AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Set It Free - Set It Free EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.25
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Set It Free - Set It Free EP

Reviewed by: Corey Hoffy (07/26/11)
Set It Free - Set It Free EP
Record Label: Gas Can Music
Release Date: July 5, 2011

I remember a time when rock bands accidentally became famous; a time when bands made music just toÖ well, make music. I know; Iíve made this point already in previous reviews - Iím coming to a point, I promise. Recently, Iíve noticed that the best rock albums (LP, EP, or otherwise) are from Ė letís face it Ė relatively unheard of bands. This isnít just true of rock, sure, but rock has needed a healthy rejuvenation for some time now and it seems itís in the hands of indie bands to perform this much-needed healing.

Set It Freeís self-titled debut EP may not necessarily fit into the ďbestĒ rock releases this year, but thatís kind of the point. Itís not trying to be the best or grandest release; itís simply trying to be. The statement here is the lack of a statement, which, in this instance, says a lot. This is simply an enjoyable ride from a band that loves what they do, and really, thatís all it needs to be.

From the pounding, in-your-face ďForget the PastĒ to the mellow, slowed down, and superb ďWhat Is This LoveĒ, itís simply ear candy. And tasty ear candy it is. ďHome AliveĒ is your typical fast-paced opener, with kick-ass drumming from Victor Pascale, and a head-bobbing chorus. These guys know how to make some infectious tunes, if anything.

When one goes into this record, they shouldnít expect anything. And I say this in the most positive way possible. Contrary to popular belief, sometimes music doesnít need to be overly intellectually stimulating or socially relevant. This isnít to say that the band arenít talented lyricists, however most of the lyrics just deal with the heart, or forgetting the past. Relatively simple. Iím also sure a lot of thought went into the lyrics, but with the musicianship and dedication present here, the lyrics are completely overshadowed. Not that Iím complaining.

Recommended If You LikeRawk music

Solid TracksWhat Is This Love, Home Alive

Set It Free's Facebook
Buy It

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums