Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 3 posts
06:13 AM on 08/19/11
waitrewindthat
also known as hobbes.
User Info.
This is amazing. Just as House of Balloons was...crazy to think they hit 80,000 downloads in 20 minutes alone.

Hey music industry, pay the fuck attention...2 of the best albums this year were freeeeee.
08:38 AM on 08/19/11
waitrewindthat
also known as hobbes.
User Info.
So was In Rainbows...in 2007....

yes, but Radiohead had years to build the hype that was the pay what you want release of In Rainbows. This time last year nobody knew who this guy was or that he even existed.

I see your point, free has been done before successfully but I think it's a crappy analogy. Radiohead was pretty big when they put out In Rainbows...when The Weeknd put out house of balloons nobody really knew what to expect or had a previous release.
09:22 AM on 08/19/11
waitrewindthat
also known as hobbes.
User Info.
The real point here is that after House of Balloons, The Weeknd were unavoidable - everyone knew him. They even talked about him in mags like People and Ent Weekly and shit like that. The hype has been building for almost a year. You also have to take into account their association and endorsement from Drake, who is one of the biggest commercial names in music. All of that coupled with the fact he makes GREAT music, it's kind of a no-brainer that he gets that many dls and exposure. Having said that, my point was really speaking to your comment about the industry itself - - - everyone in the "industry" knows about The Weeknd, trust me. And if they don't, they either a. don't have a pulse or b. should be fired.

That's be like you saying that The Weeknd hasn't had offers from major labels yet because they don't know about him. That's completely ludicrous.

Not trying to attack you here, either. Just commenting.

They have received offers, I know this for a fact. While all you said is good and true, my underlying point remains the same a year ago we had no fucking clue who this guy was...a year before in rainbows was released Radiohead was a pretty common band they had been around for 14 years...and had SIX albums out prior to it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos