AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 15 posts
11:27 AM on 08/24/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
I can't say until I hear it, but it's hard to imagine any album good enough to justify how overblown this review is. But hey, if you're excited about it, yell that shit from the rooftops.

Edit: Should have noted that as far as quality of writing, it's your best review yet. I just balk at the hyperbole and raving fanboyism is all.
11:33 AM on 08/24/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
maybe it's just hard for you to imagine. review isn't overblown at all.

11:42 AM on 08/24/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
Who are you to tell Thomas or anyone else how much they can love an album, especially when you haven't even heard it? this is such a shitty attitude to have. You come into this review thread and offer nothing constructive to it.
Never told Thomas how much he can love it. Where did I do that again? I'm glad he loves it. I specifically said he should "shout it from the rooftops." Direct quote.

Also, after the 4 seconds it took you to rush to his rescue, I put in an edit praising the quality of the writing, which is something I know he's worked really hard on. Constructive!

My contention is that it's silly to start throwing around hyperbole for an album that hasn't been out that long. Saying that he's "the future of rock and roll", saying that he's on a par with what Springsteen did in the 70's. Maybe when it shakes out, that'll be true. Who knows? But it's certainly way too early to say that about any album. We haven't even finished 2011 yet. Let alone had time to establish the kind of historical context Thomas is throwing around.
11:49 AM on 08/24/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
I believe I address the hyperbole criticism in one of the first paragraphs. If you don't want to read my more personal opinions, stick to the middle of the review, the bulk of it where I talk about the songs on the album. Skip the intro and conclusion. Easy enough.
Wait so your assessment of the actual songs isn't a personal opinion? Everything in the review is fair game for evaluation.
11:52 AM on 08/24/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
that's cool. You probably would have been that guy in the 70s too saying the same stuff about Springsteen haha
Yeah, I would have. If you're going to imply, directly or indirectly, that something is going to be joining the greatest of all time, it'd be useful to to see if it's still your favorite even a year from now. You can praise a record, even hyperbolically praise a record, without pulling out sweeping generalizations about it's place in history.
11:54 AM on 08/24/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
Does that make Landau's claim less valid because he didn't wait 20 years to see how it all shook out? They're predictions, statements in the now -- not retrospective epitaphs. That's the point of saying them in the now. If you wait until after it happened, you're just summing up a career. I think it's important for music writers to take a stand, passionate ones, and go out on limbs like this. I encourage it. I was called out of my mind when I said Deja Entendu would change the music scene; it's one of the few predictions I've gotten right over the years. But I'm still glad I said it.
I mean, be bold. It's admirable, I guess. But you're going to be wrong more often than you're right. Very few albums reach that kind of legacy.
11:55 AM on 08/24/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
In the 70's it would have been fiercely written letters to the editor. Oh internet, how you have changed everything.
And they'd be written in my aggressive handwriting. How the hell did you imply anything without emoticons, past?
12:01 PM on 08/24/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
If an album moves you enough to write it - and you believe it - that says something in its own right. In the scene these days -- not much "sticks" with the wide audience anyway. It's more about niches. And cult classics, if you will.
I think you're exactly right about the "cult classics" thing. I guess that's why the grandiose parts of the review seem out of place. Gaslight are doing really well for themselves, but in the grand scheme of things, Brian Fallon is not a known quantity (outside of ap, where Cody Payne is a celebrity...shit gets distorted). I don't know if anyone has the clout to be the future of anything anymore, let alone Fallon.
12:05 PM on 08/24/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
So okay, send me a PM in 10 years and we'll discuss this record. If I'm right, that's pretty awesome. If I'm wrong, well I probably will be wrong about lots of things. Last year I never said anything in a review like I did in this one.

I appreciate Jason's post because I feel the same way. Rather than a cut and paste review of another record I loved, I wrote what I really thought about this one...and if I make one prediction like that every 150 reviews, I think I'll be okay with how they shake out.

Actually worth noting that this is the second record this year that I have said something bold about - but I have full faith in both Elsie and Suburbia. They will be 1-2 atop my list, and although it's only August, I've heard most of my anticipated releases up through early October.
I never disagreed with that. I said, verbatim "shout it from the rooftops" and praised the writing style. But you can heap tons of superlative praise just by talking about the record, how excellent it is outside of "history". To try and prematurely shove it into a place in history is a shortcut to conveying what you think about the record.

Also, honest question: do you think having proclaimed your AotY is a self-fulfilling prophecy? Because you know this is it, you're not going to think another record tops it, even if you otherwise might?
12:08 PM on 08/24/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
And true that you'll be wrong a lot ... but how boring are the vanilla reviews that are 4 lines in places like Alt. Press. That kind of writing bores me. It has no voice. You don't feel that the writer felt something during the process. I like the reviews that get my blood moving. That remind me what it's like to listen to something that's changed someone's life. Those are the reviews that, to me, are worth reading. If I'm reading 5 sentences summing up an album, I might as well just stream the first song myself. I'll get more out of it.

I'll concede that. I'd rather read this review than the pathetic paragraphs Rolling Stone has been pumping out 10 times out of 10. That doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. I've gotten into quite a few debates with people here (one or two regarding your Vheissu review, actually) saying I'd rather hear about a record from it's biggest fan than a detached observer, but that doesn't mean said biggest fan couldn't improve the discourse.
12:09 PM on 08/24/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
Brian Fallon's crossing over pretty well ... definitely more so than Cody Payne. He's got some pull.

I wasn't trying to equate the two. Just to say that "fame" on ap is a bit distorted because it's a small, specialized community.
12:10 PM on 08/24/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
No, because in 2010 I called Titus Andronicus my album of the year for like 9 months and it ended up third when I made the list.

Good to know. That wasn't a dig, just honest curiosity.
12:11 PM on 08/24/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
I agree with a lot of this. To me a 10 can't be a 10 unless you truly love the record. You don't love a girl on the first date it takes time. I always keep my albums at 8 or 9 if I really like them when they come out and then if I still love the album after 5-7 years then I can safely say it is a ten. However, Thomas is only 20 so the way he looks at music and the way I look at it are probably a lot different (not saying my views are better. Just saying I've changed a lot opinion wise since I was 20).
I don't have a problem with the score. I think every year has a 10 or two in it. That's fine. In fact, any assessment of the record's merits itself are fine, no matter how hyperbolic. It's just when you throw around sweeping statements about context that it seems like a shortcut.
12:17 PM on 08/24/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
On vinyl?

In a perfect vacuum, I'd want three reviews:

1) The biggest fanboy ever review. This sucker is going to be detailed, and if I'm a fan, I'll probably be in line with it. Plus, I like reading stuff like that (it's why I subscribe to certain tech writers).

2) Someone that was a music fan, but not a fan of the band - just giving the more objective side of things.

3) An old fan that doesn't like the album, for whatever reason. To get the otherside of fanboyism.

And then I'd want 3 year retrospectives on all three.

But, you're never going to get all three. And hell, if I had all three I wouldn't probably read them anyway. So, if I am going to read a review ... I'd take the first one too. I'd rather read something super detailed from someone that gets the band on the same level as I do.
Sweet Jesus, that'd be a lot to read. And considering most people get bored by the end of a facebook status...
12:35 PM on 08/24/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
Hahah. So true.

I read reviews of albums I like -- usually to share thoughts with other like-minded fans, and talk about the tunes. I'll read some reviews that trash albums I love just to get another perspective ... but I do that far less.
I wish I did read more reviews. The enlightenment or different approach you can get from a good one is awesome. I just don't really have any critics whose opinions I trust/value enough to read their work regularly, though admittedly I haven't been looking too actively.

Also your "hive mind" comment is pretty scarily accurate. Every time someone pretends that quality is objective (i.e. the kinds of things tastemakers like p4k, stereogum, formerly Rolling Stone, whoever deem as superior qualities in music are a universal truth) I die a little inside. The only reason Bon Iver is definitively "better" than ELO or something is because said tastemakers all happen to agree on that at this particular moment in history. So many people seem to be unable to understand that.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos