Username
Password
General Announcement News - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 64.
05:07 PM on 07/22/11
The Revisionist
Loves shittyass pop music
User Info.
I don't disagree with We Are The Union's decision... if they are not comfortable being in that situation and bringing in money toward somebody that has pretty awful opinions, then that's their right and more power to them. I think if I was in that situation with my band, I would probably play the show anyway and call out those awful opinions on-stage, because there's probably a good possibility that some people in the crowd share those opinions and maybe they should be reminded to rethink their position.
05:15 PM on 07/22/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
I don't disagree with We Are The Union's decision... if they are not comfortable being in that situation and bringing in money toward somebody that has pretty awful opinions, then that's their right and more power to them. I think if I was in that situation with my band, I would probably play the show anyway and call out those awful opinions on-stage, because there's probably a good possibility that some people in the crowd share those opinions and maybe they should be reminded to rethink their position.
Good point.
06:41 PM on 07/22/11
audiokarate89
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
while its admirable that, they stood up for what they believe in , its kinda selfish to leave your fans hanging like that. I mean they basically boycotted their job, so if every promoter was anti - gay would they stop playing shows?

im sure "christian bands" meet " anti christian" promoters / sound techs that don't agree with their beliefs doesn't mean they pack up and leave their fans in the dust.
I can't really see the connection with this example. You're comparing disagreeing with a mainstream religion verses making derogatory and hateful remarks against a wildly persecuted minority group. Props to WATU. I know you'll make it up to those kids in someway, so no harm done there.
06:42 PM on 07/22/11
TZE
User Info.
while its admirable that, they stood up for what they believe in , its kinda selfish to leave your fans hanging like that. I mean they basically boycotted their job, so if every promoter was anti - gay would they stop playing shows?

im sure "christian bands" meet " anti christian" promoters / sound techs that don't agree with their beliefs doesn't mean they pack up and leave their fans in the dust.

this. the fans lose out in the end. its not like they're forced to support some anti gay campaign and i'm pretty sure the crew didn't consist of just two people.
07:05 PM on 07/22/11
allthruwinter
What do I stand for?
User Info.
They did the right thing, proud of em'.
07:06 PM on 07/22/11
blahrascal
User Info.

First off, I would absolutely boycott my job if it was apparent the people I was working for were anti-gay. Maybe it comes from actually being gay, but I wouldn't feel comfortable in that situation and would not be willing to compromise myself for the sake of a job. I'd be very sorry for letting people down that depended on me, but I can't imagine a situation in which I would think it was worth it. And I'm just talking about retail. Their job is playing music. As with any creative endeavor, it involves injecting a lot of yourself into your work, and often times it becomes impossible to separate the two, especially in a situation like this.
Secondly, if every promoter were anti-gay, we'd probably be living in some sort of fascist nightmare-state and bands like this would play more than ever. I mean, you don't really need a promoter to play music. Sure it helps, but there are definitely alternatives.

As for the Christian thing, if the situation were the same and it got to the point where they actually felt uncomfortable playing, I don't think anyone would (or rather, should) blame them for doing the same thing. But he said in the story that they were being very loud about it to the point where they simply couldn't ignore it. Something that I think a lot of people are neglecting to consider here is that the guys at the venue were also working, and should not have been discussing personal politics so loudly in the first place. I understand that sometimes you get caught up in a conversation and forget your surroundings, but refusing to apologize when it is clear that you are alienating a client/customer is simply unprofessional no matter how you slice it.

All that said, I'd like to know what the nature of these homophobic remarks actually was. Because if they were just describing things as "gay" or calling their friends "****," then I don't necessarily consider that homophobic.
07:14 PM on 07/22/11
Avalanche1
Keep running, keep shining on
User Info.
Pretty shitty that they would cancel the show just because of this. I get they have very strong beliefs among the band but they should be putting the fans first and should have played the show anyways.
07:30 PM on 07/22/11
blahrascal
User Info.
Pretty shitty that they would cancel the show just because of this. I get they have very strong beliefs among the band but they should be putting the fans first and should have played the show anyways.
Well here's another thing: at what point would it be acceptable for them to cancel the show for personal reasons? Are you saying that it is never okay to do so? Because I hardly think anyone would fault a black artist for refusing to play a venue whose employees showed overt racism.
The only difference here is that (to the best of my knowledge anyway) none of the members of WATU are gay, but the fact that they still refused to play even though they may not have had as much of a personal stake in it speaks more positively of their character to me than it does negatively of their professionalism.
I'm sure they weren't happy leaving their fans out in the cold like that, but it's not like they just up and said "fuck em" and rode off with smiles on their faces because they got off work for the night.
07:37 PM on 07/22/11
Avalanche1
Keep running, keep shining on
User Info.
Well here's another thing: at what point would it be acceptable for them to cancel the show for personal reasons? Are you saying that it is never okay to do so? Because I hardly think anyone would fault a black artist for refusing to play a venue whose employees showed overt racism.
The only difference here is that (to the best of my knowledge anyway) none of the members of WATU are gay, but the fact that they still refused to play even though they may not have had as much of a personal stake in it speaks more positively of their character to me than it does negatively of their professionalism.
I'm sure they weren't happy leaving their fans out in the cold like that, but it's not like they just up and said "fuck em" and rode off with smiles on their faces because they got off work for the night.
I still think they could have played despite the conversation of the venue owner and audio guy. They could have voiced their opinions while on stage instead of abandoning the show all together. They are performers and they aren't going to always get to perform in the best setting but that's life. Kids paid to see them play that night.
07:44 PM on 07/22/11
blowmybutthole
User Info.
A lot of people here suck really hard sometimes. that being said- don't be a bitch, keep to your self, play the show, and continue on your way. Wichita is a terrible city anyway, never would have happened in Lawrence or Kansas City.
I don't believe we're like that at all. we have a pretty amazing art scene here that is very tolerant of all types of people. unfortunately the eagles lodge is the worst run venue/VFW hall in the world and we don't include them in our art scene. they're idiots. I've seen this happen in Topeka which is not surprising considering they house westboro. but rarely here in Wichita
07:47 PM on 07/22/11
blahrascal
User Info.
I still think they could have played despite the conversation of the venue owner and audio guy. They could have voiced their opinions while on stage instead of abandoning the show all together. They are performers and they aren't going to always get to perform in the best setting but that's life. Kids paid to see them play that night.
You do have a point; there were definitely alternate ways of handling the situation that didn't involve just cancelling the performance altogether. But that's why I'd really like to know what was actually said by the employees, because I feel like it's kind of important in setting the tone of this whole thing.
08:37 PM on 07/22/11
NateThruman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good for them! Unless you're in that situation, it's hard to form a real opinion on cancelling the show. If they stuck around, played the show, and made money for those boners, they would've been hypocrites. It's too bad they couldn't have stuck around and played a house show or something for fans though. In the heat of the moment though, sometimes it's the right choice to get out of there before the situation escalates.
10:02 PM on 07/22/11
the new dancer
User Info.
Major props to them for sticking to their beliefs, that can be a difficult thing to do. I don't understand why those people couldn't just respect that there were offending others and either stop the conversation or change location or volume. I think WATU did the correct thing, first they tried to resolve it and when thier belifs weremore or less ignored they discussed among themselves the next step. Sure it sucks for everyone who went to see that band but i don't see how anyonecan really be upset at someone for standing up for what they believe in.
11:13 PM on 07/22/11
March_Faster!!
まくどなるどなしじゃいきられない。
User Info.
I agree with you completely. Fuck what they say, play for your fans. That's all that matters.
Amen. The fans drop the dough to see the band they love rock the fuck out. Why should they be punished because a couple of dongs say some shit the band doesn't agree with?
11:43 PM on 07/22/11
konvalbr
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
omg they told a story that made them look good. i'm so glad i heard only one side to this and decided that they were in the right no matter what!!! amen WATU amen!!!
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests