AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Two Door Cinema Club - Tourist History Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 8.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 8.94
Lyrics 8.81
Production 9.06
Creativity 8.56
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.88
Average: 89%
Inside AP.net

Two Door Cinema Club - Tourist History

Reviewed by: Henry Ferreira (09/03/11)
Two Door Cinema Club - Tourist History
Release Date: February 26th, 2010
Record Label: Kitsuné Music / Glassnote Records

So, many of you mustn’t have heard to this album yet. I hate to transfer my opinion in such an explicit way just like I’m doing now, but this is so awesome. The trio Two Door Cinema Club, from Northern Ireland, is making its way to enormous success with this marvelous 10-track debut. Tourist History is a cheerful piece of art, which will be reminded for a long time in the indie electro/power-pop history as a remarkable work from those brilliant Northern Irish boys Sam Halliday, Kevin Baird and Alex Trimble.

It’s agreeable that Tourist History already starts at full-force. “Cigarettes in the Theatre” is the first song of the record, where its introduction makes the impression the audience inside the theatre room is watching a more suspenseful movie. However, when the guitar enters, that little terror-movie background begins to fall apart and the real deal finally shows up, like a blast of ecstasy coming from nowhere… but in the good sense, of course. When Halliday’s voice goes into the short, simply-composed chorus, it makes you want to rewind and sing along. Be careful or you just might whisper “Look past the blinding light, look past the blinding light” all day long after you listen to it.

“Come Back Home” is about keep persisting to find your path through the challenges we all face when it comes to become an adult and having a mature, independent life. While the lyrics are passionately sung in the chorus part where Sam sings “So now you’re on your own / won’t you come back home? / you see, you’re not that kind / to find the strength to find another way”, it becomes noticeable that the trio had faced some troubles thinking they couldn’t survive all by themselves. But they did survive, and the result is plus one track to the debut.

The next two songs had been composed in a very repetitive structure, still, in an amusing kind of way (it may look bit controversial, but this is what I’ve really meant). “Do You Want It All?” is very poppy, gleeful and it tightly sticks up in your head. “This is the Life” follows that pattern too, although it’s more peaceful and pleasant; by that I mean it’s a great song to relax and forget of your problems, your compromises, your job and even your life as well.

“Something Good Can Work” is the main single of the album and it has a different pace from the rest of the record tracks. It’s so gay, but at the same time extremely addictive. It’s a song literally made to light up your day, with that great get-up-and-go you’d like to have in hard days at work, and you can see it when they sing “It took a little time to make a little better / it’s only going up just one thing and another, you know”, insinuating that, step by step, things can get really better if you let them fit in.

“I Can Talk” is the strangest song of the album. When hearing the “ah-oh, oh-oh-oh” part in the beginning, you may ask yourself: “What the hell is that?”… But when these odd vocals are mixed with the song chorus, you’ll probably say “Oh, it is good!” instead. Trimble’s guitar screams with synth / reverb effects in the main riff, making it look like an enhanced keytar (I just couldn’t find another example, sorry about that).

“Undercover Martyn” is one of those cheesy songs that are, in both ways, senseless but totally cool. It just makes you want to stand up and dance your ass off. As it goes, you cannot deny shaking your head during the intro. It’s just too funky; no one resists to this slappy, powerful bass of Baird’s with the drum machine pumping the beat altogether. “What You Know” is no dissimilar: it’s the classic cheerful summer track, with uplifting lyrics like “And I can taste it / it’s my sweet beginning!”

When coming to the end of the album, there’s “Eat That Up, It’s Good for You” and “You’re Not Stubborn”, which are good closers. “Eat That Up” has the last nuclear explosion of electric instrumentations; I strongly suggest you, when this time comes, to close your eyes and enjoy this final blast of ecstasy the album gives you. Because “You’re Not Stubborn” only works as a final act, leaving you with that feeling and need for some more…

If power-pop is your wave, this is pure gold. If not, then it’s a must-see album! If you don’t like pop music, just give it a shot. Why not? It’s contagious, nicely recorded and also pretty emotional. It undeniably differs in concept from all indie stuff around, just by being so childish, yet mature at the same time. I recommend you to put your worries out of your mind for a second and let TDCC dominate your body and your soul, and I’m sure your day will become much better.

Pressing the repeat button is up to you. Have fun!
Recommended If You Like Go Periscope!; Foster The People (highly recommended); Kyle Andrews; Breathe Electric; Summer hits; Dancing; Having fun.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
12:51 PM on 09/05/11
COREhorizon
Get Free
User Info.
Album is fun and catchy, but has little to no lasting value. I would probably score it below 80.
02:12 PM on 09/05/11
Henry Ferreira
@Henry_csf
User Info.
Album is fun and catchy, but has little to no lasting value. I would probably score it below 80.
Well, I agree partly, because for indie electro-pop fans (kinda like me) this is very good... I'll just say I've got a thing for this kind of music!
04:15 PM on 09/07/11
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
good lord this is a fantastic record. so much energy. one of the best live shows i've ever seen too.
02:27 PM on 09/08/11
Henry Ferreira
@Henry_csf
User Info.
good lord this is a fantastic record. so much energy. one of the best live shows i've ever seen too.
I know!! They are awesome! Rumour has it they'll a new record for 2012... I'm hoping for that!
06:46 AM on 09/13/11
blue_light_888
User Info.
Quote:
Recommended If You Like
Go Periscope!; Foster The People (highly recommended); Kyle Andrews; Breathe Electric; Summer hits; Dancing; Having fun.

Ooooh, I like all of these. This seems like the perfect album for me!

EDIT: the lead single owns hard.
12:37 PM on 09/13/11
Henry Ferreira
@Henry_csf
User Info.
Ooooh, I like all of these. This seems like the perfect album for me!

EDIT: the lead single owns hard.
Yeah, and it is! Have you heard it already?
04:17 PM on 09/13/11
blue_light_888
User Info.
Yeah, and it is! Have you heard it already?

Going to listen today, as a matter of fact. :)
06:43 AM on 09/15/11
blue_light_888
User Info.
Originally Posted by Henry Ferreira
:

Listened all the way through, and it's a lot of fun. Reminds me of a happier One AM Radio.

The songs are kind of similar structurally, but they're short enough that it doesn't become a big problem.

I will definitely be keeping an eye out for this band, though; I really enjoyed this!
08:44 AM on 09/15/11
Henry Ferreira
@Henry_csf
User Info.
Listened all the way through, and it's a lot of fun. Reminds me of a happier One AM Radio.

The songs are kind of similar structurally, but they're short enough that it doesn't become a big problem.

I will definitely be keeping an eye out for this band, though; I really enjoyed this!
Great! And you are right about the structure, however, I've listened like thousand times and each track seems to have its own meaning for me, ya know... You just have to get familiar with it and then you have even more fun!
This band really has a future... And I'm looking forward to it!
04:53 AM on 09/21/11
SalKelsoWoah
imnotsalanymore
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Such a fun album to drive to
10:57 AM on 10/21/11
Feldmanater
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Check out the Wombats, they're similar and awesome. Additionally, didn't these guys win Irish Rock Album of the year in 2010? They aren't widely known yet?
07:58 AM on 10/22/11
Henry Ferreira
@Henry_csf
User Info.
Check out the Wombats, they're similar and awesome. Additionally, didn't these guys win Irish Rock Album of the year in 2010? They aren't widely known yet?
Will check 'em, thanks.

Yes, they won the Best Irish RA in 2010, and in fact they are very, very known now... Actually, their popularity first raised greatly because BBC published them into some kind of "Heatseekers List", you know. Then it was easy to make success, and truth be told, they deserve it!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums