AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 26 of 26.
03:42 PM on 08/22/11
chiggles
User Info.
Definitely going to check this out right now.
04:20 PM on 08/22/11
mrotsch
User Info.
The review was good, i'd like to point out that Ben does not do the guitar solo on "race to the bottom though". It was played by the guitar player from their old band Light This City and his name escapes me
04:52 PM on 08/22/11
CBKRP
Registered Member
User Info.
My favorite band right now, Drifter really shows how its done in contrast to the Swellers latest..... it was just too slow for its own good...
07:15 PM on 08/22/11
Bradalee21
Hmm...
User Info.
Pretty surprised by this, generally speaking this Isn't the sort of music I enjoy so I went into the opening track not expecting much, but I'm really loving this album so far. Every second counts and Echo the standout tracks for me going by the first play through.
08:32 PM on 08/22/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Hooks. In my opinion, that's all that's standing between this band and greatness. They have great vocalists, guitarwork that's catchy and technical without being overbearing, solid production, lyrics that are relatable but lacking cheese...Everything that should make a band great, except for hooky choruses. They're catchy, but they don't quite drag you in and hold you there begging for more. If that makes sense.

Exactly how I feel. I find the catchiest part of their songs tend to be the endings, like the last minute of "Drifter" or "Don't Talk With Your Mouth Open." Their choruses are lacking, but this is still a solid record.

I really like this record, too, and I hate to admit I didn't even know the second vocalist was a chick - I thought it was just a dude with a fairly high vocal register. She kind of sounds a bit like Jay from the band Sloan with her delivery at times. Nonetheless, this has received quite a few spins on my player lately. Especially love the title track.

Very surprised to see Sloan mentioned in this thread, haha. I hear it a little now that you mention it, but barely.
09:07 PM on 08/22/11
chiggles
User Info.
My favorite band right now, Drifter really shows how its done in contrast to the Swellers latest..... it was just too slow for its own good...
I love the slower style of The Swellers latest, it felt a lot more mature than their debut, and that says a lot since Ups & Downsizing was a pretty mature album.
05:40 AM on 08/23/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I love the slower style of The Swellers latest, it felt a lot more mature than their debut, and that says a lot since Ups & Downsizing was a pretty mature album.
I loved Ups & Downsizing but I have to agree with the other guy here, the new Swellers record was a little iffy for me. I didn't mind that it was slower....it just seemed the tiniest bit "off" to me.
07:59 AM on 08/23/11
SLoT
Stage three has begun.
User Info.
Glad to see this reviewed. Loving this record.
09:46 AM on 08/23/11
twannabehawk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great record! The guitar work is insane!
04:21 PM on 08/25/11
PlanetDahmz
User Info.
Great record, this is in my top 5 right now for the year. "Unconditional" is a siiick song. Would definitely love to see them tour with AWS.
04:55 AM on 09/21/11
SalKelsoWoah
imnotsalanymore
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I was a little iffy about them at first but then I really got into them
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates