Username
Password

Article - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 35.
08:17 PM on 08/11/11
thesinkingship
she's a marshmallow
User Info.
They are tangible, and I used to buy CDs by the boatload. The point DandonTRJ was making is that CDs are an unimpressive compromise between portability and tangibility. the music format of a CD can be the exact same as a digital file, so why settle for a smaller medium of artwork?

that being said, vinyl is way too expensive for me and I mostly just buy digital with the occasional CD (after I bought an expensive ipod. hmmmm.)

an excellent article.
I understood the point and I feel the same way. Just saying that CDs are technically tangible.
08:32 PM on 08/11/11
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
the only things i like better about cds in comparison to records is that the booklets that come with cds are more or less always better than the inserts that come with the records, and they are more portable. vinyl is fun, and i do enjoy the larger artwork. i just wish they came with better inserts haha.
09:12 PM on 08/11/11
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
Very interesting read. That last part about how vinyl is a less immediate, yet much higher quality format of music listening really resonated in me. I was actually looking at this group of houses under construction with my grandpa recently and talking about the quality of workmanship today versus in his time. Just like houses are being made out of cheap fiberwood now, mp3s are a cheaper, yet way less valued presentation of music. And, since less thought and more immediacy is put into them, there's so much less respect for the art of it.

If you put a computer in front of me and told me to illegally download an album for a band I like, I would download without much thought. Put me in a store in front of the CD or vinyl stacks and tell me to steal the same record? I couldn't. It's not so much the fact that it's harder to conceal if you steal from a real store so much as there's tangible artwork, lyric sheets, and music pressed on there forever (versus music on a computer/external hard drive that could crash anytime) that shows time and effort on behalf of the artist and label. It's an ass backwards way of looking at things, but it's what matters in this world now: quality. Maybe that's just me, but I like knowing the $10 to $20 I spend buying a band's new piece of music will be worth it.

tl;dr - I like CDs and records more than mp3s. It's about quality. My grandpa and I saw houses being built once. Was pretty cool.
10:47 PM on 08/11/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Very interesting read. That last part about how vinyl is a less immediate, yet much higher quality format of music listening really resonated in me. I was actually looking at this group of houses under construction with my grandpa recently and talking about the quality of workmanship today versus in his time. Just like houses are being made out of cheap fiberwood now, mp3s are a cheaper, yet way less valued presentation of music. And, since less thought and more immediacy is put into them, there's so much less respect for the art of it.

If you put a computer in front of me and told me to illegally download an album for a band I like, I would download without much thought. Put me in a store in front of the CD or vinyl stacks and tell me to steal the same record? I couldn't. It's not so much the fact that it's harder to conceal if you steal from a real store so much as there's tangible artwork, lyric sheets, and music pressed on there forever (versus music on a computer/external hard drive that could crash anytime) that shows time and effort on behalf of the artist and label. It's an ass backwards way of looking at things, but it's what matters in this world now: quality. Maybe that's just me, but I like knowing the $10 to $20 I spend buying a band's new piece of music will be worth it.

tl;dr - I like CDs and records more than mp3s. It's about quality. My grandpa and I saw houses being built once. Was pretty cool.
I lol'ed at your tl;dr version, but I agree with everything you said.
12:30 AM on 08/12/11
Nick Le
Yeezy taught me.
User Info.
Thomas. I like your article.
01:01 AM on 08/12/11
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Good read. I've never been in to vinyl because I don't have any way of playing them but I can definitely see the appeal. I'll always prefer a hard copy though.
01:18 AM on 08/12/11
HometownHero
User Info.
Nick Le is sexy as fuck. Would listen to him read me sweet nothings as long as that shit was pressed on vinyl first.
06:17 AM on 08/12/11
_veges_
User Info.
To me, when I listen to a vinyl record, I feel like it's a piece of art, and I don't get that feeling on any other format
06:56 AM on 08/12/11
Sunken In
All I think about is floating away
User Info.
the only things i like better about cds in comparison to records is that the booklets that come with cds are more or less always better than the inserts that come with the records, and they are more portable. vinyl is fun, and i do enjoy the larger artwork. i just wish they came with better inserts haha.

Not sure if I agree with this. I have some records that have giant full page inserts, and all the lyrics are right there. Or they are beautiful full page illustrations/photographs etc OR the inside of the record itself is printed with the lyrics or pictures which makes it feel more like I'm reading a huge hardcover book and not a little tiny flyer.

At any rate, I stopped buying CDs. I will only buy records now on vinyl.
07:16 AM on 08/12/11
WordsandMusic
User Info.
Great article! The quote from Matt Pryor really resonates with me.
08:41 AM on 08/12/11
ellie117
EAGLES, Phillies, Flyers, tacos.
User Info.
Great read, very much enjoyed the input from Matt Pryor.
09:00 AM on 08/12/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Thomas. I like your article.
09:43 PM on 08/12/11
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
Not sure if I agree with this. I have some records that have giant full page inserts, and all the lyrics are right there. Or they are beautiful full page illustrations/photographs etc OR the inside of the record itself is printed with the lyrics or pictures which makes it feel more like I'm reading a huge hardcover book and not a little tiny flyer.

At any rate, I stopped buying CDs. I will only buy records now on vinyl.
i mean, the inserts are large, but they're more often than not just a single page with the lyrics and a few pictures on them. they don't have quite the same feel that a cd booklet has, where each song can have its own page rather than being lost on a page with lyrics to the other ten songs. maybe it's just a personal preference, but i like having multiple small pages rather than a single large one.
08:40 AM on 08/14/11
Alison1488
____
User Info.
This was a great article! I know I personally love vinyl for many reasons. Firstly, feeling like I was born in the wrong decade, listening to vinyl is like taking a ride in a time machine. I can experience music the way my parents did as a kid. Secondly, it really has allowed me to bond with my dad. He has this extensive vinyl collection of the best classic rock around, and now he let's me borrow his records and we talk about the albums. I really value those discussions. Lastly, I love that I am now building my own personal vinyl collection of the musicians I love today. It's so cool to listen to The Starting Line or Jimmy Eat World on vinyl. I hope one day I'll be able to hand down my collection to my kids like my dad is now doing for me.
12:52 AM on 08/17/11
EasySkankin
User Info.
There is zero substance behind saying that vinyl has a higher quality than CD. You could say it's subjectively "better", but that's because the mastering process gives it a different tint that can be in many ways inferior to a high resolution CD. You can't reproduce bass in the lowest of frequencies because the groove would be too deep and cause skipping, and higher frequencies begin to roll off on a vinyl master lower than on a more accurate digital representation. You lose range and crispness in the high end as soon you put the needle down.

You can say you like the sound better and its organic and subjective blah blah blah but digital is simply more accurate, even though it's admittedly not as "cool" to play some high quality audio from a computer or cd player than slapping on a plate and letting the needle down. Really though the kind of system you're listening on makes 100000x more of a difference than the format. In order to really hear the difference of high quality audio you need a complete and accurate playback system.
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version