Password

Album Review

Blink 182 - Take Off Your Pants And Jacket Album Cover

Blink 182 - Take Off Your Pants And Jacket

Reviewed by
Blink 182 - Take Off Your Pants And Jacket
Release Date: June 12, 2001
Record Label: MCA
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
This review is part of our Retro Reviews project, where we take a look back at some significant records from yesteryear.

How does one begin to measure the influence of a band like Blink 182? You can’t count how many garage bands were spawned after Enema Of The State came out. You can’t put a price on taking a relatively new genre and thrusting it into the mainstream with full force. Without Blink 182 and their peers like Green Day and The Offspring, and a little while later, bands like New Found Glory, where would pop-punk be? It quite possibly would never have even gotten started.

Enema Of The State is viewed as a pillar of the genre. But for its hit singles and nostalgic elements, it’s arguable that Take Off Your Pants And Jacket is actually the better record. The musicianship is as matured as can be while still being kind of the same, and time together only helped the Mark, Tom and Travis show increase its chemistry. From the very first drum blasts and guitar plucks of “Anthem Part Two,” Take Off Your Pants And Jacket gets you moving. It is as much an expected Blink 182 rocker as it is a statement: Not only did Blink embrace the spotlight, but they started to shine even brighter.

Take Off Your Pants And Jacket is perhaps where Mark, Tom and Travis decided that music was about more than seeing girls flash them some boobies at shows. About more than time-honored sketches like bringing Satan on stage as a special guest. Sure, the trio still likes doing those kinds of things, but TOYPAJ is the middle ground between the young musicians who released Enema and the – gulp – adults who released the self-titled. Forever engrained into this record is the transition between almost two entirely separate bands. For a band like Blink 182, who formed almost two decades ago but has only released five full-lengths so far, each album captures a piece of where the band was when they released it.

The mixture is one that works. For every dick joke (“Happy Holidays, You Bastard,” “Mother’s Day”) there is a catchy, now-classic pop-punk anthem with some actual meaning (“First Date,” “The Rock Show,” “Stay Together For The Kids”). Songs like “Everytime I Look For You” are well beyond what a listener of Enema might expect out of the band’s next output. The album manages to stay balanced, though, and it is perhaps one of the better laid-out tracklistings on a pop-punk album.

Take Off Your Pants And Jacket is a transitory record for Blink 182, but you can’t tell just by listening to it on its own. It’s developed and it’s full – it feels holistically complete, dick jokes and all. It may not have as much nostalgia as Enema Of The State and it may not have the depth of the self-titled record, but Take Off Your Pants And Jacket is Blink 182’s best effort.

Recommended If You LikeSeeing some boobies at live shows but getting a little older at the same time.
Follow Me On TwitterIt's Christmas Eve and I've only wrapped two fucking presents.
Bare Essentials 1. Anthem Part 2
2. Online Songs
3. First Date
4. Happy Holidays, You Bastard
5. Story Of A Lonely Guy
6. The Rock Show
7. Stay Together For The Kids
8. Roller Coaster
9. Reckless Abandon
10. Everytime I Look For You
11. Give Me One Good Reason
12. Shut Up
13. Please Take Me Home
Produced By: Jerry Finn, Run Time: 39 minutes
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars.
Head here to purchase the repress of Take Off Your Pants And Jacket on vinyl from Mightier Than Sword Records.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 102
01:00 AM on 07/26/11
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
I think the singles (First Date, The Rock Show, Stay Together for the Kids) haven't aged as well as the non-singles, but other than that, such a good album.
01:12 AM on 07/26/11
M.Lee
man I'm pretty
User Info.
The best blink album.

I said it.
01:27 AM on 07/26/11
theChariotAshes
User Info.
The best blink album.

I said it.
Agreed.
01:31 AM on 07/26/11
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
I think the singles (First Date, The Rock Show, Stay Together for the Kids) haven't aged as well as the non-singles, but other than that, such a good album.
I would say that this album in general has aged the worst out of their catalogue (post cheshire) -
01:44 AM on 07/26/11
asthenia*
Never to see any other way...
User Info.
would still place this behind enema and self-titled, for sure. but i mean they're all great
01:49 AM on 07/26/11
Karl Hansen
www.lowcutrock.com
User Info.
Good review and I agree - this is the best Blink record. I think you should've mentioned something about the stellar production in the review, which on its own is a reason to listen to this disc!
02:30 AM on 07/26/11
simplejack
Soundtrack of My Silence
User Info.
It's the first blink-182 record I bought. It's the first pop-punk record I bought. And, after so many years, I still consider it one of my favourites and also better than Enema. It has a better flow and all the songs could've potentially been a single. Roller Coaster, Shut Up and Please Take Me Home are my non-singles favourites. Also b-sides were fantastic. Time to Break Up and What Went Wrong are amazing songs. About this album's goodness this says it all:

02:49 AM on 07/26/11
Tucker SL!
Secret Lives! / Tucker
User Info.
i remember being 17 and refusing to listen to this album because blink could never mean more to me than what they created with enema. i stuck solid my whole freshman year of college jamming out mxpx, dashboard, nofx.. and then crept in thursday and taking back sunday.. brand new.. beloved got me hyped on a nearby local music scene that didn't exist at all where i lived.. i was falling in love with a whole new developing genre..

but there was always blink in the back of my head.

eventually i gave toypaj a shot and needless to say i fell in love.

hearing the real separation between tom and mark on this album is appreciably distinct. clearly not as much so as it is in the self titled, but as a pre-cursor and a follow up to their most critically acclaimed album, they took leaps and bounds musically while surprisingly sticking to that old pop-punk formula that they founded and ingrained in our heads and expectations.

minuscule complaints aside, this is a classic. and god damn it, it's blink 182.
05:34 AM on 07/26/11
iarnoldsn
User Info.
"Enema Of The State is viewed as a pillar of the genre. But for its hit singles and nostalgic elements, it’s arguable that Take Off Your Pants And Jacket is actually the better record."

For me, there is no doubt about this. TOYPJ is a fresher, more creative, and more mature (a strange word to use with Blink) version of Enema. Also, I found the lasting value for TOYPJ to be much greater than Enema; at 20, I can still feel somewhat connected with TOYPJ when I listen to it, but with Enema, I can't really get much out of it other than some fun tunes.
06:49 AM on 07/26/11
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
I love this album, and blink is my favorite band, but this is probably my least favorite of the big three. Untitled of course being my god.
07:18 AM on 07/26/11
blinkeatworld
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Who the fuck can say if this is their "best record" but its definitely my favorite!!
07:19 AM on 07/26/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I have to admit, Blink-182 (or Untitled) is my favorite Blink record though. Probably due to my age
07:20 AM on 07/26/11
bradsonemanband
I make music.
User Info.
I love this album, and blink is my favorite band, but this is probably my least favorite of the big three. Untitled of course being my god.
agreed
07:39 AM on 07/26/11
SmallFrailBoy
User Info.
This album is not their best... but still great. If you asked me to make a list of my favorite blink 182 songs, i'd probably only include two from this album. "Anthem Part 2" and "Reckless Abandon" for sure.

I did really like the concept of having 3 different discs with 3 different b-sides and goofy tracks. The yellow disc was my favorite.

Dude Ranch, Enema and the untitled album all hold up better for me.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos