Username
Password
Warped Tour News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Warped Tour
Inside AP.net

Great Motivation For a Great Cause

Posted by: Steve Henderson (05/09/07)
Music Saves Lives is teaming up with the Vans Warped Tour to give everyone who donates blood a one-day VIP backstage access pass. Check out the full press release in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 51
01:12 PM on 05/09/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Music Saves Lives For Immediate Release
HITS THE ROAD WITH THE VANS WARPED TOUR; BACKSTAGE PASS OFFERED TO ALL BLOOD DONORS;
Seal Beach, California - May 8, 2007

"SAVING LIVES HAS NEVER SOUNDED SO GOOD!"
MUSIC SAVES LIVES, the trusted conduit between music, entertainment and important life-saving causes, is teaming up with the world famous Vans Warped Tour, and blood banks across the nation, to rally thousands of concert goers to give blood and sign up for the national bone marrow registry program. MUSIC SAVES LIVES blood drives are running a few weeks and days before the Vans Warped Tour and every participant who donates blood gets a one-day VIP backstage access pass in addition to the opportunity to save someone's life.

Last year, more than 3,000 people participated in the inaugural MUSIC SAVES LIVES blood drives connected to the Southern California Vans Warped Tour dates. To illustrate the power of this effort, the same time the year before, the Southern California blood banks collected less than 300 donation from people under 25. This year they have taken it nationwide and are looking for 10 times the donations as last summer. If successful this will be the largest summer collection program that targets youth under 25 in history.

MUSIC SAVES LIVES seeks an ultimate goal of raising over 30,000 units of blood this summer in the USA. Every summer the blood supply across the nation drops to critical levels, primarily due to the fact that almost 30% of the blood supply comes from college and high schools. During the summer, when school is not in session, many areas in the nation suffer from a low blood supply. A low blood supply can result in postponed surgeries, and can be life threatening in critical trauma situations and to cancer patients after treatments. The American Red Cross and many other blood banks are participating in hope to encourage young blood donors to save as many as three lives by donating just one pint of blood.

By reaching out to concertgoers each day of the tour, MUSIC SAVES LIVES ultimately strives to register 4,000 new bone marrow donors. Registration only takes about 10 minutes using a simple and painless cheek swab, used for type matching of possible donors with leukemia patients waiting to be saved. All donors who register with DKMS Americas also become part of the WMDA (World Marrow Donor Association) and the NMDP (National Marrow Donor Program).
About Music Saves Lives Music Saves Lives is the conduit between music, entertainment and important life-saving causes. Since beginning in 2005, the Music Saves Lives community has grown to be a trusted source for young individuals that care about life-saving issues. Our community has found that Music Saves Lives offers an easy way to give back and connect to the entertainment they love. MSL has focused its main efforts on blood donation and the bone marrow registry, reaching out by sharing facts and educating.

Music Saves Lives is moving forward in creating many-life saving events. We want to educate young people about the importance of simple life saving actions they can participate in.

Music Saves Lives
www.musicsaveslives.com
www.myspace.com/musicsaveslives
www.lifesavingevents.com
01:15 PM on 05/09/07
keeplioving
sell my old clothes
User Info.
aw man. I'd do this. too bad warped isn't coming here. it never does
01:16 PM on 05/09/07
LillieDesigns
Orange, CA
User Info.
That's pretty awesome, I HATE getting blood drawn though.
01:17 PM on 05/09/07
sdbrown
I'll let you in something secret
User Info.
Great cause! After watching House I'm a bit terrified of blood marrow donations (I know that's not actually how it works, but you can't say you wouldn't be squeamish if you saw that episode), nevertheless this is a wonderful way to get people involved and to donate. Hopefully the people that donate will continue to even without the incentive.
01:18 PM on 05/09/07
ESundy36
GO FRIARS!
User Info.
I am terrified of needles. The last time I had to have blood drawn I passed out.
01:21 PM on 05/09/07
average_jane
poppunkjunkie.blogspot.co m
User Info.
That's a really cool concept...I just hope we don't get tons of kids who get blood drawn and then go pass out in the mosh pits...
01:23 PM on 05/09/07
LoadedGunX21
21 and invincible..
User Info.
so where do you go to give the blood?
01:27 PM on 05/09/07
the new dancer
User Info.
hahaha count me in.....wat a great cause
01:29 PM on 05/09/07
saving jonathan
everything in transit
User Info.
great offer and great cause. however, i think the backstage might be a tad crowded if enough kids actually do this.
01:29 PM on 05/09/07
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
User Info.
Wow...I give blood once a year around this time, so this is really a great opportunity and a great cause.
01:30 PM on 05/09/07
THEAlkalineTrio
User Info.
yeah is it the day of the show? because that would suck... especially with the heat in august.. gah, well i shall certainly consider it.
01:31 PM on 05/09/07
wavegoodbye
User Info.
That's a really cool concept...I just hope we don't get tons of kids who get blood drawn and then go pass out in the mosh pits...

they're not going to give blood the day of. it'll be a few weeks beforehand. :]
01:48 PM on 05/09/07
Jamie Pham
@jamiepham
User Info.
again? it was hectic last year at my warped tour date
01:50 PM on 05/09/07
ATDIdakota
User Info.
i love giving blood...gotta feed the vampires.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums