends on if you can stand lines like, “Your love is my heart disease” and lyrical reiterations throughout My Dear. Costello is a decent lyricist for what its worth, but her bleeding-heart animosity is the only thing you’ll hear through the entire album. Her voice compensates, however, as it’ll stand out in a good way whether or not she’s strolling through lyrical diary-damper. Ash’s vocal prowess even saves songs like “You’ll Only Make It Worse” and “Sunrise Sunset” from otherwise being kind of shallow.

The album’s lead-offs, “I Was Right” and “Ready Aim Misfire”, seem to be My Dear’s best. Both employ the band’s perfected “wounded powerpop” instrumentation to the genres’s highest degree and are the paramount car ride sing-alongs. “Ready Aim Misfire” seems to be the band’s self-proclaimed single and for good reason. Costello’s scarily brutal male criticisms will scare the shit out of most XY teen-boppers in any other situation with lines like “Break off his wings/And gouge out his eyes”, but its all about releasing frustration for Ash being that the band was started when the three founding members were going through the same troubled times.

What I find in My Dear is a band venting their initial distress and regret before they can properly dig deeper and find how and where exactly all of this difficulty came from. New Years Day is fantastically on-target and ready to define faltering love lives in crafty and seductive pop-punk form. However, there are a few knicks they need to knacked before that sound comes steadily for them. Fans of Paramore and even Taking Back Sunday shouldn’t think to pick this up; a new favorite is waiting for that majority.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29
05:21 AM on 05/09/07
symbiote28
Be Human
User Info.
they're certainly catchy .. i'm trying to make them my new favourite band ...
05:50 AM on 05/09/07
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Is this the band that sings that incredibly gay song with the lyrics "Your love is my heart disease!" on the Saints Row soundtrack.

If so, lol.
06:00 AM on 05/09/07
tommyhaych
Mayor West
User Info.
I was seriously put off by the demos I heard when they first got together.
07:55 AM on 05/09/07
kodagoddess
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
And who is this new favorite that's waiting????
08:32 AM on 05/09/07
speedy017
RE:ML
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
im surprised that temecula sunrise is on this cd i remember seeing home grown perform it live saying it was going to be on their new record...well before they broke up that is
09:49 AM on 05/09/07
CaliHGiloveunot
Whatsername is Rad
User Info.
love the cd
09:58 AM on 05/09/07
i12punk
Accents
User Info.
im surprised that temecula sunrise is on this cd i remember seeing home grown perform it live saying it was going to be on their new record...well before they broke up that is

Not that big of a suprise. Adam wrote it. Adam is in New Year's Day.
11:26 AM on 05/09/07
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
Is this the band that sings that incredibly gay song with the lyrics "Your love is my heart disease!" on the Saints Row soundtrack.

If so, lol.

Considering I pointed out that line in the review, I'm thinking you didn't even read it. Good job.
11:38 AM on 05/09/07
TheJon
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Quote:
However, there are a few knicks they need to knacked before that sound comes steadily for them.

What?

But yeah, My Sweet Unvalentine, My Dear, & I Was Right are killer tracks.

I love those guys.
02:33 PM on 05/09/07
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.

I can't have a little fun with what I write?
03:32 PM on 05/09/07
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
User Info.
I can't have a little fun with what I write?
I liked this review, I love you, and want to marry your pen hand--but you gave this album WAY too much credit. This band is g.e.n.e.r.i.c, generic with little hearts over the i's.
04:11 PM on 05/09/07
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
I liked this review, I love you, and want to marry your pen hand--but you gave this album WAY too much credit. This band is g.e.n.e.r.i.c, generic with little hearts over the i's.

You might be interested in the fact that I'm writing a book, then.
04:15 PM on 05/09/07
March_Faster!!
まくどなるどなしじゃいきられない。
User Info.
74% is pretty much in the right ballpark. I love how catchy the songs are, and Ash has a great voice, but some variety in lyrical content would be much appreciated.
04:34 PM on 05/09/07
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Considering I pointed out that line in the review, I'm thinking you didn't even read it. Good job.

I didn't read it. I saw the name and looked at the ratings. Sue me?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums