Password

Album Review

Twenty One Pilots - Regional At Best Album Cover

Twenty One Pilots - Regional At Best

Reviewed by
Twenty One Pilots - Regional At Best
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: July 8th, 2011
"people say that there is nothing new under the sun. i just wrote a brand new song yesterday; so that can't be true." - Twenty One Pilots' facebook page.

Who are Twenty One Pilots? A two piece electronic, piano rock, rap duo hailing from Columbus, Ohio consisting of Tyler Joseph (vocals, piano, programming) and Josh Dun (drums, percussion, programming). If you say the music scene is dying, 21P are here to prove you wrong. Their music is creative, meaningful, and top notch in every aspect. This is a group that puts their heart and soul into every single song. If you love piano rock, electronica, meaningful lyrics, rapping, and something that no one has heard before, you are bound to love this up-and-coming band.

The album starts off with the lead single "Guns For Hands," which starts out with a bass drum kick and an uplifting melody. The album throws people off when the tempo change and reggae/old school rap beat in the bridge comes into play, then it picks back up to the normal tempo and finishes out with the chorus. Another song sure to throw people off is "Ode To Sleep," which starts off like something that would come off an Eminem album and then abruptly transitions into a Beatles like verse, and slows down into a melodic chorus, then transitions back into the rapping. It's been a very long time since I've heard such a dynamic song.

"Slowtown" and "Car Radio" are old songs which longtime fans will easily recognize. The former is a soundtrack for childhood and features an intense full blown electronica bridge with Joseph passionately screaming "We're going too fast, save us now!" The latter is a song about a personal experience with Joseph and is definitely one of the most captivating on the album. Almost all rapping, "Car Radio" is about how "silence is violent" and can drown you in your own thoughts.

"Forest" is sure to be a fan favorite. "Glowing Eyes" follows along the lines of Jack's Mannequin while still holding to 21P's signature sound. "Kitchen Sink", which features Josephs brother, has some of the most uplifting lyrics on the album, "Are you searching for purpose? Then write something, yeah it might be worthless. Then paint something then, it might be wordless. Pointless curses, nonsense verses. You'll see purpose start to surface. No one else is dealing with your demons meaning maybe defeating them could be the beginning of your meaning, friend."

Another old song that longtime fans will easily recognize is "Trees", which starts out with some well placed autotune and then instantly bursts with an onslaught of electronica and gunshot snare drum beats. The album closes with "Clear", which ends on a happy, yet desperate note.

If you are looking for something different under the sun, then Twenty One Pilots is that band. This album is near perfect and something I certainly wouldn't expect from an unsigned band. Twenty One Pilots could easily take over the world with their style and uplifting lyrics. This is the band to watch out for over the next few years because they're not backing down anytime soon.

"twenty one pilots is a band that does not want to be heard; they want to be listened to." - 21P's facebook page.

Recommended If You LikeOwl City; Eminem; Jack's Mannequin; happiness

facebook.com/twentyonepilots
myspace.com/twentyonepilots
twentyonepilots.com
This review is a user submitted review from Rickaly. You can see all of Rickaly's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
06:17 PM on 08/25/11
JamieTheSonger
05 Fuck Em
User Info.
I've been looking for some good rap, this is so good. Thanks for the review.
08:21 PM on 08/26/11
Rickaly
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've been looking for some good rap, this is so good. Thanks for the review.
No problem man. Spread them around. They definitely deserve a lot more attention than what they have.
09:17 PM on 08/26/11
JamieTheSonger
05 Fuck Em
User Info.
No problem man. Spread them around. They definitely deserve a lot more attention than what they have.
I've been telling everyone I know, MY MOM AND MY DAD.

By the way small typo
Quote:
Record Label: Unsinged
09:46 PM on 08/26/11
Rickaly
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Oh thanks man.
11:02 AM on 08/27/11
buckcheeks
User Info.
Never heard of this band til I read this review. Listened to the first three songs so far and I've got two words:

Holy shit.
12:10 PM on 08/27/11
buckcheeks
User Info.

Thanks a million for writing this. I've been listening to their albums for a couple hours now. Excellent.
11:10 AM on 08/28/11
Aschjentoe
Aschjentoe
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
good album! some songs on the album remind me of Die Antwoord, a group from South-Africa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc3f4...eature=related
11:31 AM on 08/28/11
Henry Ferreira
@Henry_csf
User Info.
Gotta check it out. So I have already built an enormous expectation and it is better be THAT damn good!
12:53 PM on 08/28/11
Rickaly
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thanks a million for writing this. I've been listening to their albums for a couple hours now. Excellent.
Yeah man they're exceptionally good. And even better live! Probably one of the most energetic artists I've ever seen. And they sound top notch and have damn good crowd interaction.
03:32 PM on 08/31/11
Docta Phil
User Info.
anything these guys do is fucking DOPE
12:00 PM on 09/01/11
apmanable
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wow, this might very well be the best album i've heard so far this year. I cant believe they're not signed. Thank you so much for making me discover this hidden gem of a band
07:32 PM on 09/01/11
Rickaly
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wow, this might very well be the best album i've heard so far this year. I cant believe they're not signed. Thank you so much for making me discover this hidden gem of a band
Yeah man. Pretty outstanding stuff. I can't belive they're not huge. I just think like how can anyone hate this? Lol.
11:02 AM on 09/06/11
forevertakeback
theforevertakeback
User Info.
AOTY imho... and I've only been listening for two weeks now
01:24 PM on 09/10/11
mrgenious
close your eyes, we're going under.
User Info.
really digging the stuff on their facebook... gonna have to get the whole thing.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos