Username
Password

Album Review

Oh, Sleeper - Children of Fire Album Cover

Oh, Sleeper - Children of Fire

Reviewed by
Oh, SleeperChildren of Fire
Record Label: Solid State Records
Release Date: September 6, 2011 (digitally) / September 27, 2011 (physically)
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
If there’s one thing Oh, Sleeper proved with Son of the Morning it’s that they realize progression is necessary to stay alive on the heavy side of music these days. And sure enough, it’s clear that this mentality stuck, as Children on Fire is a powerhouse of a record. This is the record that will put them on the same level as acts such as The Chariot and August Burns Red in the metalcore scene.

Musically, Children of Fire carries the signature Oh, Sleeper guitar play, only even more refined and controlled. Shane Blay and James Erwin demonstrate just this throughout the frantic “The Marriage of Steel and Skin,” as their guitar work proves to the backbone of the track. Zac Mayfield also proves to be a machine behind the kit, dominating the chaotic “Claws of a God.”

However, the main progression proves to be within song structure this time around. The mellow “Hush Yael,” “The Conscience Speaks,” and “Dealers of Fame” depict a different side of Oh, Sleeper, even channeling Earth-era Thrice at times. It’s this growth and progression that will set these guys apart from similar acts of the genre, as these acoustic numbers demonstrate the versatility of Micah Kinard as a vocalist. It’s the mix of these softer tracks with some of the heaviest songs Oh, Sleeper have written (“Shed Your Soul”) that makes this record more than just a generic metalcore album.

Nonetheless, the heavy moments do absolutely destroy throughout the record. The opening “Endseekers” is an absolute behemoth of a song, paced by Kinard’s signature growl over excellent guitar work. The frenzied “Shed Your Soul” will please fans of The Chariot as Kinard frantically growls, “If you fail then you fail cause your body is weak / And you’ll never be as strong as you dream to achieve.” Not only do these heavy moments shine, the chemistry between Shane Blay and Kinard is stronger than ever this time around, as noted on the bipolar “The Family Ruin” and final “Children of Fire.”

As the record ends, it’s clear that Oh, Sleeper aren’t about to slow down any time soon. Now three records into the game, they just keep getting better. The final declaration of “We are the children of fire / We are the lions / We stay when all else deserted / Because we were born to fight” on the closing track cements their place on the battlefield, proving they’re not about to stop fighting any time soon. With Children of Fire, Oh, Sleeper continue to fight their way to the top of the pedestal.

Recommended If You LikeSon of the Morning; The Chariot’s Wars and Rumors of Wars; August Burns Red

Listen ToEndseekers; Hush Yael; Claws of a God

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Endseekers
2. Shed Your Soul
3. The Marriage of Steel and Skin
4. Hush Yael
5. The Conscience Speaks
6. Dealers of Fame
7. Means To Believe
8. In The Wake of Pigs
9. Claws of a God
10. The Family Ruin
11. Chewing The Stitch
12. Children of Fire

Oh, Sleeper are:
Micah Kinard – Vocals
Shane Blay – Guitar, Vocals
Nate Grady – Bass
James Erwin – Guitar
Zac Mayfield – Drums

Facebook

Follow Me On Twitter http://www.twitter.com/RyanGardnerC

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 83
08:02 PM on 09/07/11
the color theft
User Info.
I can't get enough of "The Family Ruin."
I like this record a lot more than Son of the Morning, but I don't think When I Am God can ever be topped, for me.
08:48 PM on 09/07/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I can't get enough of "The Family Ruin."
I like this record a lot more than Son of the Morning, but I don't think When I Am God can ever be topped, for me.
SOTM
COF
WIAG

for me
08:56 PM on 09/07/11
Steve Alcala
facebook.com/stevealcalaart
User Info.
I never got into WIAG. This album blew me away though. Shane sounds amazing on the record. The music is so much more structured and shows emotions much more than previous releases. IMO 84% is too low
09:02 PM on 09/07/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I never got into WIAG. This album blew me away though. Shane sounds amazing on the record. The music is so much more structured and shows emotions much more than previous releases. IMO 84% is too low
I don't worry about score really
09:24 PM on 09/07/11
Steve Alcala
facebook.com/stevealcalaart
User Info.
I don't worry about score really
Well regardless of score, great review. This album is definitely top 5 for the year
10:02 PM on 09/07/11
murphy77
User Info.
im still waiting for my download code but i previewed it once on spotify. cant wait to jam it.
10:21 PM on 09/07/11
CastlesXClouds
Relax
User Info.
record is flat out powerful. releases like this and dead throne really give the christian hardcore genre such awesome cred. (not to say bands like underoath and what not don't)
10:44 PM on 09/07/11
bandnamexmyname
&^%^&
User Info.
I like this band.
10:44 PM on 09/07/11
IdiotFlight
User Info.
record is flat out powerful. releases like this and dead throne really give the christian hardcore genre such awesome cred. (not to say bands like underoath and what not don't)
I agree. The top three albums on itunes for metal, if I'm not mistaken, were Children of Fire, Dead Throne, and Leveler in that order.

Album is really good. I see a lot of both WIAG and SOTM on this. They have a fantastic way of displaying passion and I love Micah's vocal delivery. I feel like this may be their best yet.

Edit: Grammar fail.
10:46 PM on 09/07/11
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Good review but not to nitpick I wouldn't necessarily say "Zac Mayfield also continues to be a machine behind the kit" as this is his first release with the band and they have had 3 different (yet surprisingly all talented) drummers for all 3 albums.
10:48 PM on 09/07/11
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
True, though Uø is obviously a great band I feel that both O,S and TDWP have matured more as of late and are playing a more fresh sound of modern metalcore than them. In my opinion, Uø climaxed with DTGL though LITSOS was still interesting.
10:58 PM on 09/07/11
defmytones
User Info.
This is probably going to end up being my Metalcore AOTY for me. Such improvement these guys have shown.
11:02 PM on 09/07/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Good review but not to nitpick I wouldn't necessarily say "Zac Mayfield also continues to be a machine behind the kit" as this is his first release with the band and they have had 3 different (yet surprisingly all talented) drummers for all 3 albums.
Somehow didn't catch that. Thanks.
11:03 PM on 09/07/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
True, though Uø is obviously a great band I feel that both O,S and TDWP have matured more as of late and are playing a more fresh sound of modern metalcore than them. In my opinion, Uø climaxed with DTGL though LITSOS was still interesting.
UO will always be my favorite heavy band. Define and LITSOS are perfect.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos