AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 38 posts
09:33 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
Odds that 99% of the comments will be about the score? Instead of the really well written review for the damn right fantastic album.

The score means very little compared to what the album itself is ... it's a masterpiece, and I think it just may be Mr. Fallon's "opus." At least so far. Great review TommyBoy.
10:38 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
Well when you see The Cab getting a score of 95 don't be shocked when people start questioning your scoring system. That being said, this is a great review and Brian Fallon is a great artist so hopefully this is more than deserved.

Edit. I'm fully aware the reviews were by different authors. And I don't mean to go off topic, excited to hear this record.
Why would I be shocked of people questing the "scoring system" -- I'm aware it's virtually the only thing people read. I'm questioning the sanity of people that do only that, and try and cross compare reviewers.
10:40 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
Why don't you guys just ditch the whole score thing anyways? Maybe make it a simple 1 - 5 star rating system.

Looking forward to this album...
I want to get rid of them altogether. I'm being fought on that one.
10:45 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
I can name like 20 albums from my lifetime I'd give 10s to. Some people have more lax scoring mechanisms in their heads than others.

ohhhnozzz....
10:50 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
Never told Thomas how much he can love it. Where did I do that again? I'm glad he loves it. I specifically said he should "shout it from the rooftops." Direct quote.

Also, after the 4 seconds it took you to rush to his rescue, I put in an edit praising the quality of the writing, which is something I know he's worked really hard on. Constructive!

My contention is that it's silly to start throwing around hyperbole for an album that hasn't been out that long. Saying that he's "the future of rock and roll", saying that he's on a par with what Springsteen did in the 70's. Maybe when it shakes out, that'll be true. Who knows? But it's certainly way too early to say that about any album. We haven't even finished 2011 yet. Let alone had time to establish the kind of historical context Thomas is throwing around.
Does that make Landau's claim less valid because he didn't wait 20 years to see how it all shook out? They're predictions, statements in the now -- not retrospective epitaphs. That's the point of saying them in the now. If you wait until after it happened, you're just summing up a career. I think it's important for music writers to take a stand, passionate ones, and go out on limbs like this. I encourage it. I was called out of my mind when I said Deja Entendu would change the music scene; it's one of the few predictions I've gotten right over the years. But I'm still glad I said it.
10:51 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
I could probably name 10. maybe.
Britney Spears - Baby, One More Time ???
10:53 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
that's cool. You probably would have been that guy in the 70s too saying the same stuff about Springsteen haha
In the 70's it would have been fiercely written letters to the editor. Oh internet, how you have changed everything.
10:55 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
I could probably name 10. maybe.
Hhaha, I could name 40.

Actually, I don't even care. I like an album, I like some albums more than others, I'm not in the "let's rank every single album I own" stage. That's sort of all that matters to me.
10:57 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
I mean, be bold. It's admirable, I guess. But you're going to be wrong more often than you're right. Very few albums reach that kind of legacy.
If an album moves you enough to write it - and you believe it - that says something in its own right. In the scene these days -- not much "sticks" with the wide audience anyway. It's more about niches. And cult classics, if you will.
10:58 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
I remember the shit you got for your Say Anything Is A Real Boy review.
Vindicated mother fuckas!

Hahah.

Brand New, Fall Out Boy, Yellowcard, MCR, Thrice, Say Anything, The Gaslight Anthem.

Called it!
10:58 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
same, the only definite 10's in my lifetime are White Pony, Kid A, Full Collapse, Vheissu, and of course the new Bon Iver album.
No Dirty Work?
11:02 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
I mean, be bold. It's admirable, I guess. But you're going to be wrong more often than you're right. Very few albums reach that kind of legacy.
And true that you'll be wrong a lot ... but how boring are the vanilla reviews that are 4 lines in places like Alt. Press. That kind of writing bores me. It has no voice. You don't feel that the writer felt something during the process. I like the reviews that get my blood moving. That remind me what it's like to listen to something that's changed someone's life. Those are the reviews that, to me, are worth reading. If I'm reading 5 sentences summing up an album, I might as well just stream the first song myself. I'll get more out of it.
11:03 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
Can we please put a moratorium on the Bruce Springsteen comparisons. It's getting very tiresome, and its lazy journalism.
I compare this post to Devils and Dust; it's cause I'm lazy!
11:04 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
For the record, with how carefully you choose (or chose) albums to review, if any of the ones you reviewed are now looked upon as classics, there was probably something bold in that review that you can call vindication.
I only review the bees-knees.
11:04 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
it'd be a 10 if we were using a /100 scale haha
What'd it get those points for? Spelling the name right on the album cover?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos