AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Dweller - Dweller Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 8.5
Production 7.5
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 6.5
Reviewer Tilt 6.5
Final Verdict: 73%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 9.25
Production 8.5
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 94%
Inside AP.net

Dweller - Dweller

Reviewed by: Sean Rizzo (07/31/11)
Dweller - Dweller
Record Label: Independent
Release Date: May 31, 2011

Who?

Dweller are a 5 piece alt metal/metalcore band from Aberdeen, Scotland.

How is it?

Heavy, dark, and absolutely dreary. Oceana comes first in the RIYL for a reason. While the instruments bear a good deal of similarity to Birth.Eater, the true motive behind my comparison is that even though they take their own unique form, the vocals have a consistently strong exudation of heartwrenching pessimism, and the lyrics are somewhat graphic and deeply sorrowful. Seemingly centering on each perspective of the story of a rape victim aborting her ex-husband's child as a result of a relationship gone extremely awry (in my opinion), it's easily apparent as to why.

Rather disappointingly in comparison to the depth of the subject matter, the music itself doesn't have that much new to offer. Dweller adds elements of grunge and metalcore to their alt metal base to produce the extremely dark feel on the EP. Sludgy, heavily distorted bass is prevalent in each track. Dweller have done themselves a favor in reducing screams to a mere background effect, as it avoids gambling with preserving the emotion in the cleans and instead adds to the appeal. A welcome transition lies in the middle of "Deceiver", which has a stripped down guitar melody, creating beauty which somehow compliments the overall somberness.

Dweller's self-titled EP has some fantastic lyrical content and vocal delivery, which in my opinion more than makes up for its lack of originality musically. If you're a fan of hard rock or metalcore that is dark both musically and lyrically, this EP is definitely worth your time and a purchase.

Recommended if You LikeOceana - Birth.Eater; Thrice; Dream On, Dreamer; Underoath; Norma Jean

External LinksMyspace, Facebook, Buy it on iTunes

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2.
02:21 AM on 08/09/11
SeanGather
It's too bad she won't live
User Info.
Lurker is one of my favourite songs of this year. We played with them on Sunday night and they absolutely destroyed, played two new songs which were amazing too.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests