Password

Album Review
The Chemist vs. The Computer - Loki Album Cover

The Chemist vs. The Computer - Loki

Reviewed by
The Chemist vs. The Computer - Loki
Released May 20th, 2007
Unsigned

There's been an ongoing conflict between creator and creation. Creators commence creating. Creations begin creating. Modifying and simplifying. At what point does the creation surpass the predecessor? The answer: As soon as we wish to uninvent it.

The subtext of a band name like The Chemist vs. The Computer holds its ground better than others and the introduction (conveniently italicized for you above) is a testament that Loki holds some interesting undertones within the context of vocalist Dan Easton's cleverly put-together lyrics and even within the heavily technical approach the band takes instrumentally. It's abnormal to come across a band this ahead of the game this early but these guys seem to be a surprisingly good anomaly in the post-hardcore scene.

The rapturous ferocity of "Coasting Toward the Tide, Not the Tide" first caught me. Exhibiting aspects of bands like Morning for the Masses with Easton's eloquent-to-hardened vocals and flush instrumental ardor, the song is a breath of fresh air for iPods burdened by hackneyed and gruff post-hardcore guff. The manner in which they conduct themselves is so appealing; you won't be able to pull away until the EP ends. Guitarists Chris Katsaros and Nick Raducha are quite the cohesive unit; constantly alternating between straightaway grinds and euphonious exchanges. On the flipside, bassist Jimmy Wernes and drummer Stephen Carr are the most explosive rhythm section I've heard in recent memory. Wernes sports a unique bass tone, one favoring a deeper and more metallic shine that collides with Carr's lightning fast change-ups and speedy deliveries. If the above descriptions are alluring, imagine what these guys sound like together. The Chemist vs. The Computer is quite the force to reckon with.

"In the Midst of the Mist" is not so much a free-form epic that proves this band's have little to no technical bounds, but more of a mid-album relief for the listener that this band is more than what the first three tracks set them up to be. While the previous songs had a jazzy sort of subtexture, the last few songs are a relentless, up-hill battle royale of crashing drums, politically involved lyrics, screams, and crushing guitars. Even in the depths of chaos in "40 Ways to Raise a Non-Racist Child" and "Same Bat, Same Bat Channel", The Chemist manage to retain their biting technical structure in the face of a more vehement direction.

This is the first review I've done in some time, and its good to stretch my creative muscle and being able to recommend a kickass band at the same time. Loki is the post-hardcore album of the summer and it should not be missed. What you'll find is a constant sonic battle between jarring structures and a smooth political/social conveyance, only ceasing to amaze when you choose to stop listening to it. The Chemist vs. The Computer may be a relatively young band, but these five guys have overturned any previous standards you thought your playlist now had set.
This review is a user submitted review from Scott Irvine. You can see all of Scott Irvine's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 37
01:28 PM on 05/22/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i've liked the songs I have heard from this. Bubuskater is going to go nuts when he sees this, haha. Looks like stardom isn't far off.
02:29 PM on 05/22/07
ATDIdakota
User Info.
jersey wednesday ; )

good job dudes
03:54 PM on 05/22/07
hXc_pwnage
smoke weed errrday
User Info.
I need this cd, I just have the demo.
03:56 PM on 05/22/07
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
04:00 PM on 05/22/07
matt_rawlings
User Info.
Fuckin sweet
04:05 PM on 05/22/07
HolidayFromReal
Use Title
User Info.
Where will we be able to get this CD at?
04:07 PM on 05/22/07
OveriseFan
is not Oversized...
User Info.
I need this cd, I just have the demo.

It's the same as the "demo" with one more song.
04:41 PM on 05/22/07
a speedo model
an enthusiast
User Info.
Great band. I can't wait to get my hands on this.
06:05 PM on 05/22/07
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Really good album.
06:33 PM on 05/22/07
funkel
how to make love stay
User Info.
Ha, user rating of 100%.

But this is really cool. Kudos.
08:18 PM on 05/22/07
bkatsaros
User Info.
WAY TO GO GUYS! YOU ARE ALL VERY CREATIVE. STAY FOCUSED AND YOU WILL GO FAR!
03:54 AM on 05/23/07
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
The songs on Chemist's MySpace are great.
08:53 AM on 05/23/07
jaimej
too caught up in the beautiful
User Info.
So. Good.

<3
10:58 AM on 05/23/07
leftstranded
myspace.com/leftstranded
User Info.
soo good. i'm glad we have a creator of this album as a member of this forum

come to cleveland you bitch!