AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Divided By Friday - Prove It Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7
Production 7
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.83
Musicianship 8.08
Lyrics 6.58
Production 9.42
Creativity 7.83
Lasting Value 8.58
Reviewer Tilt 8.92
Average: 83%
Inside AP.net

Divided By Friday - Prove It

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (08/10/11)
Divided By Friday - Prove It
Release Date: August 30, 2011
Record Label: Hopeless Records

Is it lazy to begin a review by comparing the band being reviewed to one of the most iconic bands to ever rise out of the scene? If it is, then I guess I’m a lazy guy, because Divided By Friday reminds me a lot of Fall Out Boy. It’s easy enough to see why, especially on the Prove It EP.

Lead singer and guitarist Jose Villanueva bears a host of similarities to Patrick Stump in the vocal department, as the opening title track makes clear. This isn’t a bad thing in any way; musically, Divided By Friday and Fall Out Boy don’t share many characteristics other than the fact that you could file them under the same general genre. With driven, distorted guitars, one could say the Prove It EP is a little heavier than even Fall Out Boy’s earlier work.

Villanueva’s steady, never-faltering vocals carry the band. Each of the six songs on the EP have soaring, memorable choruses that make it perfect for the end of summer. Divided By Friday is actually at its full force when Villanueva trades vocals with backup vocalist and guitarist Matt Morgan, like in the chorus of “The Dark Passenger.” The call-and-return style lends to the group’s guitar-oriented musicianship, proven again by potential single “Lost In Limbo.”

Prove It takes a turn for the cliché with “Face To Face,” featuring Tonight Alive frontwoman Jenna McDougall on guest vocals. While the song is one that has been copied plenty, it’s still an attractive number that provides a change of pace in the EP. “Face To Face” is a welcome addition to Prove It, if only to help the six songs avoid bleeding together. The closing song is entitled “Closer,” which almost makes me want to avoid mentioning it, but it really just follows the suit of the rest of the EP, provided a solid but safe ending.

Prove It presumably means that Divided By Friday thinks it’s time to take the next step in their progression. It’s time from the band to, cough, prove that they can hang with the big boys on Hopeless’ roster. And while the Fall Out Boy comparison might be lazy, it’s accurate and it’s not negative. With Prove It, Divided By Friday shows that it can clearly write a multitude of catchy pop-punk numbers, integrating accessible vocals with driven, guitar-oriented melodies. It might not be the most original release, but that hasn’t stopped me from having it on repeat for the past week and a half – and I doubt it will stop soon-to-be fans from enjoying it either.

7/10

Recommended If You LikeTake This To Your Grave, Hit The Lights' This Is A Stickup, Don't Make It A Murder.
Follow Me On TwitterHere in this city, I can sleep in my clothes.
Bare Essentials1. Prove It
2. Growing Up
3. The Dark Passenger
4. Lost In Limbo
5. Face To Face
6. Closer
Facebook Page
Preorder

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
11:39 PM on 08/10/11
more heart
Midtown Saves
User Info.
Whoa. I've always felt these guys were more pop rock than anything else, but the RIYL is definitely gonna make me check this out.
12:30 AM on 08/11/11
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
this album is awesome, definitely sounds like TTTYG at parts.
12:40 AM on 08/11/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Don't look at the score and think it's low. I really liked this EP.
12:44 AM on 08/11/11
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I don't know from what universe people are coming from if they think 7/10 is a low score. Let's hope people aren't weird like that haha
01:04 AM on 08/11/11
HometownHero
User Info.
Need to hear this.
01:04 AM on 08/11/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I don't know from what universe people are coming from if they think 7/10 is a low score. Let's hope people aren't weird like that haha
Yeah but I feel like people (even band members) would see a 70 and be turned off a little. Whatever.
01:29 AM on 08/11/11
Ian Walker
wes craven with x cravings.
User Info.
The comparisons you made really make me want to check this out. Good shit, Nassiff.
01:43 AM on 08/11/11
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
Really talented kids. Great EP. Good review.
05:24 AM on 08/11/11
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
It's pretty good.
05:32 AM on 08/11/11
CoopDawg
The plan keeps coming up again...
User Info.
I need this EP after reading this review.
06:20 AM on 08/11/11
sooperdoodey
User Info.
Singer is 100% lovechild of Patrick Stump and Brendan Urie.

I like it. Good/accurate review.
07:22 AM on 08/11/11
derekrvr
Mr.DRM
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Two years ago I filled in on bass for a local pop rock band in a battle of the bands. These guys were going to come but had another show and canceled. I remember being pumped to win until the piano player turned on one of their songs and said "Yeah, this is the competition."
Wonderful band. Can't wait for this to be released.
08:19 AM on 08/11/11
sjb2k1
User Info.
love this EP. "Prove It" and "Growing Up" are jams.

seriously you will poop yourself when you hear how much he sounds like pat stump/brendan urie
08:44 AM on 08/11/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
I really like Lost In Limbo, although I haven't checked out anything more. I will definitely be checking this out.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums