Username
Password
Contest News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Contest
Inside AP.net

Contest: Paper + Plastick Toy

Posted by: Thomas Nassiff (08/18/11)
Edit: The contest is now over and the winners have been selected. Thanks to everyone who entered.

Paper + Plastick Records is putting up its Paper + Plastick Toy for sale beginning tomorrow. The toy stands 7 inches tall and has a black matte finish, is limited to only 67 units and is being sold for $60. We've teamed up with the label to offer a contest where the grand prize is one of these toys. Second prize wins a pack of the label's recent releases and third prize wins a 3-pack of 7"s. Head to the replies for more info, including what you have to do to win.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 61.
10:11 AM on 08/18/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Contest ThingsTo win, write a short (or long, whatever) blurb about this:

Paper + Plastick aims to blend art and music by offering one-of-a-kind physical, limited products to its customers. Why is physical media important to you? Why do you prefer vinyl (or CDs, for that matter) to digital music? Tell us why you love physical, limited products as much as we do.

Grand Prize: Paper + Plastick Toy

Second Place: Pack of all recent Paper + Plastick releases: Shook Ones repress, We Are The Union repress, Jon Gaunt/Greenland Is Melting 7", Protagonist 7", Jon Snodgrass & Friends 7", Have Nots 12" (not for sale yet!), Dopamines/Dear Landlord split 7" (not for sale yet!), and maybe we'll throw in a couple of CDs too.

Third Place: Three-pack of 7"s: Jon Gaunt/Greenland Is Melting split, Jon Snodgrass and Friends, Protagonist.

All colored vinyl.
10:15 AM on 08/18/11
Evolution Kid
Audio Engineer
User Info.
When it comes to buying records (or cds) of my favorite bands, I love being able to hold a whole package together as one piece of work. It takes a collection of songs and helps embody the idea of an album as a whole, from the art, to the liner notes, to being able to read along with the lyrics as you listen to the music. It's not just a collection of songs you can download, it's a whole album with a lot of effort and thought and art put into it for release. And that is why there will always be a place on my shelf for special vinyl or cd sets.
10:18 AM on 08/18/11
_veges_
User Info.
I like physical copies of music so much more because it gives you a real feeling that what you're listening to is art not just cheap entertainment. It is also a much better way to support the band.
10:18 AM on 08/18/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Second place is for real almost as awesome as first place. This toy is so badass though. Hope lots of kids enter. Try to get your entries in by tonight.
10:26 AM on 08/18/11
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
Who in their right mind would pay that kind of money for a figurine?
10:33 AM on 08/18/11
sagamore
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I like the physical products because you can put them on display and show off how great your musical taste is. Then, when people come over they can see the cool stuff on your walls and ask what it is - and, thus, a new fan is born. Can't do that with digital files.
10:38 AM on 08/18/11
ragnarokstar
it's just a case of flash delirium
User Info.
I prefer vinyl to other formats for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, is the sound quality. After compression MP3's lose a lot of what the artist wanted the listener to hear. A good vinyl record on a quality turntable makes music take on a whole new life. I also love vinyl for the artwork. Artists put a lot of work into the final product and packaging and it can not be replaced by digital formats. Being able to read liner notes while listening to a record is something everybody should get to experience. The collector in me also loves vinyl because a lot of artists do limited pressings and color variants that make obtaining one even more of a pleasure. All in all, vinyl is the best way to experience music and I hope that all artists take note of how awesome vinyl is.
10:49 AM on 08/18/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Who in their right mind would pay that kind of money for a figurine?
There are only 67, they are 7 inches tall and they're handcrafted. Kids who like records might not pay for it, but toy collectors know why it costs this much. Toys like this can even go for a lot more.
10:57 AM on 08/18/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Since the inception of the "digital age" of music, there has shift in the way people buy, absorb and are attached music as an art form. The saddest thing about the whole situation is this: the album as its own entity or fully formed idea. The "album" has now been degraded to one-off singles and EPs that can only tell part of the story - feeding into our ADD-ridden generation of fleeting attention spans and the sickening ability of track-by-track downloads on iTunes.

Not too many years ago, aside from Top 40 radio, the album was meant to be a fully fleshed-out artistic statement - one that was meant to be taken as a whole to illustrate a specific state of mind, emotion, time or theme. Some more grandiose than others, but on a whole, there is usually an underlying message or at least characteristics that can be drawn from a complete work from a specific artist that cannot be gained by listening to a single or a "hit" song.

Some artists still buy into this ideology, striving to connect with their fans by making complete statements to get their points across. These are often met with mixed results on the consumer end - iTunes is to blame here. You've seen other people's ipods: you see an artist you can vibe with, hit enter and find out they only have the song that everyone and their grandma knows and you move on. It's degrading to the artist and it's degrading to yourself as a listener.

I could go on, but it can be summed up here rather quickly: the reason I buy vinyl and only put full albums on my ipod is because I don't believe in "deep cits" necessarily. If you like/listen to an artist you should like them and explore what they have to offer as a whole, not just a glimpse through a single song. That's the beauty of vinyl: there is no skip button. You play a side all the way through and you flip it over. It forces you to be an explorer. You are consciously, or maybe forced, to experience the music/album as it was intended. You experience it's sequencing, you experience the artwork and you experience the ART as it was intended.

That's why I love and am an advocate of vinyl and the idea of the "album." Hold it, look at it, listen to it. Experience it.
10:58 AM on 08/18/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Second place is for real almost as awesome as first place. This toy is so badass though. Hope lots of kids enter. Try to get your entries in by tonight.

Is this where we post responses??

Also, pardon any typos - not gonna go through that on my phone.
11:02 AM on 08/18/11
mickmadethelist
Troy and Abed on the iiiiiinternet
User Info.
To be able to hold something in your hands and read the liner notes and look at he artwork makes the entire experience of music matter. It seems to just hold something deeper if you have it in hand. I have bought albums based on the cover art alone. While sifting through a record shop something can pop out at you and they might be one of your new favorite bands, and that is way better of a story than "I found it through youtube videos". And if my computer crashes, I still have all my music.
11:08 AM on 08/18/11
jjnunn118
The Alternative Review
User Info.
It's really simple. Actually being able to hold, touch, and feel the album, feel every groove and inlay in the vinyl is what connects me to an album. I used to download and I knew alot of music but there were very few artists I was truly a fan of because I had access to anything I wanted and I took all that for granted. Once I started purchasing cds, and later on vinyl, I started appreciating it more and started looking into bands. Who they were, where they come from, what got them there and I started really appreciating music more than I did. Actually having a physical album, especially if it's a super limited album (looks at my physical copy of Fall Of Troy's Phantom on the Horizon) allows me to form an emotional connection with the music.
11:12 AM on 08/18/11
Rodeo
User Info.
I like the Mickey Mouse gloves!

P+P rocks and this is a rad contest. I would definitely wear that mask as a Halloween costume!
11:14 AM on 08/18/11
Rodeo
User Info.
There are only 67, they are 7 inches tall and they're handcrafted. Kids who like records might not pay for it, but toy collectors know why it costs this much. Toys like this can even go for a lot more.

Just tell them that the vinyl used to make the toys are from recycled test presses.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS