Username
Password
General Announcement News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
General Announcement
Inside AP.net

Loaded Rock Shows Looking For Interns

Posted by: Christian Wagner (08/18/11)
Loaded Rock Shows is currently seeking interns for the Fall semester. You must be located near Long Island/New York City for the job. Check out the rest of the details here.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13.
11:13 AM on 08/18/11
hiya
User Info.
Does this have to be for college credit?
11:35 AM on 08/18/11
RobisLegend
I miss The Movielife
User Info.
I interned for these guys a few years back, and unless things have changed drastically, its not a good experience.

My only responsibility was to hand out flyers at shows. That's it. I'd have to pay my own way to get to the shows (no matter where the might be and the costs involved - no reimbursement), hand out flyers outside the venue, and then check in that I was done, and maybe come back and get more flyers. I once got a call at 11:30PM asking me to come in to the office now, pick up flyers, drive 90 minutes to a venue, and hand out flyers - and was pissed when I said I couldn't (I mean, I had work the next day at 730AM). I never learned anything about promotions, booking, set-up - no experience. I was a glorified street team member.

I was hoping to learn booking strategy, negotiations, promotion avenues. All I learned was how to get someone else to throw out a piece of paper. Not worth it. If you want to intern, look to city venues or labels. After this, I interned @ Columbia Records, and had a really good experience there.

Maybe I just had a negative experience. Maybe I was anomaly. Maybe the experience has drastically changed and is a great learning center now. Who knows? All I can say is I was severely disappointed in what the experience was and actually regret wasting time on it.

-Rob
11:49 AM on 08/18/11
Dob
partypartyparty
User Info.
I interned for these guys a few years back, and unless things have changed drastically, its not a good experience.

My only responsibility was to hand out flyers at shows. That's it. I'd have to pay my own way to get to the shows (no matter where the might be and the costs involved - no reimbursement), hand out flyers outside the venue, and then check in that I was done, and maybe come back and get more flyers. I once got a call at 11:30PM asking me to come in to the office now, pick up flyers, drive 90 minutes to a venue, and hand out flyers - and was pissed when I said I couldn't (I mean, I had work the next day at 730AM). I never learned anything about promotions, booking, set-up - no experience. I was a glorified street team member.

I was hoping to learn booking strategy, negotiations, promotion avenues. All I learned was how to get someone else to throw out a piece of paper. Not worth it. If you want to intern, look to city venues or labels. After this, I interned @ Columbia Records, and had a really good experience there.

Maybe I just had a negative experience. Maybe I was anomaly. Maybe the experience has drastically changed and is a great learning center now. Who knows? All I can say is I was severely disappointed in what the experience was and actually regret wasting time on it.

-Rob
Hey,

I've been with Loaded for a year or two now and it's definitely changed. Not sure who you "interned" under but its definitely not that. I'm sorry you've been misled.

We actually had our first successful summer with interns in the office and I think I could say it was a great experience for both. One of the interns got a chance to book their own show and many times they actually worked at one of the venues to help set up sound production and stage production for some of the national acts we hosted.

I actually have interned with different companies and I hate when they claim an internship is that and you just pass out flyers. I can assure you we have an office, office hours and do a lot more than booking shows. We are based in a recording studio and we've had interns work with the audio engineers here as well.

Once again, I am sorry you had a negative experience but that was before my time.

If you have any questions and if anyone wants to discuss this or anything else please shoot me an email at loadedrockshows@gmail.com
12:15 PM on 08/18/11
Dob
partypartyparty
User Info.
Does this have to be for college credit?
it doesn't have to be!
12:31 PM on 08/18/11
katiedontcryx41
we found our own reasons to sing
User Info.
too bad i don't get my license until the winter. (baby hur)
12:39 PM on 08/18/11
RobisLegend
I miss The Movielife
User Info.
Hey,

I've been with Loaded for a year or two now and it's definitely changed. Not sure who you "interned" under but its definitely not that. I'm sorry you've been misled.

We actually had our first successful summer with interns in the office and I think I could say it was a great experience for both. One of the interns got a chance to book their own show and many times they actually worked at one of the venues to help set up sound production and stage production for some of the national acts we hosted.

I actually have interned with different companies and I hate when they claim an internship is that and you just pass out flyers. I can assure you we have an office, office hours and do a lot more than booking shows. We are based in a recording studio and we've had interns work with the audio engineers here as well.

Once again, I am sorry you had a negative experience but that was before my time.

If you have any questions and if anyone wants to discuss this or anything else please shoot me an email at loadedrockshows@gmail.com

Hey, this was around 2006/2007, so it's definitely been a while. I was reporting into Dave (last name omitted/forgotten lol). He used to run shows out of the Donkey and The Downtown (when it was open. RIP The Downtown). Sounds like it's a much better experience nowadays.
01:38 PM on 08/18/11
TFP
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Not sure if Dave is still around but my bands and I have dealt with him for a couple of shows a few years back. Not the best attitude & definitely cared more about getting his money than treating the bands right (though we did get a hot buffet before the shows at the donkey). He may or may not have pulled shady stuff in parking lot too. If he's still there just take caution before committing to anything.
01:48 PM on 08/18/11
Horneyman71
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I never post here, in fact it may be my first post, but I just wanted to say that Dob is a great guy.

My band has booked a bunch of shows with him in the past and he has always been very cool with everything, and always followed up, trying to get us more, better shows, with better slots, opening for national acts, etc.

So while in the past there may have been a bad experience, I would be willing to say that Dob wouldn't let an intern solely pass out pieces of paper that everyone throws away.

ps. Hi Dob! (I'm Ben, from All I Can Say)
03:08 PM on 08/18/11
mattplayscheap
plays with squirrels
User Info.
Dob is one of the greatest people I know!
12:18 AM on 08/19/11
DanxOfxTNBx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Team Dave FTW!!!!!
12:48 AM on 08/19/11
JoePending
User Info.
Dob is my fuckin' dude! Great guy!
10:31 AM on 08/19/11
bobthebaker81
User Info.