AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Psychic Babble - My Brother's Ears/My Sister's Eyes Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 7.75
Production 9
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.92
Musicianship 9.33
Lyrics 8.92
Production 9.33
Creativity 9.58
Lasting Value 8.83
Reviewer Tilt 9.42
Average: 92%

Psychic Babble - My Brother's Ears/My Sister's Eyes

Reviewed by: Adam Pfleider (08/15/11)
Psychic Babble - My Brother's Ears/My Sister's Eyes
Record Label: Yenta Records
Release Date: August 16th, 2011

Sometimes playing an instrument in a band and not fronting one isn't always glamorous on the surface. Some people tend to get hooked on the person belting out vocals and stage presence and forget that the piece presented in front of them is a band and that greatness is achieved as a unit of mixed talent pulling influence from many ends. When it comes to Circa Survive, Anthony Green sometimes indirectly takes front and center for some. With the release of his solo album in 2008, Green stepped out into his own workings for a minute. Three years later, the man who helped co-found Circa Survive with Green is stepping out into his own solo piece of art as well. Colin Frangicetto's project, Psychic Babble is a stunning piece of work from beginning to end. It's not what you'd expect from former This Day Forward drummer and current guitar swirler in terms of "heavy" expectations, but it's an album that carries you in its stride.

Frangicetto has taken a bit of an electronic approach to execute My Brother's Ears/My Sister's Eyes, but his incorporation of haunting vocals and layered guitar work make for quite a moving picture. The album's tracking is what makes the experience even better though. It doesn't start strong, but slowly climbs as the listener is engulfed in the duration of the ten tracks. In fact, the opening and closing numbers ("Five Fold Kiss [Don't Sleep]" and "Harper") are possibly the weakest on the album. They do their job of setting the tone, but don't expand and contract as well as "You Said It" and "Follow Your Bliss" does in their production value and architectural structuring. Like much of the great indie pop available today, Frangicetto's additions of well placed claps and tambourine for rhythmic support on "Samantha" make it an accessibly pleasing track worthy of early Beach Boys influence. The keys and organ on "Crocodile Tears" make for a very strong melody against Frangicetto's vocals.

Much of My Brother's Ears/My Sister's Eyes does tend to bleed together for the most part, but it's a wonderful blend of an experience at that. I also enjoy the way Frangicetto uses spoken word to interlude some tracks like purposely clearing white noise to get a certain point and/or thought heard throughout. He has created quite a pop gem as a solo piece with Psychic Babble's debut album. The biggest shame is that it's coming along at the end of the summer as opposed to the beginning for which its music fits more perfectly. No matter the season, no matter your opinion of Circa Survive or This Day Forward, Frangicetto's artistic abilities have reached themselves into something completely different from his past works all together with this release - and he pulls it off stunningly. Roll back the sunroof, find a a highway against the coast or a rural road somewhere at sunset and enjoy one more relaxing hour left of the bright glow of the season.

Track Listing1. Five Fold Kiss (Don't Sleep)
2. Nothing Familiar
3. Samantha**
4. Radio Songs
5. You Said It*
6. Crocodile Years*
7. Boulevard
8. Let Me Change
9. Follow Your Bliss**
10. Harper

*key tracks

Reminds Me OfBeach Boy's Surf's Up; Margot and the Nuclear So and So's Animal; Thrice's The Alchemy Index: Water

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
05:07 PM on 08/15/11
eriatarka24
User Info.
Amen.

Follow Your Bliss blows me away.
05:12 PM on 08/15/11
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
Reminds you of Water, eh? Will check this out.
08:18 PM on 08/15/11
babyg703
User Info.
Love everything about this album. This is some good listening tunes.
06:52 PM on 08/17/11
Burn_Burn_Burn
Zeus to a Kronos
User Info.
Amen.

Follow Your Bliss blows me away.
funny you point out the only song that was supposed to be a circa song
11:34 PM on 08/17/11
fifpb99
User Info.
much of circa, other than anthony, goes unnoticed by a lot of fans. if you missed how talented he is in circa, you cant miss it here. great stuff.
12:37 PM on 08/18/11
Deathco_019
I demand a trial by combat.
User Info.
Really need to get this. This could be top 10 material for me from Five Fold Kiss and You Said It.
12:55 PM on 08/18/11
eriatarka24
User Info.
funny you point out the only song that was supposed to be a circa song
I also like "Five Fold Kiss (Don't Sleep)" "Radio Songs" "You Said It" and "Nothing Familiar" just as much, haha
05:02 PM on 08/18/11
MattRM
She didn't turn out to be that cool
User Info.
Nice review! I enjoyed reading it, and it made me check this album out - I'm definitely a fan.
04:23 AM on 08/19/11
valencourt
Oh well, okay.
User Info.
I was wondering if anyone else felt a Beach Boys influence in there. Awesome album, great review!
04:35 AM on 08/19/11
Alligator Blood
/////////////////
User Info.
Never really been into Circa Survive but being as I trusted your reviews of Sainthood Rep's Monoculture and Manchester Orchestra's Simple Math, i'll give it a go. Playing Follow Your Bliss at the moment. It's a good track.
08:36 AM on 08/19/11
AdamChildress
Wondrous Oblivion.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great record =)
09:19 AM on 08/19/11
fifpb99
User Info.
Never really been into Circa Survive but being as I trusted your reviews of Sainthood Rep's Monoculture and Manchester Orchestra's Simple Math, i'll give it a go. Playing Follow Your Bliss at the moment. It's a good track.
not a fan of circa!?! might wanna keep that to yourself around here ;P
09:24 AM on 08/19/11
Alligator Blood
/////////////////
User Info.
not a fan of circa!?! might wanna keep that to yourself around here ;P
If you know of a song by them that you think is strong enough to convert me to the Circa ways, shoot away, i'm always open to suggestion.
09:41 AM on 08/19/11
fifpb99
User Info.
If you know of a song by them that you think is strong enough to convert me to the Circa ways, shoot away, i'm always open to suggestion.
First release

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2mpzfOUhyY

newest release

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn6NgyC3qBc

personal favorite, off their newest ep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXkA92Si5_Y

hopefully there is something here for you

EDIT: sorry for blowing up psychic babbles thread with circa, wont happen again :)
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests