AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Fink - Perfect Darkness Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Fink - Perfect Darkness

Reviewed by: crotheian (07/30/11)
Fink - Perfect Darkness
Record Label: Ninja Tune
Release Date: July 19, 2011

Fin "Fink" Greenall was once a DJ for the dance label Ninja Tune. In 2006, he made a drastic switch to acoustic, folk music. Since then he has fused elements of jazz, blues, soul, electronica, and folk making him one of the most compelling folk musicians in the scene today.

In Perfect Darkness, Greenall keeps the same recipe as his previous albums. The subject-matter wanders through quite a range of tense emotion, however, I couldn't help feeling a bit of warmth still emanating from the music. The title track, and first song on the album, immediately draws the listener into a simplistic web of melancholy acoustic-jazz, while in other songs, like "Honesty", Greenall searches for answers to past heartache with a cool anger that resonates with the building ambience. "Wheels", on the other hand, presents a straightforward blues melody that will immediately have the listener foot-tapping away.

"Warm Shadow", probably my favorite song on the album, starts off with a steady strumming that reminded me of a darker version of the beginning of "Two Step" by Dave Matthews. The focus, however, is never taken away from the rhythmic strumming, even as an electric guitar emerges at the song's midpoint. Really, Greenall's soulful voice and impressive acoustic guitar play are at the forefront in this album. It is hard not to be fully mesmerized by Greenall's stretched words as he hums over some of the most brilliant acoustic finger-picked styles I've ever heard.

You won't necessarily find any catchy melodies in Perfect Darkness. And, even though there really isn't anything new here in comparison to earlier Fink albums, the simplistic nature of the album and Greenall's voice and acoustic handiwork make this the perfect album for a chill evening.

Recommended If You LikePrevious Fink albums, moody, acoustic, blues, jazz, folk music

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2.
03:02 PM on 08/06/11
DJWildefire
On the verge of breathtaking
User Info.
A couple minor grammatical errors but good content. I really enjoy this album.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests