AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Harvard Business - 08.31.11

Interviewed by
Harvard Business - 08.31.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Harvard Business
www.harvardbusinessband.com
www.facebook.com/harvardbusinessband

1. How did you get your band name?
One day, while driving around Burnaby, it was suggested to me by a friend. At the time we just joked about it but when it came time to choose a name for real that one stuck out and held meaning for us.

2. How did this band get started?
When my first band broke up in Nelson, I decided to form a new band and turned to Kane who I have been friends since we were in elementary school. Originally we were going to put the band under the same name (City After Six) but we felt it made more sense since my songs and the lineup had changed so much. Michael and Tommy joined us after we moved to Vancouver and Harvard Business was born.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Elliott Smith, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, The Weakerthans, Bright Eyes, and Moneen are 6 artists that play a part in how our songs feel and sound. Of course we try to combine these influences and do something different rather than replicate any sole band so I can't really pin it on one.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
On a more realistic level, we would love to tour with our friends We Are The City; Kane and I grew up with 2 of their members in Kelowna and they have some really great music. If I were to be totally unrealistic I'd say one of our major influences like Radiohead or Arcade Fire.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
We haven't really put any sort of emphasis on touring yet and have instead been focusing on writing songs and rehearsing, but I know Triple O's is amazing road trip food. I'm not sure how far those chains reach though but their burgers are ridiculously good when they want to be.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because we try to leave you with something after, whether it be a feeling or a memory that we helped bring back. We don't want to just write one-off songs and have you dancing for 3 minutes then that's that...we want to leave an impression.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
I would be that hockey player that is going out with Elisha Cuthbert.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I think we'd still be in our seats, wide-eyed and making high-pitched noises.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I don't know, I kind of like the way it is right now. The way the music works around internet is really cool and gives people chances they never would have had 20 years ago. However, that has caused a lot of people to forget about physical copies so I guess I would change that. I miss when going to the shop to find music from your favourite band was an experience and not just a few clicks.

10. Memorable tour experience?
I had a beer once...

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
I have been a member for awhile so I really like being able to easily see news from all my favourite bands. I also really respect things like this that they do to support small bands like us - the community here is really cool and has given so many bands a great cult following.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
I think "The Phone Is Ringing" is my favourite song of ours right now so naturally it's my favourite to play, even though it's slower. We're still writing a few for our album though that I think I will have a lot of fun playing this Fall.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Outside of Canada and the US, I've only really been to Mexico and that was pretty sweet. I would love to go to Europe at some point though, I think that would be...once I go.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Steve Earle and Blue Rodeo. My Dad played those 2 artists like mad. Lots of other country artists too though like Hank Williams Jr. We always used to go up to our cabin in the woods and would have those on. I still listen to those songs for that reason.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I think to be able to fly would be amazing. Probably because I hate driving and I like having as much freedom as possible.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Not really, we haven't had time to develop anything like that. Maybe something weird will eventually show itself like Moneen's weird hip-circle-thing.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Our songs.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
I don't think radio is a great place for us. We tend to write songs outside of that 3.5-minute time range and most of the time their structures stray. We are pushing with independent and online radio a lot though so that's cool. CBC 3 is great for that with Canadian music.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
We all work a lot so outside of work lately we've just been trying to get some time to work on these songs. However outside of those commitments I always make time for friends and family.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Well, this used to be kind of my hidden talent but now it's not as hidden. I used to be the visual artist but maybe they've switched places and that one I don't show as much more. Most of my talents are artistic and I'm usually trying to find creative things to do so it kind of works out.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
12:50 PM on 09/07/11
krockradio24
User Info.
you guys are aware there is already a fairly well known band called "Harvard" right?
02:11 PM on 09/07/11
jesse_hitz
Juice
User Info.
Harvard is lame this band is way better!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos