Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 5 posts.
03:33 PM on 05/28/07
guitarnick20
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
A 10 on vocals is just silly though, Steve.

His range simply does not warrant a 10.

Since when is 2 and a half octaves considered a really big range? I thought 3 or higher was impressive. I also disagree with the 10 on the vocals. Anthony does so much better on this album than on Juturna, and I've been giving this album a serious listen. I think this album meshes less than Juturna did and it's a ton better than Juturna especially in the vocal area. But I don't see the vocal talent everyone keeps talking about. Potential to be a vocal talent is much different... I would hope he continues to progress, at a faster rate also, but either way. I about 60 % of his melodies are good on this album, 20 are decent and the other 20 are just plain awful. I can already hear where he's going to be incredibly flat live on half of these songs.
09:29 PM on 05/29/07
guitarnick20
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't believe Anthony dominates the high end at all, I think he strains real hard to hit any notes up there and sounds way better in his mid range. The midrange singing on this album is great, the high end sounds like screaming or yelling, not singing, which is unfortunate cause we have yet to see whether or not he can do this without screaming the notes.

The album does get better, give it a few listens, they're just not where I wanted them to be.
04:47 PM on 05/30/07
guitarnick20
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think his high end strain is entirely intentional as an expression of passion and emotion.

Well I look at singers like Jeff Buckley who sang parts that high without sounding like they're singing through their throats and still sound extremely emotional without the straining sound. Anthony sounds like he's singing from his throat the whole album, very bad technique and I don't see that as emotional, I see that as not knowing how to sing and needing to strain because it's the only way you can hit the notes.
06:54 PM on 05/30/07
guitarnick20
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
See, I would argue that is a useless comparison of two different singers with two different styles. I am pretty sure that he could sing differently, but chooses not to.

If he can sing differently then he should show it, cause everything he does sounds like this when he sings that high. It sounds uncontrolled and unrefined. Either way though, I like the album, so I'd say we can agree to disagree, I would love to continue this over aim or something though you can im me at my username with a y after the k in nick. that's all.
05:41 PM on 05/31/07
guitarnick20
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I would expect someone who knows and plays music to be able to separate the differences moreso than most other people...interesting.

I think a lot of the middle songs on Juturna sound very much alike and even people who love the album agree with me. Those tracks from like 4 - 8 blend together too much, then Oh Hello just explodes. That song and the song that follow are the best songs on the album I think because they really don't sound like any other song at all. On On Letting Go not too many of the songs actually sound that much alike where you get lost in the album like that.

This is why I like The Mars Volta though, I get lost within their songs but each song on an album sounds distinctly and decidedly different from the one before which is the problem I have with Circa because if they wanted to make a 4 part song, they should've denoted it as opposed to just made four separate songs.

Handshakes At Sunrise is still my favorite Circa song though.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums