Username
Password

Album Review - Page 4
Displaying posts 45 - 60 of 315.
10:29 AM on 08/24/11
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I can't say until I hear it, but it's hard to imagine any album good enough to justify how overblown this review is. But hey, if you're excited about it, yell that shit from the rooftops.
maybe it's just hard for you to imagine. review isn't overblown at all.
10:33 AM on 08/24/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
maybe it's just hard for you to imagine. review isn't overblown at all.

10:34 AM on 08/24/11
snu
I like to watch the NBA
User Info.
I'm interested to hear this album. I really like The Gaslight Anthem. One of my more anticipated of this year. Cool review.

On a side-note I don't comment here too much anymore...only when I feel like I really have something to say. I have to say this I can't believe the site's staff and CEO say don't pay attention to the score read the well written review. He posted a giant red 10/10 under his well written review. He put the score in two places he must have wanted me to see it. So why aren't people allowed to complain about it.

(In my opinion only) I highly doubt this album is a 10. I haven't heard it but I can almost guarantee for me it won't be a ten. In truth it would probably be hard pressed to find many that when it's all said and done would say it is perfect. That's just the truth in your lifetime new release wise there won't be more than a few truly great 10's. This site needs more of the staff to write write opposing view points for mega-anticipated albums (IMO only).

But that being said if he thinks it's a 10 I'm fine with it in general. I just don't understand why people are chastised about complaining about a score system that was placed all over the place on the actual review. If you want people to take the reviews serious you can't put some of the 80-90's constantly handed out right next to this album and say they are a mere couple of points away from its greatness. Then tell people don't worry about the score. Go to wikipedia the score's are listed all over the place. The score as a whole is important to the review. It is in a way the graduation of the review, the finale, the end cap. Your college diploma is a piece of paper that represents a body of work (but it should mean a lot to you as a student). Just like the score you give something should mean something to you (as a writer).
10:36 AM on 08/24/11
Drew Beringer
User Info.
Who are you to tell Thomas or anyone else how much they can love an album, especially when you haven't even heard it? this is such a shitty attitude to have. You come into this review thread and offer nothing constructive to it.
10:38 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
Well when you see The Cab getting a score of 95 don't be shocked when people start questioning your scoring system. That being said, this is a great review and Brian Fallon is a great artist so hopefully this is more than deserved.

Edit. I'm fully aware the reviews were by different authors. And I don't mean to go off topic, excited to hear this record.
Why would I be shocked of people questing the "scoring system" -- I'm aware it's virtually the only thing people read. I'm questioning the sanity of people that do only that, and try and cross compare reviewers.
10:38 AM on 08/24/11
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
The one way I'd love to hear Fallon improve is to write more complex songs. I don't mean in terms of instruments, but in terms of song structure. He's nailed the four chord structure a la "Behold the Hurricane" down really well, but I'm willing to bet a songwriter as talented as he is can evolve well beyond that.

That said, haven't heard this album yet, so maybe there will be some surprises here. I highly doubt it'll be a 10 for me, but it'll probably have no trouble hitting the 8.5 to 9 range.
10:40 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
Why don't you guys just ditch the whole score thing anyways? Maybe make it a simple 1 - 5 star rating system.

Looking forward to this album...
I want to get rid of them altogether. I'm being fought on that one.
10:42 AM on 08/24/11
HometownHero
User Info.
Who are you to tell Thomas or anyone else how much they can love an album, especially when you haven't even heard it? this is such a shitty attitude to have. You come into this review thread and offer nothing constructive to it.
In the review itself Thomas admits to having the right to be hyperbolic in a review every once and awhile. Nowhere did I see Chris say anything suggesting that Thomas can't love this album as much as he wants to. He just said the review is overblown. I agree. I also probably won't even listen to this because I don't like Gaslight so I don't even know why I ventured in here.
10:42 AM on 08/24/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
Never told Thomas how much he can love it. Where did I do that again? I'm glad he loves it. I specifically said he should "shout it from the rooftops." Direct quote.

Also, after the 4 seconds it took you to rush to his rescue, I put in an edit praising the quality of the writing, which is something I know he's worked really hard on. Constructive!

My contention is that it's silly to start throwing around hyperbole for an album that hasn't been out that long. Saying that he's "the future of rock and roll", saying that he's on a par with what Springsteen did in the 70's. Maybe when it shakes out, that'll be true. Who knows? But it's certainly way too early to say that about any album. We haven't even finished 2011 yet. Let alone had time to establish the kind of historical context Thomas is throwing around.
10:44 AM on 08/24/11
YoTengoRabbi
Black Metal Jesus
User Info.
Have my vinyl pre-order in, and my tickets for the LA show on my desk... now I just need this to leak already so I can stop kicking my own face in anxious anticipation.

Review of this caliber isn't helping my insane excitement.
10:44 AM on 08/24/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
First of all, Thomas, this is the best review I've ver read. Not just for an album, but for anything. I almost feel as if I've just listened to it myself. I didn't think I could be more excited for this but now I am.

Seeing the comparison to Nebraska just made my day. I was wondering if this would be comparable to that album. Also, the comparison to We Did It When We Were Young really gave me an understanding of how the album ends.

Great review, I usually don't read your reviews because I don't really like the bands you review but I may read them just for the sake of good writing.
Thank you sir!
10:45 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
I can name like 20 albums from my lifetime I'd give 10s to. Some people have more lax scoring mechanisms in their heads than others.

ohhhnozzz....
10:45 AM on 08/24/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Never told Thomas how much he can love it. Where did I do that again? I'm glad he loves it. I specifically said he should "shout it from the rooftops." Direct quote.

Also, after the 4 seconds it took you to rush to his rescue, I put in an edit praising the quality of the writing, which is something I know he's worked really hard on. Constructive!

My contention is that it's silly to start throwing around hyperbole for an album that hasn't been out that long. Saying that he's "the future of rock and roll", saying that he's on a par with what Springsteen did in the 70's. Maybe when it shakes out, that'll be true. Who knows? But it's certainly way too early to say that about any album. We haven't even finished 2011 yet. Let alone had time to establish the kind of historical context Thomas is throwing around.
I believe I address the hyperbole criticism in one of the first paragraphs. If you don't want to read my more personal opinions, stick to the middle of the review, the bulk of it where I talk about the songs on the album. Skip the intro and conclusion. Easy enough.
10:46 AM on 08/24/11
Drew Beringer
User Info.

that's cool. You probably would have been that guy in the 70s too saying the same stuff about Springsteen haha
10:46 AM on 08/24/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I can name like 20 albums from my lifetime I'd give 10s to. Some people have more lax scoring mechanisms in their heads than others.

ohhhnozzz....
The thing is I'm the same - there isn't any other album this year I would have given a 10. TWY would have been 9 or 9.5 and that's the only record I would have considered it with. On the new site I'm going to treat a "10" like it's the holy grail or something.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests