AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Sullivan - 05.26.07

Sullivan - 05.26.07

Interviewed by
Sullivan - 05.26.07Thanks to Brooks and Cara for making this interview happen! You can view Sullivan's AbsolutePunk profile here.

Jamie Pham: Let's start off by stating your name and what you play in the band, Sullivan.

Brooks: Brooks Paschal, Iím the lonely singer!!

Do you feel Sullivan has matured since the first record? If so, how?

Songwriting mainly, we really figured ourselves out. We wrote some really "Real" songs. I love that! This record has NO filler, not one bad song. In fact we had to choose between 7 songs to choose a single.

What did you do to improve the strength of your voice so much from the first to the second record?

2 years of touring helps, doing a record once helps you figure out how to do the next one. Also, I havenít been singing very long, so Iím still finding myself. I am constantly learning things about my voice, so there is a lot yet to accomplish, but James was a good coach, we were on the same page when it came to delivery and tone. I actually sound like a dude on this record!

What was it like working with a new producer versus Matt Goldman? Pro's and Con's?

Wisner is more hands on, and in the end thatís what we wanted. We needed someone who wanted to mold us and work for a common goal. Goldman is all about sounds, he is a genius when it comes to tones, but kinda lays off the writing and structure parts. Wisner focused more on the song itself, and as a writer it was a blast working with him, cause he didnít help write or write anything, he just has a way of motivating you into doing it yourself. So that was nice.

Is it frustrating when certain people will want to market you a certain way or will make ridiculous assumptions about your band just because of the genetics between your drummer and Spencer Chamberlain?

HAHA, its kinda bullshit. The thing is, we sold 10K of hey i'm a ghost, thatís not a success. Underoath is an amazing band and great friends, obviously the family connection makes us all very close, but we didnít get handed anything, we will continue to work for ourselves, and the results will be a direct result of work and OUR art.

When did it become apparent that you wanted to add Jeremy to the band? How did Jeremy come about as the candidate for the spot?

Jeremy was gonna be in this 2 years ago, it just took us time to get in a place, both sides really. He needed to finish school. And we needed to grow. So for this record he came in heard the songs, learned the songs, and we started touring! Heís an amazing dude and a great musician; heís made my life amazing.

What are your plans after this tour?

ITíS A SECRET!

What happened to the tour Sullivan was supposed to do with Showbread this year? Sullibread 2007---will it happen?

Hmm, secret. You know we will do it again. We love those dudes soo much; they are our best friends in the world we cant live without them.

What influences you most when it comes to writing the songs, lyric-wise and stylistically?

My mood, the place I am in my life. I really try to just let things happen. I might look back and notice certain things that I was feeling and realize that it was very subliminal. This record is very mean and dark, and the truth is I was in a bad place at the time. I was experimenting the feelings that I had never felt before and I was putting them in their place. Oddly enough, I didnít realize that until after I really heard the record.

How did you guys get involved with To Write Love On Her Arms? And do you think you are helping the organization?

I met Jaime a while ago at a festival, heís a sweetheart and genuinely incredible person. We donít do enough for him and his cause, I wish we did. I mean the truth is I wear a shirt or a hoodie and get 20 people a night asking me what it means, and its incredible cause he did a great job of creating something that sparks interest. He is doing a great thing for the young people of the world.

If you could describe each band member as an animal, what would you pick? And why?

Zach is the owl- heís the youngest in band, but has the oldest soul.
Tyson is a bear- you just want to hug him and hope he doesnít swat your head off
Phil is a raccoon- he is very organized and quick, he also almost gets run over all of the time
Jeremy is a unicorn- cause I still can't believe he exists.
I would be spider I think.

If you could go back in time and tell a younger you one thing, what would it be and why?

Be bold!
Donít be scared of anyone or anything. Be positive, negative thinking is just a waste of life and makes for a sore person. I went to Hawaii recently and jumped off one of those rock walls, it was like 60 feet or something. I couldnít believe that I did it, I use to be soo anti fun. No More my friends

You wake up tomorrow a super hero, what would your powers be and what kind of name would you have for yourself?

Telekinesis!
Iím bad with names, maybe brain boy? Hell I donít know

Thanks for taking time to answer these questions for me!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
10:18 AM on 06/04/07
joshy hizzle
Rocky Top
User Info.
hes an amazing guy. i met him at rocketown and he was more interested in conversation than any other lead singer ive met so far.
10:29 AM on 06/04/07
xtianheadbanger
Jedi Knight
User Info.
I'm really excited for this record.
But UH-OH he said bullshit. We best hope that the Christian music community doesn't hear that. They'll be excommunicated for sure. That's afterall what happened to Evanescence.
Anyways, I don't care it was a great interview.
10:38 AM on 06/04/07
hailthewarrior
haters gonna hate hate hate
User Info.
Good interview, my question got asked. Cool.

My pre-order should be coming in tomorrow... pretty stoked.
01:44 PM on 06/04/07
SweetThye
esta noche sera mia
User Info.
"I actually sound like a dude on this record!"

Thank God, makes the record sound so much better. He truly has stepped it up with the vocals. Not so whiny, but it's still his unique voice. I love it.
02:14 PM on 06/04/07
singyoutocoma
Find a thread to pull...
User Info.
UH-OH he said bullshit. We best hope that the Christian music community doesn't hear that. They'll be excommunicated for sure. That's afterall what happened to Evanescence.

I almost laughed at that. Then I cried. Truth is, Evanescence had two things against them with that...they were on a mainstream secular label, and they sucked. Zao and He Is Legend have cussed in interviews before, and no one excommunicated anyone.

Thank God, makes the record sound so much better. He truly has stepped it up with the vocals. Not so whiny, but it's still his unique voice. I love it.

My thoughts exactly.
02:17 PM on 06/04/07
awkward_stu
User Info.
whoo! my question got asked and answered... thanks much.
02:20 PM on 06/04/07
combatbaby
meow
User Info.

Totally. I just think back to the Count The Time in Quarter Tones EP... and I laugh. He's definitely improved a TON. Good interview, gonna go pick up this album tomorrow.
02:28 PM on 06/04/07
hydraulicheart
The world is yours, so take it.
User Info.
Hey, I'm A Ghost should have sold way more than 10k. :/

And I hope they tour with Showbread - I missed it the last time they played my area together.
03:15 PM on 06/04/07
End is Forever
User Info.
Totally. I just think back to the Count The Time in Quarter Tones EP... and I laugh. He's definitely improved a TON. Good interview, gonna go pick up this album tomorrow.

I listened to that last week actually, haha.
03:31 PM on 06/04/07
Angel Jin
Now Loading....
User Info.
hey, i saw them last night and Phil said that they will be going on another summer tour. the only place i know they're going is here (St. Louis, MO) because he "promised" they'd come back here.

for anyone anxious to see them, they also said at their show last night that they will no longer be playing off of the old record. it's strictly Cover Your Eyes from here on out.
03:55 PM on 06/04/07
eltroyo11
User Info.

for anyone anxious to see them, they also said at their show last night that they will no longer be playing off of the old record. it's strictly Cover Your Eyes from here on out.

As much as I love Cover Your Eyes, I'm a little surprised that not even Ten Ways or Cars At Break-Neck Speeds will ever be played again.
03:56 PM on 06/04/07
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
Picking up "Cover Your Eyes" tomorrow for sure.
04:00 PM on 06/04/07
tacosforcharles
it all ends
User Info.
Great interview, so excited for Cover Your Eyes.
05:49 PM on 06/04/07
CWeezer2
User Info.
he seems like a cool guy to interview

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News