AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Front Bottoms, The - The Front Bottoms Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.31
Musicianship 9.13
Lyrics 8.81
Production 8.63
Creativity 9.13
Lasting Value 8.63
Reviewer Tilt 9
Average: 88%
Inside AP.net

Front Bottoms, The - The Front Bottoms

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (08/30/11)
The Front Bottoms - The Front Bottoms
Release Date: September 6, 2011
Record Label: Bar/None Records

Reviewing The Front Bottoms’ debut full-length is sort of an awkward situation. I already said so much about this band in a review of their first EP, Slow Dance to Soft Rock. This self-titled full-length, the group’s first release on Bar/None Records, features the six songs we already heard on that first EP, plus six brand new tracks.

The good news is, the six new songs are just like the old ones in one very important way: they’re all good. Brian Sella continues his travels through lyrics that only really make sense to him, but are still fun as hell to sing along to for the rest of us. Take the story on “Mountain” as an example: “I bought fireworks / A big bag in Pennsylvania / I’m gonna light ‘em up when I get home to Jersey,” Sella croons. When he continues, “They’ll probably arrest me / They’ll probably ruin my whole summer,” you can feel that his summer would be ruined, but he doesn’t really seem to care. One line later, Sella gives us this gem: “Stop taking pictures with your phone.” And that might just make listeners laugh – but who isn’t singing along?

Opener “Flashlight” is another standout among the new tracks, playing more into what could be considered the band’s core sound – Sella and drummer Matt Uychich play aggressive and hard, but they play instruments that aren’t really that loud, so they come across as both fun/indie and punk. The indie/acoustic shtick is one that most likely anyone will be able to get behind, and even when things get a little weird, like on closer “Hooped Earrings,” The Front Bottoms are still accessible enough to keep the interest of even the most easily distracted.

The previously released tracks play well with others in a full-length setting, which is no surprise. “Maps” and “The Beers” are still the biggest triumphs here, and the new recording/production does major favors to each. It might be viewed as a negative thing to say so early in a young band’s career, but I assure the New Jersey natives that I mean no disrespect when I say they may never write a song better than “The Beers.” I’m sure they might be sick of it already, since such can be the case with that one song that people like most (like, how much can Tigers Jaw still get amped on “I Saw Water?”), but that song will be returned to for as long as I like music like this.

The Front Bottoms basically gives old fans a new EP and better-produced versions of songs on an old EP, while introducing the group to soon-to-be converted fans. And maybe I’m easily satisfied, but I’m okay with this. The Front Bottoms may have doubled the length of their catalog with this release, but their significance as they make more noise away from the confines of Bergen County is growing exponentially.

7.5/10

Recommended If You LikeSlow Dance to Soft Rock, indie/acoustic/pop
Follow Me On TwitterHey now, we've got to make it rain somehow.
Bare Essentials1. Flashlight
2. Maps
3. Looking Like You Just Woke Up
4. Mountain
5. Rhode Island
6. The Beers
7. Father
8. Swimming Pool
9. The Boredom Is The Reason I Started Swimming. It’s Also The Reason I Started Sinking
10. Bathtub
11. Legit Tattoo Gun
12. Hooped Earrings
Run Time: 45 minutes
AP.net Profile (Stream of "Mountain")
Preorder

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19.
09:49 PM on 08/30/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Inevitably people will wonder why this is scored lower than the EP - it's really just a shift in how I'm scoring records, I guess. This is an improvement on the EP, the songs from that EP sound better, and the new songs are rad.
10:24 PM on 08/30/11
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
User Info.
gonna pre-order this as soon as i get my balance and composure poster from no sleep. so stoked. this will probably be one of my best records of the year, even if it's just for the Slow Dance to Soft Rock songs.
10:33 PM on 08/30/11
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Love this record
05:25 AM on 08/31/11
cwhit412
User Info.
The lyrics seemed great from first listen, but from later on it just seemed ridiculous. His vocals aren't great either, which was a big turn off.
08:59 AM on 08/31/11
tbsxblink
User Info.
can't wait
09:04 AM on 08/31/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
The lyrics seemed great from first listen, but from later on it just seemed ridiculous. His vocals aren't great either, which was a big turn off.
I love the vocals - and the ridiculous lyrics are a part of the whole package.
09:07 AM on 08/31/11
Jay Sean Fenris
User Info.
I liked it fine, the lyrics didn't bother me like they usually do. But the vocals were a real turn off.
09:58 AM on 08/31/11
AReiss
Coffee & Cigarettes Clothing Co.
User Info.
I personally like the ridiculous lyrics. They're more meant to evoke a feeling than focus on a specific thing he's saying, in my opinion. I can see how some would dislike them though. Also, I find the vocals charming. I'm greatly looking forward to this.
10:32 AM on 08/31/11
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
I actually really enjoy the weird vocals and simple beats it stands out among the millions of other bands out there that sound alike. However the lyrics in the new songs that I've heard so far seemed a bit simple. IDK SDtSR grabbed me so much better.
10:41 AM on 08/31/11
ChristianLFTW
How YOU doin'?
User Info.
Reppin' Bergen County.
12:45 PM on 08/31/11
MarkusN-K
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
might have to check them out
01:37 PM on 08/31/11
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
I just saw a 2008 album by "The Front Bottoms" called Grandma Vs. Pneumonia... Anyone know what this is?
03:03 PM on 08/31/11
lld767
cmon!
User Info.
the beers is such a jam. possibly the jammiest jam out there
08:40 AM on 09/06/11
tbsxblink
User Info.
I just saw a 2008 album by "The Front Bottoms" called Grandma Vs. Pneumonia... Anyone know what this is?
It's them. They've put a bunch of self released albums before this one. They're all great too I recommend checking them out!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests