Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 7 posts.
10:14 AM on 08/24/11
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
Perfect comparison to Nebraska. Also felt a little Please Come Home. One of my top albums for sure. Beautiful album...fantastic review.

10:47 AM on 08/24/11
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
I'm interested to hear this album. I really like The Gaslight Anthem. One of my more anticipated of this year. Cool review.

On a side-note I don't comment here too much anymore...only when I feel like I really have something to say. I have to say this I can't believe the site's staff and CEO say don't pay attention to the score read the well written review. He posted a giant red 10/10 under his well written review. He put the score in two places he must have wanted me to see it. So why aren't people allowed to complain about it.

(In my opinion only) I highly doubt this album is a 10. I haven't heard it but I can almost guarantee for me it won't be a ten. In truth it would probably be hard pressed to find many that when it's all said and done would say it is perfect. That's just the truth in your lifetime new release wise there won't be more than a few truly great 10's. This site needs more of the staff to write write opposing view points for mega-anticipated albums (IMO only).

But that being said if he thinks it's a 10 I'm fine with it in general. I just don't understand why people are chastised about complaining about a score system that was placed all over the place on the actual review. If you want people to take the reviews serious you can't put some of the 80-90's constantly handed out right next to this album and say they are a mere couple of points away from its greatness. Then tell people don't worry about the score. Go to wikipedia the score's are listed all over the place. The score as a whole is important to the review. It is in a way the graduation of the review, the finale, the end cap. Your college diploma is a piece of paper that represents a body of work (but it should mean a lot to you as a student). Just like the score you give something should mean something to you (as a writer).
11:05 AM on 08/24/11
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
Does that make Landau's claim less valid because he didn't wait 20 years to see how it all shook out? They're predictions, statements in the now -- not retrospective epitaphs. That's the point of saying them in the now. If you wait until after it happened, you're just summing up a career. I think it's important for music writers to take a stand, passionate ones, and go out on limbs like this. I encourage it. I was called out of my mind when I said Deja Entendu would change the music scene; it's one of the few predictions I've gotten right over the years. But I'm still glad I said it.
Post of the year
11:24 AM on 08/24/11
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
01:00 PM on 08/24/11
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
The new Thrice album will be my 99% this year, I imagine, but I will definitely give this a thorough listen. Especially after hearing it has a Please Come Home vibe.
01:30 PM on 08/24/11
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
I feel as though these things can not be predicted. I was anticipating this record, but I was not expecting it to be nearly this good.
Oops, didn't word that well at all. What I meant to say was that I'm highly anticipating both records, but I imagine I will like the Thrice album more. Of course, I'm going to let the music do the talking :)
04:28 PM on 08/26/11
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
I can't wait until the "to score or not to score" argument is over. Do it up, Mr. Tate. End this nonsense. Scores are stupid.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests