AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Article - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 200.
08:39 AM on 09/02/11
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
First off, thank you for including Shabazz Palaces, but why in the fuck did you put OF in the RIYL? Is that some kind of stupid joke?

Don't get me wrong, I like them both, but to say they are similar in any way is an insult to Shabazz Palaces. The way OF is talked about here you are turning listeners away from a much more sophisticated, forward-thinking and talented group than OF.

Shabazz Palaces debut record is one of the best things released this year - don't let this list fool you.
Haha, no. Maybe it's a lazy comparison, but a) there aren't really all that many accurate comparisons-- Shabazz Places is one of the more unique acts around and b) I think there is a level of abstraction and minimalism to what they do that is similar to many of Odd Future's recordings-- it's not as left-field as stuff like Odd Nosdam and cLOUDDEAD, but it's not Drake pop-rap either. I thought my selection would at least entice some people to click on the little play button. Of course, like all complaints about RIYLs, yours fails to offer a better alternative. In any event, I switched it to Doc Oc.
08:46 AM on 09/02/11
wormofthesenses
no destiny as seen on tv
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
nice to see Sundials on here
08:48 AM on 09/02/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Haha, no. Maybe it's a lazy comparison, but a) there aren't really all that many accurate comparisons-- Shabazz Places is one of the more unique acts around and b) I think there is a level of abstraction and minimalism to what they do that is similar to many of Odd Future's recordings-- it's not as left-field as stuff like Odd Nosdam and cLOUDDEAD, but it's not Drake pop-rap either. I thought my selection would at least entice some people to click on the little play button. Of course, like all complaints about RIYLs, yours fails to offer a better alternative. In any event, I switched it to Doc Oc.

It wasn't so much making a better or more accurate comparision, I said they shouldn't be compared to OF because OF are too one-sided and controversial when it boils down to it - especially with readership here. It would be a shame if someone didn't click the "little play button" because they thought it was similar to OF. They, of course, are miles ahead of them on every level. But, you're right, there isn't really an easy comparison to SP. I just thought OF was a cop out. I mean, you could even make a case that they are similar the FlyLo and Thundercat because of their production. But what the hell do I know?

ANYWAY, I'm just glad they made the list, so thanks.
09:05 AM on 09/02/11
katiedontcryx41
we found our own reasons to sing
User Info.
already found arrange and code orange kids through this site. backed hard. gonna check out a few that i haven't heard of!
09:43 AM on 09/02/11
matsmith_203
User Info.
i hope The World is a Beautiful Place & I am No Longer Afraid to Die, Coastal, Reservoir, and Canvas get shown some love on here
09:46 AM on 09/02/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Anybody had a listen and found anything new they enjoy?

Kyle, do you listen to Male Bonding?
10:02 AM on 09/02/11
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
Arrange, He Is We, O'Brother, Pepper Rabbit... this list is off to a great start!
10:03 AM on 09/02/11
Stephin_DC
Registered Member
User Info.
Daytrader sounds very promising
10:04 AM on 09/02/11
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
Kyle, do you listen to Male Bonding?
Of course! Post about them quite frequently on here. You a fan? Enjoying Endless Now?
10:15 AM on 09/02/11
Ian Walker
wes craven with x cravings.
User Info.
Themes recently did a session for Daytrotter if anyone found them interesting:

http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/themes-...6-3738488.html
10:17 AM on 09/02/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Of course! Post about them quite frequently on here. You a fan? Enjoying Endless Now?

Yeah I've been a huge fan since Nothing Hurts and I couldn't be happier with Endless Now. It's completely blowing me away. I think a lot of APers would love a lot of the throwback pop punk nostalgia. It's a really, really great record.
10:38 AM on 09/02/11
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Lots of good stuff this year!
10:41 AM on 09/02/11
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
really digging Beeches
10:44 AM on 09/02/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Holy shit @ The James Cleaver Quintet. That is all.
10:49 AM on 09/02/11
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
also, Pepper Rabbit
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles