Username
Password

Album Review - Page 10
Displaying posts 135 - 150 of 315.
11:35 AM on 08/24/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
Hahah. So true.

I read reviews of albums I like -- usually to share thoughts with other like-minded fans, and talk about the tunes. I'll read some reviews that trash albums I love just to get another perspective ... but I do that far less.
I wish I did read more reviews. The enlightenment or different approach you can get from a good one is awesome. I just don't really have any critics whose opinions I trust/value enough to read their work regularly, though admittedly I haven't been looking too actively.

Also your "hive mind" comment is pretty scarily accurate. Every time someone pretends that quality is objective (i.e. the kinds of things tastemakers like p4k, stereogum, formerly Rolling Stone, whoever deem as superior qualities in music are a universal truth) I die a little inside. The only reason Bon Iver is definitively "better" than ELO or something is because said tastemakers all happen to agree on that at this particular moment in history. So many people seem to be unable to understand that.
11:39 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
Also, this. Although this is still my favorite review on this site. Haha.
Hey, that review made me want to go listen to that album again. Awful punctuation aside.

Heh.
11:42 AM on 08/24/11
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
Think what you want ... I don't know a single reviewer that's not liked an album, yet took the time to write a glowing review simply because they are "friends" with the band. There's way too much going on in the day to waste your time faking passion.

My point exactly. I've said it before...I'm not a "reviewer." I can't whip something up like what I wrote (speaking length wise) in the span of a few hours. And I'm not going to spend weeks on it (which was how long it really took) if I didn't 100% feel that way.

I'll never understand people calling reviews "fanboy" reviews. There was absolutely nothing in that Cab review that showed that I was some gushing fanboy/BFFs with the band. It's only a fanboy review to people who don't like the score or the music.
11:48 AM on 08/24/11
snu
I like to watch the NBA
User Info.
I like that "my" (what a weird term of possession) reviewers are passionate about music. Do I like everything we talk about on the website? No. Do I like everything released every year? No. Do I like that people are discussing music THEY love? Absolutely.

I like that there's a community for people to talk about what they want to talk about. I like that someone is passionate enough about a band, or album, to take their time to express their love for that music with others. I was writing gushing reviews for MxPx and Slick Shoes at the age Joe is now ... and I still love those bands dearly, and wanted to tell the world about them. I'm more disappointed that there are people that want to silence those voices for whatever reason. That they want to tell people no, to make others feel small because they've decided to stand up and give an opinion on a topic. To rise above the 140 characters of drabble and say "I love this, and this is why." That's what upsets me more than anything, the idea that others want to stifle a passion in someone else simply because they have either not found it in themselves, or simply because it happens to lay in a different place.

Think what you want ... I don't know a single reviewer that's not liked an album, yet took the time to write a glowing review simply because they are "friends" with the band. There's way too much going on in the day to waste your time faking passion.

Thanks for responding. Fair enough as well. I don't want to snuff anyone's passion out either. I know the people on the site aren't paid and want to talk about what they love. I have my opinions...but that's all they are. It's unfair for me to tell people what to love.

If I offended anyone I apologize and to the reviewer iif The Cab is your 95 then you can have it. It isn't mine but I guess to each his own. I know I love albums other people hate and would feel offended if some username told me not to like them haha. I guess sometimes it's hard to disconnect the some of the site's parts. That a review isn't Absolutepunk's review because that's not a person simply an outlet and that every single review is written by a person.

Good honest response from you. Thanks.
12:01 PM on 08/24/11
roche
You think a pirate lives in there?
User Info.
Review convinced me to check this out.
12:07 PM on 08/24/11
_veges_
User Info.
Well this should help your fantasy band.
12:17 PM on 08/24/11
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Gah I'm so excited!

Brian Fallon is the man. I love him
12:19 PM on 08/24/11
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
Odds that 99% of the comments will be about the score? Instead of the really well written review for the damn right fantastic album.

The score means very little compared to what the album itself is ... it's a masterpiece, and I think it just may be Mr. Fallon's "opus." At least so far. Great review TommyBoy.

I always liked your scoring system better than any others. its a shame that there's such negativity attached to it now. oh well.
12:25 PM on 08/24/11
ibelieveinjake
i have a headache
User Info.
I think the fact that this makes me excited not only for THIS record, but for everything Fallon does after, proves that it's a well-written review. Nice stuff, Nassiff.
get up kidd
I refuse to sink
User Info.
Perfect comparison to Nebraska. Also felt a little Please Come Home. One of my top albums for sure. Beautiful album...fantastic review.
Please come home.. As in the Dustin solo cd?

If thats the case, I will be picking this up for sure
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I agree with a lot of this. To me a 10 can't be a 10 unless you truly love the record. You don't love a girl on the first date it takes time. I always keep my albums at 8 or 9 if I really like them when they come out and then if I still love the album after 5-7 years then I can safely say it is a ten. However, Thomas is only 20 so the way he looks at music and the way I look at it are probably a lot different (not saying my views are better. Just saying I've changed a lot opinion wise since I was 20).
I've listened to this record for more than a month, almost every day for more than a month. It's not like I'm still in the honeymoon phase or anything. You can't expect to listen to a record for longer than that amount of time before you review it. And if I have to wait 5-7 years to give something a 10 then we might as well make an 8 the maximum score.
I always thought that we'd get a Jesse Lacey solo album ... and that a lot of things said in this review, would be said about him.
I can't see him ever doing that, and if he did a side project....eh, I just don't know. Jesse Lacey polarizes people like no one else.
Do you like your reviewers to give bands like The Cab a 95% on the website you started? I mean I get the reviewer writes what they want, but geez some of the scores are just too much. There's a difference in writing a review because you love the album and on the flipside writing a review because you like the guys in the band and have somewhat of a friend/fanboyish relationship with them. I just have to believe some of these reviews are fanboy/friend type reviews and not honest critics of the music. Again maybe not this album.
SIGH.
12:35 PM on 08/24/11
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
So my question is, will Ian Perkins still be the guitar tech for Gaslight after this album is released?
12:37 PM on 08/24/11
Corey Hoffy
I refuse to spend life on my knees
User Info.
I like that "my" (what a weird term of possession) reviewers are passionate about music. Do I like everything we talk about on the website? No. Do I like everything released every year? No. Do I like that people are discussing music THEY love? Absolutely.

I like that there's a community for people to talk about what they want to talk about. I like that someone is passionate enough about a band, or album, to take their time to express their love for that music with others. I was writing gushing reviews for MxPx and Slick Shoes at the age Joe is now ... and I still love those bands dearly, and wanted to tell the world about them. I'm more disappointed that there are people that want to silence those voices for whatever reason. That they want to tell people no, to make others feel small because they've decided to stand up and give an opinion on a topic. To rise above the 140 characters of drabble and say "I love this, and this is why." That's what upsets me more than anything, the idea that others want to stifle a passion in someone else simply because they have either not found it in themselves, or simply because it happens to lay in a different place.

Officially the best and most honest post I've ever read on this website, possibly anywhere when it comes to music. I am in complete awe of it.

For instance, I don't agree with a lot of Joe's reviews, but the passion behind them is simply staggering. You can really tell that he loves the albums that he loves. There's nothing fake about it. Anyways, great post, and great review, Thomas. Definitely your best one yet.
12:40 PM on 08/24/11
trolland10
Listen to Limbeck
User Info.
yes! cannot wait
12:43 PM on 08/24/11
Nick Le
Yeezy taught me.
User Info.
Really well written review, Thomas. One of your best. I haven't listened to anything from this yet, so I'm excited to give it a spin once it's released! Especially because of this review.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests