AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 9
Displaying posts 120 - 135 of 315
11:16 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
I always thought that we'd get a Jesse Lacey solo album ... and that a lot of things said in this review, would be said about him.
11:17 AM on 08/24/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
On vinyl?

In a perfect vacuum, I'd want three reviews:

1) The biggest fanboy ever review. This sucker is going to be detailed, and if I'm a fan, I'll probably be in line with it. Plus, I like reading stuff like that (it's why I subscribe to certain tech writers).

2) Someone that was a music fan, but not a fan of the band - just giving the more objective side of things.

3) An old fan that doesn't like the album, for whatever reason. To get the otherside of fanboyism.

And then I'd want 3 year retrospectives on all three.

But, you're never going to get all three. And hell, if I had all three I wouldn't probably read them anyway. So, if I am going to read a review ... I'd take the first one too. I'd rather read something super detailed from someone that gets the band on the same level as I do.
Sweet Jesus, that'd be a lot to read. And considering most people get bored by the end of a facebook status...
11:17 AM on 08/24/11
fifpb99
User Info.
I only review the bees-knees.
i used to love your reviews... you gonna get back to it after 2.0 drops?
11:20 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
I don't get this hive mentality. That 'any sound reviewer' would give it ... blah blah blah ... why should someone score an album based on what the masses think or are going to think? Might as well just pull the number from metacritic at that point. The score is that reviewer's assessment. It starts and stops there. It's also why there are two scores on every review: one being the "general population's view" ...
11:22 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
i used to love your reviews... you gonna get back to it after 2.0 drops?
Maaaaaaaybe. Would rather post my hperbolic fanboyish rants in news articles. I'll be writing a LOT more ... mostly news stories, about bands, about albums ... moreso than "official reviews."

I got reallllllly tired of this sort of stuff after I'd slaved over a review. I can avoid most of the arguments that take place in these threads by just not calling it a review. If I post it as a news article about a band or album ... or a blog post "impressions" -- then I avoid 1/2 the complaints in the first place.

/Speaking of -- I gotta get back to work on that.
11:24 AM on 08/24/11
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
11:24 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
Sweet Jesus, that'd be a lot to read. And considering most people get bored by the end of a facebook status...
Hahah. So true.

I read reviews of albums I like -- usually to share thoughts with other like-minded fans, and talk about the tunes. I'll read some reviews that trash albums I love just to get another perspective ... but I do that far less.
11:27 AM on 08/24/11
fifpb99
User Info.
Maaaaaaaybe. Would rather post my hperbolic fanboyish rants in news articles. I'll be writing a LOT more ... mostly news stories, about bands, about albums ... moreso than "official reviews."

I got reallllllly tired of this sort of stuff after I'd slaved over a review. I can avoid most of the arguments that take place in these threads by just not calling it a review. If I post it as a news article about a band or album ... or a blog post "impressions" -- then I avoid 1/2 the complaints in the first place.

/Speaking of -- I gotta get back to work on that.
your blog has been a good place for those rants haha, specifically with the 'first impressions' posts.
11:27 AM on 08/24/11
fanberlinboy
Having trouble inside my skin...
User Info.
Didn't realize this was coming out so soon. I'll definitely be picking it up on Tuesday.

Edit: Oh, next Tuesday.
11:28 AM on 08/24/11
tell that mick
@mickrouse
User Info.
At the end of it all, it's just a review. If you like the album as much as Thomas, great. If you like it even as half as much as Thomas, that's great, too. What a reviewer says about an album shouldn't have a direct effect on your affinity for any said album. At the end of the day, I'd rather be listening to an album I loved, even if it isn't the greatest piece of music ever, rather than pretend to like something more than I actually do because the way the masses praise it.
11:29 AM on 08/24/11
Jairbear
User Info.
My most anticipated album since American Slang
2LW
I'm starting to decompose
User Info.
First of all, Thomas, this is the best review I've ver read. Not just for an album, but for anything. I almost feel as if I've just listened to it myself. I didn't think I could be more excited for this but now I am.

Seeing the comparison to Nebraska just made my day. I was wondering if this would be comparable to that album. Also, the comparison to We Did It When We Were Young really gave me an understanding of how the album ends.

Great review, I usually don't read your reviews because I don't really like the bands you review but I may read them just for the sake of good writing.
Also, this. Although this is still my favorite review on this site. Haha.
snu
I like to watch the NBA
User Info.
I don't get this hive mentality. That 'any sound reviewer' would give it ... blah blah blah ... why should someone score an album based on what the masses think or are going to think? Might as well just pull the number from metacritic at that point. The score is that reviewer's assessment. It starts and stops there. It's also why there are two scores on every review: one being the "general population's view" ...

Do you like your reviewers to give bands like The Cab a 95% on the website you started? I mean I get the reviewer writes what they want, but geez some of the scores are just too much. There's a difference in writing a review because you love the album and on the flipside writing a review because you like the guys in the band and have somewhat of a friend/fanboyish relationship with them. I just have to believe some of these reviews are fanboy/friend type reviews and not honest critics of the music. Again maybe not this album.
HometownHero
User Info.
11:35 AM on 08/24/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
Do you like your reviewers to give bands like The Cab a 95% on the website you started? I mean I get the reviewer writes what they want, but geez some of the scores are just too much. There's a difference in writing a review because you love the album and on the flipside writing a review because you like the guys in the band and have somewhat of a friend/fanboyish relationship with them. I just have to believe some of these reviews are fanboy/friend type reviews and not honest critics of the music. Again maybe not this album.
I like that "my" (what a weird term of possession) reviewers are passionate about music. Do I like everything we talk about on the website? No. Do I like everything released every year? No. Do I like that people are discussing music THEY love? Absolutely.

I like that there's a community for people to talk about what they want to talk about. I like that someone is passionate enough about a band, or album, to take their time to express their love for that music with others. I was writing gushing reviews for MxPx and Slick Shoes at the age Joe is now ... and I still love those bands dearly, and wanted to tell the world about them. I'm more disappointed that there are people that want to silence those voices for whatever reason. That they want to tell people no, to make others feel small because they've decided to stand up and give an opinion on a topic. To rise above the 140 characters of drabble and say "I love this, and this is why." That's what upsets me more than anything, the idea that others want to stifle a passion in someone else simply because they have either not found it in themselves, or simply because it happens to lay in a different place.

Think what you want ... I don't know a single reviewer that's not liked an album, yet took the time to write a glowing review simply because they are "friends" with the band. There's way too much going on in the day to waste your time faking passion.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos