Username
Password

Album Review - Page 10
Displaying posts 135 - 150 of 197.
11:08 AM on 05/29/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
I dont really see how an album can get 90% when it progressed very very little on its predecessor and treads scant new ground musical as a whole.
Um, it progressed quite a bit. And I would rate Juturna in the 90s as well, so the continuation of that sound is not a bad thing at all for most fans.

And the only reason they do not "cover new ground" or whatever is because THEY laid the groundwork they are revisiting. I love how people whine if a band changes their sound, and whine if they don't. Circa did about half and half, and people still bitch. There is no pleasing some.
11:19 AM on 05/29/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
I like bands to change their sound, it is a good idea in thoery, but obviously if they change to something i dont like i will be disappointed. Not that i'd want them to recreate the old sound but that i disliked the new sound.

And i believe Dredg laid the groundwork for Circa Survives entire career. Regardless of that, a lack of musical progression is not something to be applauded. Just take a look at NOFX or Pennywise who makes the same album every three years.
I agree a bit on the nod to Dredg, but I think Circa is a lot more instrospective and thoughtful. Both bands are incredible, and both have great vocalists, so it works out that way.

I do not think you are listening hard enough to this record if you think it is the same as Juturna. If you ignore the production (which the band is aware of), then there is a lot of progress on On Letting Go, you just have to listen to it. More riffs, different mix, greater use of hooks, etc etc etc, no?
11:34 AM on 05/29/07
shinealight
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Steve Henderson: you are righteous, I agree with this review. Do you know if it was put out on vinyl? If so, and if the split was six tracks to a side, side one of On Letting Go would be up there with side two of The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle. You note the funky breakdowns in Mandala-- I personally dig that song more than the others on the album. Also, would you agree that Circa Survive has a very good knack for crafting amazing bridges (like the one a minute and a half into "In The Morning and Amazing")?
11:48 AM on 05/29/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Most albums will have some differences though, for the fact it is different songs, recorded with different instruments on different equaipment in a different studio. If you scratch beyond this i really dont see the progression.

For example TBS's three albums sound different but as actual songs all three are near identical. Thats how i see the Circa Survive situation although obviously they have extended their sound a little more than TBS.
Haha, TBS's albums sound different because they dismantled the band after the first one, blew goats on the second one, and halfway tried to make up for it on the third one.
11:57 AM on 05/29/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Steve Henderson: you are righteous, I agree with this review. Do you know if it was put out on vinyl? If so, and if the split was six tracks to a side, side one of On Letting Go would be up there with side two of The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle. You note the funky breakdowns in Mandala-- I personally dig that song more than the others on the album. Also, would you agree that Circa Survive has a very good knack for crafting amazing bridges (like the one a minute and a half into "In The Morning and Amazing")?
Thanks, man...appreciate it.

And yes, I do appreciate pretty much all aspects of Circa's song construction - their segues, bridges, breakdows - all of it is top notch, and it is special that they are not showy about it. They just kind of do their thing and don't draw attention to themselves.
12:34 PM on 05/29/07
FaceLixeMurder
Amplitude!
User Info.
I agree, Living Together is the my favorite so far, although on Juturna my favorite song changed many times
01:29 PM on 05/29/07
imtimwhoareyou
Student, photographer, etc.
User Info.
I dont really see how an album can get 90% when it progressed very very little on its predecessor and treads scant new ground musical as a whole.

Does something ALWAYS have to tread new ground to be good or even incredible? Ground-breaking and amazing are two nearly unrelated things, though ground-breaking things, in many cases, are or lead to things that are incredible. However, by no means does that make things that aren't ground-breaking or even new by those standards not incredible.

In addition, I'm pretty sure it's fair to review an album on its own merits rather than another album's.

To Steve: Thank you both for well-put together reviews both now and in the past and hopefully in the future, in addition to making me listen to their old CD again. It's been a while and I didn't really give it a fair chance the first time.
01:33 PM on 05/29/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Does something ALWAYS have to tread new ground to be good or even incredible? Ground-breaking and amazing are two nearly unrelated things, though ground-breaking things, in many cases, are or lead to things that are incredible. However, by no means does that make things that aren't ground-breaking or even new by those standards not incredible.

In addition, I'm pretty sure it's fair to review an album on its own merits rather than another album's.

To Steve: Thank you both for well-put together reviews both now and in the past and hopefully in the future, in addition to making me listen to their old CD again. It's been a while and I didn't really give it a fair chance the first time.

Well said on the originality, and thanks for the support...it is much appreciated.
01:50 PM on 05/29/07
MyHereAfter
User Info.
Um, it progressed quite a bit. And I would rate Juturna in the 90s as well, so the continuation of that sound is not a bad thing at all for most fans.

And the only reason they do not "cover new ground" or whatever is because THEY laid the groundwork they are revisiting. I love how people whine if a band changes their sound, and whine if they don't. Circa did about half and half, and people still bitch. There is no pleasing some.

I couldn't agree more with you :) good review I can't wait to pick it up.
03:24 PM on 05/29/07
hxchairstylist
Hair on Mars
User Info.
wow. I'm on a bus coming back from vancouver canada, and reading this review only enhances my anticipation to get home so I can buy this cd. As I haven't even listened to it, I can't comment at all, but from the review, it seems to be another amazing effort. even if it sounds like juturna volume two, what the fuck is wrong with that? that cd is amazing! progression is always appreciated, but what people really would bitch about would be regression. fans should be grateful that this band didn't make a "shitty" record.

steve, amazing review. you have continued to set the bar high when it comes to reviews. I felt where you were coming from with every line.
03:39 PM on 05/29/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
wow. I'm on a bus coming back from vancouver canada, and reading this review only enhances my anticipation to get home so I can buy this cd. As I haven't even listened to it, I can't comment at all, but from the review, it seems to be another amazing effort. even if it sounds like juturna volume two, what the fuck is wrong with that? that cd is amazing! progression is always appreciated, but what people really would bitch about would be regression. fans should be grateful that this band didn't make a "shitty" record.

steve, amazing review. you have continued to set the bar high when it comes to reviews. I felt where you were coming from with every line.

Thanks
04:19 PM on 05/29/07
hxchairstylist
Hair on Mars
User Info.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives