Username
Password
The Wonder Years News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Wonder Years
Inside AP.net

Soupy Clarifies His Thoughts on Religion

Posted by: Keagan Ilvonen (07/31/11)
In a new interview, The Wonder Years' Soupy goes into detail behind the meaning of "I Won't Say The Lord's Prayer" and what religion means to him.
From The InterviewFor me personally, I think the Bible is a book that's got such obviously glaring flaws in it, even as much as grammatically. There's a book called Eats, Shoots And Leaves where the author more or less explores grammatical errors and how they can affect connotation and things like that. At the time the Bible was written, in Aramaic there was no comma. Aramaic was a language that didn't have a comma. We all know that a comma is a pause, a breath in a sentence. The author puts the same Bible verse back to back in the book; one of them it has a comma, and the other doesn't. When she takes that pause, the connotation is completely different. How do you know if there was a comma there or not? How do you know if there was an intended comma, an intended pause? Things like that on such a basic level lead me to believe that it's not something worth putting my entire life's trust in

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 539.
04:03 AM on 07/31/11
dan.is.empire
I Am Empire / Dan
User Info.
That first sentence of his seems pretty flawed, grammatically
04:11 AM on 07/31/11
Yeti13
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I havent seen anything about this til now.... This has seriously been a discussion?! You can write a song about how great god is without anyone questioning you but you write a song about not believing in god and you can actually lose fans? C'mon kids...
04:12 AM on 07/31/11
dom_182
Reckless Abandon
User Info.
Always enjoy reading these interviews where artists talk about the meanings behind songs etc. This album has not stopped playing since I got it, strong contender for AOTY for me so far.
04:17 AM on 07/31/11
notetoself343
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so he wrote a song about it, leave him the fuck alone.
04:28 AM on 07/31/11
mikeXXXnj
I'm the (not actually)black jesus.
User Info.
That first sentence of his seems pretty flawed, grammatically
he didn't right the sentence dumbass. it's from an interview...a speaking interview.
04:43 AM on 07/31/11
fredrico0012
Listen to Less Than Jake
User Info.
I havent seen anything about this til now.... This has seriously been a discussion?! You can write a song about how great god is without anyone questioning you but you write a song about not believing in god and you can actually lose fans? C'mon kids...

While I tend to skip that song I respect his right to have made it. That being said if he made a song trashing gays, blacks, women, etc. everyone would be up in arms. So when he basically writes a song putting someone's religion in a negative light, of course its going to garner a angry response from those people.
04:47 AM on 07/31/11
fredrico0012
Listen to Less Than Jake
User Info.
There is one problem I have with what he states in the interview. While I'm not a creationist, it is the THEORY of evolution, not the LAW of evolution. So while there is evidence pointing that way it still has not been proved.

That's just a pet peeve of mine.
04:57 AM on 07/31/11
MorningStar10
the other Kyle.
User Info.
Soupy is a legend
04:57 AM on 07/31/11
Yeti13
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
There is one problem I have with what he states in the interview. While I'm not a creationist, it is the THEORY of evolution, not the LAW of evolution. So while there is evidence pointing that way it still has not been proved.

That's just a pet peeve of mine.
I studied Darwin in pretty fair detail in college and in all fairness, his theory was flawed in many ways, BUT the underlying principles are absolute, undeniable fact. Darwin and many others laid down the foundation for thinking about evolution but at the time, were not able to get all of the details down (genetics and the DNA have gone a long way to solidify and improve the ideas they set down). So, to say that Origin of Species should be some sort of bible is incorrect, but it does at least of some scientific thoughts. The bible lacks that and is, like he says, open to a lot of interpretation.

I think this song is a positive thing. There are probably a lot more "closet atheists" than we know in the States largely because its NOT seen as acceptable. Hopefully this can help some people know they aren't alone in their thoughts and that if there is a hell, it could be getting a pretty sweet crowd going.

Enlightenment for belieivers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXThbqU0dw4
05:04 AM on 07/31/11
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
While I tend to skip that song I respect his right to have made it. That being said if he made a song trashing gays, blacks, women, etc. everyone would be up in arms. So when he basically writes a song putting someone's religion in a negative light, of course its going to garner a angry response from those people.
You can't really compare bashing gays, blacks and women to religion...
05:09 AM on 07/31/11
fredrico0012
Listen to Less Than Jake
User Info.

You totally can, you are bashing someone for what they are and what they believe.
05:09 AM on 07/31/11
Yeti13
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
True too. Religion is a choice, the others are who that person is... and before anyone says "religion is who i am" don't bother because its not.
05:26 AM on 07/31/11
BigG1392
I have a crippling fear of heights
User Info.
True too. Religion is a choice, the others are who that person is... and before anyone says "religion is who i am" don't bother because its not.
Religion is a choice, you are right. But it still helps to define a person's identity.
05:29 AM on 07/31/11
Yeti13
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Religion is a choice, you are right. But it still helps to define a person's identity.
You can say that for anything. Personally, I align myself with people who like crunchy natural peanut butter.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests