AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Arctic Monkeys - Suck it and See Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 9.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 9.75
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 94%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.81
Musicianship 9.44
Lyrics 9.5
Production 9.69
Creativity 9.56
Lasting Value 9.13
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Average: 92%
Inside AP.net

Arctic Monkeys - Suck it and See

Reviewed by: iancat87 (08/04/11)
Arctic Monkeys - Suck it and See
Record Label: Domino Recording Company
Release Date: June 6, 2011

For those who ventured into the desert with the Arctic Monkeys and producer extraordinaire Josh Homme for 2009ís Humbug, many of the sounds on Suck it and See arenít surprising. Whatís surprising is how Alex Turner and company blend their newfound riffs and psychedelic explorations with genuine songs. The real treat is that the album is remarkably subtle. My oh my how theyíve grown since that iconic debut that shattered the windows and kicked kids to the dance floor. In many respects, they revived interest in the Jam and Paul Weller, perhaps more so than their heroes in the Libertines. You wouldnít think so after hearing Suck it and See.

Subtlety was the lesson Turner learned from the Last Shadow Puppets. The greatest successes on his album with Miles Kane were the songs that were cooler, such as "Standing Next to Me" and Turnerís own "My Mistakes Were Made for You." The Age of the Understatement suffered in its most pompous moments, or where some of the material sounded as if it were culled from unused ideas for the Monkeys.

Subtlety was also the lesson Turned learned from Humbugís greatest achievement: "Cornerstone." Turnerís lyrics are direct, yet still somehow elusive. The story unfolds beautifully and without Turnerís trademarked witty repartee. Instead, he unveils an astonishingly defeated tale of searching for lost love. The melody carries his narratorís earnest quest, particularly in the yearning bridge where he wonders if he imagined the girl all along. James Ford, who produced "Cornerstone" and two other tracks from Humbug, captures the melancholy spirit of the tune by focusing on Turnerís vocals and subtle guitar treatmentsóeven featuring a reversed guitar solo after the bridge. The song is all the more surprising coming from the same group that blew out "The View From the Afternoon" and "Fluorescent Adolescent." Their ballads never quite gelled very well until "Cornerstone."

Suck it and See meets the subtlety of "Cornerstone" with Humbugís strange riffs and dark twists and turns, but instead of strictly dark psychedelia, this album offers up some startlingly sensitive songs. The melodies of Jaime Cookís and Turnerís guitars are by and large much more inclined to sweetness than brash outbursts. Even when Matt Heldersí drums bash the chorus of "Sheís Thunderstorms," harmonized vocals effectively sing the titular phrase in a legato manner.

The leadoff single "Donít Sit Down ĎCause I Moved Your Chair" summarizes Humbug better than anything from that album even could. The dark riffs and surreal lyrics are wholly compelling, and the bandís psychedelia sounds much more lived-in. Coupled with this track for the pre-release was "Brick By Brick," featuring Helders on lead vocals. Simplistic lyrics yes, but the song is served best as a slice of unbridled rock & roll, featuring some guitar work that easily would find itself at home with anything Ron Asheton ever laid down on a six string.

The hardy rocker "Library Pictures" might be the most blistering thing the bandís recorded since "Brianstorm." It gnarls at the roots with Nick OíMalleyís powerful bass, and tosses in some hushed polyrhythmic guitar runs before hurdling into overdrive. Itís a hell of a ride, and easily one of Suck it and Seeís highlights. Again, Turner makes use of his new obsession with the surreal, while the band employs some bitter dissonance.

Apart from that, this is the album that explores the Monkeysí sensitivity. Turner and the groupís ballads are entirely impressive: "The Hellcat Spangled Shalalala," "Reckless Serenade," "Piledriver Waltz," "Love is a Laserquest," and the title track are a remarkable far cry from the debut and Favourite Worst Nightmare. The drudgery of Humbug has been made slick, retaining the weirdness but the emotions are fresher, bracing. It even seems that Turner is more emotionally invested than ever before. Though he might be occasionally self-deprecating, or quite surreal, his melancholy delivery sounds sincere. This is fairly new to the Monkeysí pallet, and Turnerís. Again, perhaps a lesson learned from "Cornerstone."

By the time the record is over, itís perfectly clear how much the band has matured and changed. Itís astonishing. Suck it and See proves that the Monkeys are more than just riffs and a turn of phrase, and it pays off in spades.

The only real complaint to have with the album is that thereís no big single. You wonít find a "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor" or "Fluorescent Adolescent" here. But, the album plays more consistently than anything the band has put out before. Sure, the debut rips a ton of riffs, and Nightmare is just about perfect except for "Only Ones Who Know," but Suck it and See is constantly interesting, between variations in mood, Turnerís lyrics, and the bandís command of the sounds they discovered on Humbug. For a band who very thoroughly identified themselves through their singles, the shift of focus to the art of the album is no doubt startling for fans who expect a full blast, decidedly unsubtle affair. As the band matures, their grasp of subtlety and aesthetics will only grow stronger, which is positively a good thing. It might be their best album yet.

Recommended If You LikeThe Libertines, The Strokes, garage rock, psychedelia

http://www.arcticmonkeys.com/

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
05:56 AM on 08/15/11
Alligator Blood
/////////////////
User Info.
Honestly, I really dislike this record. Not a fan of Arctics to begin with, but this effort seems particularly bland and self-indulgent.
07:31 AM on 08/19/11
iancat87
The Ian Cat
User Info.
Explain how it's bland and self-indulgent.
05:00 PM on 08/19/11
here the lights
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
ok
11:32 AM on 08/28/11
iebeltje
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
not really my cuppa joe.
04:02 AM on 09/10/11
saulosag
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I like this record, it sounds like a refreshing mood in Arctic Monkeys.
It sounds like they're trying to make us forget about how good were "I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor", and go on to a new level, not above, not below, but far far away from the antecessors.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums