Username
Password

Album Review - Page 4
Displaying posts 45 - 60 of 197.
01:26 PM on 05/28/07
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
For me, it is just hard to imagine anyone else signing on this record like Anthony does, and that is why I scored his vocals so high.

I'll give you that, man. It can't be reproduced.
01:29 PM on 05/28/07
concernedparent
I'm very concerned.
User Info.
90? hahah. alright then.
01:32 PM on 05/28/07
wellhello
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
dang, i wasnt expecting that high of a score. good review dude.
01:46 PM on 05/28/07
tedE
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The band themselves said they don't like how the production/mixing turned out and how they didn't want a Juturna 2.0 even though thats how it turned out. So how about all you haters STFU, considering even the band recognizes the album's faults?
01:48 PM on 05/28/07
CircaSin
The All-New 2014 Corolla
User Info.
I think this whole argument about people not liking the new album is like a damned if they do damned if they dont situation..
If a band changes it's sound to something different people claim they soldout to a more likable sound, while people that like it say they just matured...

I mean how else would you like to hear Mr Green? You want pop go listen to him in early Zoloff. You want acoustic go see him solo and download the old high and driving demos. You want to hear him screech, listen to TSOAF ep, you want him to wine and scream like a scene band you have the saosin ep. This is Circa Survive, this is what they sound like.

Circa first off didnt make the same cd twice, even the songs like living together or on letting go (ones you said sound like Juntura B-sides) I don't feel sound like any other song on Juntura. The guitars are much more apparent and outfront in this cd, the production more crisp, the chorus' a bit more planned, not as much a mood record as it is an all together rock record...Last record they had obvious stand out songs that could be plucked out of the cd (act appalled, oh hello, stop the car, house of leaves) this one feels more like one solid flowing cd. All in all they've kept their sound but the songs still have a different sound and can be differentiated.

I feel if people hate this cd and liked juntura, they must of just had some pent up hate towards them for their fan base maybe, because i dont see how making a cd with solid music while staying true to their sound is a bad thing...it's still one of the best releases thusfar this year, and I think got a far lower score than it deserved to other cds i saw that were given better scores (an angle? are you serious?)
01:49 PM on 05/28/07
Gumbyjag
Everything Evil
User Info.
Quote:
There is a reason straight dudes have man-crushes on Green, and his performance on this album does nothing to dissuade these inappropriate thoughts.

Funny but inappropriate. Remember, you're reviewing an album. Anthony's performance has everything to do with your review but nothing to do with the fact that straight dudes have man-crushes on him, relevance is the key. Other than that, great review, it made me want the album even more.
01:52 PM on 05/28/07
subtledagger
User Info.
Steve, i really like the review but i disagree with calling some of the other songs juturna b-sides. This album brings so much more than juturna did. Juturna felt like they were just playing to let anything wail his amazing voice. On this cd everything shines from guitar part to drum beat. The verses and hooks are all so much better. It will inevitably sound like juturna upon first listen because its circa (but after listening to it many times as you recomend) it sounds like a much bigger progression from these proggers. But all in all great review and interview steve, i love your stuff.
01:52 PM on 05/28/07
Spadde
User Info.
good album, just not good enough to keep my attention. I easily get lost (not in the good way) while listening to the album. Im not saying its bad, but I dont think the lasting value is that great.

Vocals kick major ass though
01:53 PM on 05/28/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Funny but inappropriate. Remember, you're reviewing an album. Anthony's performance has everything to do with your review but nothing to do with the fact that straight dudes have man-crushes on him, relevance is the key. Other than that, great review, it made me want the album even more.

I was saying people have man-crushes on him for his vocal talent, not his sexiness or whatever. I am in awe of his abilities, and idolize him as a singer, as do countless others. That is where that one was going.
01:57 PM on 05/28/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
good album, just not good enough to keep my attention. I easily get lost (not in the good way) while listening to the album. Im not saying its bad, but I dont think the lasting value is that great.

Vocals kick major ass though
See, I would say what you describe contributes to the lasting appeal. The fact that sometimes the songs sound cluttered or stacked makes me want to listen that much more to dissect them.

One of the best experiences I had was where I took the time to listen to the record the entire length through, just listening to one component - vocals, drums, guitars, bass - on its own. That is what helped me to appreciate everything this band is capable of putting together.
01:57 PM on 05/28/07
March_Faster!!
まくどなるどなしじゃいきられない。
User Info.
Killer fuckin' album. My personal favorite is, "The only difference between medicine...".
01:58 PM on 05/28/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
I think got a far lower score than it deserved to other cds i saw that were given better scores (an angle? are you serious?)
I definitely did not review An Angle.
02:07 PM on 05/28/07
SLADE775
Still the greatest
User Info.
I love this album.

Finally, a band decides not to change to some new, shitty, sound.
02:08 PM on 05/28/07
SLADE775
Still the greatest
User Info.
A 10 on vocals is just silly though, Steve.

His range simply does not warrant a 10.
02:10 PM on 05/28/07
subtledagger
User Info.
steve, i was just wondering what you thought of the lyrics because outside of the score you didn't get into them as much as other parts.

what did you like and what didn't you like?

I thought ,although they werent great ,they were by far mr. green's most mature and cohesive lyrics to date, without losing his style.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums