Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 81
09:36 AM on 09/05/11
PHI Flyers10
Registered Member
User Info.
People need to listen to this album more to form a better opinion. I'm loving it. I don't think anything they do will ever beat By the Way, which I think is one of the greatest records ever. This album is really good though. It has their classic sound with a bit of a different spin. Sure I miss Frusciante (he's my favorite guitarist) but Klinghoffer does the background vocals really nicely. I'm sure on the next album/live he'll let go a little more.

Monarchy of Roses, Did I Let You Know, Police Station, and Meet Me at the Corner are the best tracks. Meet Me at the Corner sounds like something off of By the Way.
09:59 AM on 09/05/11
AdamChildress
Wondrous Oblivion.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Will always love this talented group of musicians, love this album.
10:00 AM on 09/05/11
Alexx Miller
Dominic Decoco
User Info.
This album is really good. Nice review too.
10:02 AM on 09/05/11
thekinison
Use the fuckin pikey...
User Info.
Such a great record for soo many reasons - Anthony sounds great, Josh's guitar work is beautiful and i love the production - doesn't sounds over-produced like previous records.

'Police Station' sounds like a BSSM single, brilliant song.
10:03 AM on 09/05/11
schlotty
See you later, Joben!
User Info.
Great review. Gonna go check this out now.
10:31 AM on 09/05/11
DooDooBird
User Info.
I was nervous about this album because of Frusciante's departure. Most of it stems because of my hatred for their last album without him - One Hot Minute. But this new album is great.

Klinghoffer is a great guitarist and does a nice job. I actually miss Frusciante's backup vocals more so than his guitar work on this album.

Also, why so much hate for Stadium Arcadium? I thought that album was really good. 28 tracks... only a handful of them were filler IMO.
10:31 AM on 09/05/11
DCART
@DylanCarty
User Info.
might have to check it out. im sure the radio will ruin it for me though :]
10:44 AM on 09/05/11
bandnamexmyname
&^%^&
User Info.
Not as down with this one.
10:50 AM on 09/05/11
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
i think you all got a different record than i did. this is the new rhcp right? because the cd i have made me laugh out loud because it was so fucking horrid. anthony keidis' lyrics are that of a two headed beast, one head is that of a drooling baby, while the other is a retired boxer. what im trying to say is the man clearly has no brain cells left.

klinghoffer brings absolutely nothing to the table either , just a downgraded Frusciante. he even does the falsetto backups, and thats just fuckin corny. to me, all this record is, is a second dose of proof that John Frusiante is the creative force behind this band.

also, what uncharted territory did they cover on this release? they added a keyboard to the mix? for a band this eclectic, i have trouble finding that to be a big deal. as for the tone, it has regurgitated Frusiante tricks all over it.

im sorry man, you're review is well written, and generally i think you're a smart agreeable dude, but i'm struggling to find a sentence i agree with. it was One Hot Minute that had Dave Navarro too, btw. The whole point of Californication was that Frusciante was back in the band again.
10:51 AM on 09/05/11
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
I was nervous about this album because of Frusciante's departure. Most of it stems because of my hatred for their last album without him - One Hot Minute. But this new album is great.

Klinghoffer is a great guitarist and does a nice job. I actually miss Frusciante's backup vocals more so than his guitar work on this album.

Also, why so much hate for Stadium Arcadium? I thought that album was really good. 28 tracks... only a handful of them were filler IMO.
to me, they were all filler.
11:08 AM on 09/05/11
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
This may be my least favorite RHCP record since Freaky Styley. Real good review though, Thomas.
11:17 AM on 09/05/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Didn't Frusciante play on Californication? I'm pretty positive he did, I think what you meant was that this is the first album since One Hot Minute where they've played without him.
Oh man. I just re-read that sentence. It makes no sense the way it's worded, I need to re-write to clarify. I knew he was on that record - I was trying to say that he's been on every record since then.
11:20 AM on 09/05/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
i think you all got a different record than i did. this is the new rhcp right? because the cd i have made me laugh out loud because it was so fucking horrid. anthony keidis' lyrics are that of a two headed beast, one head is that of a drooling baby, while the other is a retired boxer. what im trying to say is the man clearly has no brain cells left.

klinghoffer brings absolutely nothing to the table either , just a downgraded Frusciante. he even does the falsetto backups, and thats just fuckin corny. to me, all this record is, is a second dose of proof that John Frusiante is the creative force behind this band.

also, what uncharted territory did they cover on this release? they added a keyboard to the mix? for a band this eclectic, i have trouble finding that to be a big deal. as for the tone, it has regurgitated Frusiante tricks all over it.

im sorry man, you're review is well written, and generally i think you're a smart agreeable dude, but i'm struggling to find a sentence i agree with. it was One Hot Minute that had Dave Navarro too, btw. The whole point of Californication was that Frusciante was back in the band again.
Despite everything you said, it's a good-sounding record. And see above, I realized that the sentence was not written clearly enough. Unchartered territory was meant to refer to them writing again without Frusciante.
11:33 AM on 09/05/11
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
Despite everything you said, it's a good-sounding record. And see above, I realized that the sentence was not written clearly enough. Unchartered territory was meant to refer to them writing again without Frusciante.
ah, gotcha, kind of thought that, but wasn't sure. as for the record still sounding good, between flea and chad smith there's too much talent to make a truly awful sounding album. even if the song is utter shit, that rhythm section will at least make up something memorable, which they do more than not on this album. it just so happens that the songs are actually utter shit tho, imo.
11:54 AM on 09/05/11
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I like the record, but would probably rate it around a 7 or so. John Frusciante is missed, but the new guy does a good job. I just think this record highlights once again how much better this band could be with someone else writing the lyrics. Kiedis doesn't write songs about anything most of the time, and that's why no RHCP albums have any lasting value for me. They sound nice, yeah, they spawn some good radio singles and I'm sure this record will be no different, but it seems strange to me that Kiedis ends up dominating what this record is to me so much when he's in the company of three far, far more talented musicians than himself.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos