AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Oohlas, The - 05.30.07

Oohlas, The - 05.30.07

Interviewed by
Oohlas, The - 05.30.07Thanks to Ollie and Graham for making this interview happen! You can check out The Oohlas' absolutepunk profile here.

Jamie Pham: What is your name and what do you do in The Oohlas?
Ollie: My name is Olivia stone and I sing and play guitar.

How did the band get together and what does the name mean?
Mark and I met at work. My uncle's girlfriend at the time was producing a show called dinner and a movie. He did post sound on the show. I got hired at this postproduction facility as a sort of assistant to the company. We became friends immediately and writing together immediately. We needed a drummer and mark said his brother played drums. Soon we began switching hard drives full of ideas and realized we liked what each other were doing, and so we were born. The name really means nothing. I've overheard it used as slang for an attractive person.

What it's like being a female in a male dominated industry and what do you recommend to young women who are aspiring musicians?

It just means thereís a bunch of goofball sausages around all the time. I donít care at all and I donít care to focus upon the subject of "domination". Itís just how it is. If you're an aspiring musician and you happen to be a girl, you can do it! Just go for it. Its more fun hanging with the boys anyways. ;)

Did you have any musical training? And were you in any other bands prior to The Oohlas?
Yes, I had lots of musical training. Tons of vocal training and choirs and performances and plays and so on and so forth but no proper band. I was in a church band and we made ska renditions of praise songs. It was my only musical outlet at the time.

How did you guys hook up with Stolen Transmission?
Sarah and I at the time had been posting on message boards together for years. The week Myspace began its bands section we posted our brand new just finished songs, which became a hand made demo we sold on our site and sold out of quickly. Sarah heard them just by clicking around and I believe she fell in love or something. She was in discussions of starting a label with her friend rob. A little over a year later we were their first signing to stolen transmission.

How did you guys get the opening spot for the Cute Is What We Aim For Myspace secret show and how did it go?

I donít know. Booking agents usually do that sort of work Ė sometimes these things just happen. It was a great show! Our best at chain reaction yet.

What was the best show that you guys have played?
Golly, when you tour, its such a blur. Because you play so many good shows, and often they get better and better, you know? I think for memorable shows id say playing in fort Collins, Colorado. We played very well and people kept laughing at my shit jokes. When people laugh at my shitty jokes, the world is at peace with me.

Any tour plans in the future?
Of course, silly! Just not this very second, but as soon as we know, you will. :)

What is the song TV dinner about?
Itís very literal. Itís about sitting on the couch with someone you are in love with but doesnít love you back.

Are you guys working on new material?
Yes we are! Expect it next year in the summer, if all goes as planned....

What do you see the Oohlas doing five years from now?
Recording 60 records, having 15 children, buying 70 homes, eating the worlds biggest piece of sushi

Have you ever thought of making a book of all the cool pictures you guys have taken on the road?
Thank you for thinking they are cool! I really would like to have that opportunity one day. I used to want to put out a book of just peoples shoes i've taken photos of. I have hundreds. But faces are more interesting, I know. Perhaps that could be a section. :) I should wait until I have a LOT more photographs though. You can never have enough...

What is your natural hair color?
Its dark brown, with gray highlights. Iíve been going gray since about sixteen.

What do you think of Myspace? Can we exist in the world without it?
Myspace is fun. Yes, we can live without it. We did only 3 years ago, remember that? But life at work at school for many people would be boring, huh?

Do you want more cowbell or should it be retired?
I ALWAYS WANT MORE COWBELL. IVE GOT A FEVER.

Can argyle still hold a place in fashion?
Of course! I have about 15 pairs of argyle socks...

What WAS Willis talking about?
Stop littering

Thanks for answering these questions for me!

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
11:33 AM on 05/31/07
Ultragrrrl
User Info.
olivia stone = genius
12:44 PM on 05/31/07
romantic rights
User Info.
The oohlas are a great band.
12:47 PM on 05/31/07
No IThinkNot
User Info.
The Oohlas are a little guilty pleasure of mine.

Argyle is terrible. It should be eradicated from the Earth.
01:32 PM on 05/31/07
sapphire bullet
bakes amazing cupcakes
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
They are so wonderful and seem (well, Olivia at any rate) to be very nice to talk to!
I can't wait for their new stuff
01:36 PM on 05/31/07
crit
@CRlTTER
User Info.
olivia stone = genius
yes. also:

sarah = genius

02:33 PM on 05/31/07
axl rose
User Info.
Ha, this is funny. I miss Ollie. She used to do the website for my shitty pop punk band back in the day! When she told me she was moving to LA to be in a band I thought she was crazy. Good for her!!!
03:17 PM on 05/31/07
Ultragrrrl
User Info.
i went to tenafly high school... but it's possible i went to your school because i definitely said something like that before!
03:22 PM on 05/31/07
jenijennjen
User Info.
I dont know about the Oohlas...I like them but not really. I saw them open for Lola Ray (I think that was the show) at Chain Reaction and they were just ehh. I think it was the sound though you couldnt hear her sing for 90% of their set.
03:43 PM on 05/31/07
Jamie Pham
@jamiepham
User Info.
I dont know about the Oohlas...I like them but not really. I saw them open for Lola Ray (I think that was the show) at Chain Reaction and they were just ehh. I think it was the sound though you couldnt hear her sing for 90% of their set.

Yeah the sound at Chain is not that good unless you have an experienced sound guy/girl.
03:40 PM on 06/02/07
matilda lavende
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Ha, this is funny. I miss Ollie. She used to do the website for my shitty pop punk band back in the day! When she told me she was moving to LA to be in a band I thought she was crazy. Good for her!!!

david? its ollie. i love you!
11:35 PM on 06/08/07
oohlas fan
User Info.
yess! 2 of my questions were answerd

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT