Password

Album Review

Time Tells All - Spread The Word EP Album Cover

Time Tells All - Spread The Word EP

Reviewed by
Artist: Time Tells All
Album: Spread The Word EP
Label: Unsigned

Time Tells All's bio bills them as a "cross between Cartel and Fall Out Boy living vicariously through an old New Found Glory record." So, you're either thinking, "God, I hate pop music!" or "Holy crap, I've struck pop-punk gold!" Personally, I fall into the latter category of listeners. Now, let's break down that claim about their sound.

The vocals do strongly recall those of Cartel's Will Pugh, with slightly less power than Pugh is capable of, but with the same pleasant tone and range. The similarity is most striking on the verses, which as more on the spoken side, and the vocal patterns are very similar to the slower portions of Cartel songs.

The comparison to Fall Out Boy comes from the lyrics.

Would you give it all up / to see the dream / Would you wash it all down / if you don't believe
Straight up and go / Like a close call so pressed for time / From the music to these lips /
let these lips send chills down through your fingertips / I've found a new religion based on you

Luckily, the lyrical subjects do not focus as intensely on relationships and emo cliches as Pete Wentz's lyrics. Instead, Time Tells All's lyrics tend to be vaguely about chasing dreams taking chances.

As for the instrumentation, the music is clearly taking a backseat to the vocals. It's a good thing their singer has nice pipes, because the guitar hooks and riffs are nothing special. The drumming is notable by virtue of the fact that drums on such low profile releases are often poorly recorded or mixed, but the drum tracks here fit nicely into the songs.

As for the band "living vicariously through an old New Found Glory record," I'm not sure I'd back that statement. There's much more emphasis on the pop side of pop-punk than there was in old NFG material, but that's not to say that Time Tells All doesn't have the potential to be as good as NFG was and is. If they keep working with what they've started, they're headed down the right track.

Tracklisting:
01. Sweep The Nation *
02. Deadline *
03. The Dream
04. Cliff Notes
05. Remember '85

* - standout tracks

For fans of: Cartel, Holiday Parade, Driving East, candy.

Listen: myspace.com/timetellsall
This review is a user submitted review from average_jane. You can see all of average_jane's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
11:33 AM on 05/26/07
0Zero0
User Info.
Great review of a great band. I also suggest checking out the track "All For One" if you can find it.

It's a demo of Remember '85, but it's really good; I think I prefer it over the new track.
05:14 PM on 09/14/07
nufan947
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This band is good, and I enjoy this EP a lot.

However, the production is sooooooo compressed, it almost makes my ears hurt. People need to realize that not everything needs to be loud and punchy.

But good review!
07:11 AM on 06/13/09
denissuxx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Solid band.

I wish they'd release new stuff

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music