AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 4
Displaying posts 45 - 50 of 50
12:37 AM on 09/12/11
jewdeenee
User Info.
You're funny. To answer your question, no, I didn't. And my rebuttal to your thick-headedness: do you not like any band that has a pop culture reference as a name? Or any band that has a reference to any sort of literature, film, or television? Because if you're trying to be a clever shit about it, you like very few bands. I'm not trying to tell you that the music you like is right or wrong; that's ignorant. But trying to belittle my intelligence? Sorry bud, you're not nearly as clever as you think.
Well you are the only one with a response well thought out, and not just an emoticon like the rest of AbsoluteTurds who we don't speak of. To answer your question. To me, it is in fact truly as unoriginal as it gets when a band takes the name of a movie, show, literature; it shows their lack of creativity and actually a sad cry to gain an audience they thought they couldn't without it. Like if you google Of Mice & Men, obviously the famous book shows up, but so does that scene band...right? Think of some of the greatest bands of all time...Beatles, Queen, Journey.....what if they called themselves Gone with the Wind or The Terminators. Sounds stupid and pathetic right? Right. I have been in this business a long time, and I can say that most bands on Absolutepunk are truly to be forgotten by the masses----but not by those who truly like them. So far those that like Brand New or Escape the Fate, or Ace Enders----may do so, but realize they should have just called themselves Gone With Wind......because that is where they will end up.
12:40 AM on 09/12/11
jewdeenee
User Info.
That seems to the common thing for people to say when everyone hates a perfectly hateable band...
They aren't hate-able, it just gets you scene points if you "pretend" to like them or actually like them. In my humble opinion, I think most people "pretend."
11:33 AM on 09/12/11
drevans18
BLERG
User Info.
Well you are the only one with a response well thought out, and not just an emoticon like the rest of AbsoluteTurds who we don't speak of. To answer your question. To me, it is in fact truly as unoriginal as it gets when a band takes the name of a movie, show, literature; it shows their lack of creativity and actually a sad cry to gain an audience they thought they couldn't without it. Like if you google Of Mice & Men, obviously the famous book shows up, but so does that scene band...right? Think of some of the greatest bands of all time...Beatles, Queen, Journey.....what if they called themselves Gone with the Wind or The Terminators. Sounds stupid and pathetic right? Right. I have been in this business a long time, and I can say that most bands on Absolutepunk are truly to be forgotten by the masses----but not by those who truly like them. So far those that like Brand New or Escape the Fate, or Ace Enders----may do so, but realize they should have just called themselves Gone With Wind......because that is where they will end up.

*EDIT* Sorry about the essay.

First and foremost, I can't defend a lot of people on this website for what they say, because a lot is immature and inappropriate. However, there are certain people on here that definitely don't qualify as an "Absoluteturd".

To music: I understand your quip about band names - a lot of them bother me, seem extremely mindless, or just don't make sense. However, the argument holds true for music through time - i.e., Chicago, Boston, Kansas. It's extremely hard to come up with an original proper noun without committing some sort of worldly, literary, or media piracy (to a very generous definition of the word). So, while I understand where you're coming from, I guess I'd respond by saying there is no objectivity in the rubric for band names. Just as I think Queen, Journey, and The Beatles are relatively dull names that show a general lack of creativity when it comes to a name, you think that literary and media references are just as monotonous.

Now, I fully trust you and believe when you say that you've been in the business a long time to judge whether or not bands will be 'forgotten' (even though, with such an immature first response, I have no reason to believe you... I guess I have too much faith in humanity to say otherwise). I have a question and a statement, and please take both with the understanding that I'm not trying to attack you by any means: who are you to say that The Wonder Years will be forgotten? Just as a nameless, faceless, 'forgotten' band of the 80's impresses upon one listener the feelings of regret, happiness, sadness, understanding, and any other emotions their songs might represent, The Wonder Years do the same to a lot of listeners, especially those who congregate on a site like this. My other response is that the music industry, as you very well know seeing as you've been a part of it for a long time, has changed significantly in the last 20 years. Bands are created from nothing, represent nothing, and create music unwillingly or uninspired, just for the hell of it. Taking bands like Brokencyde, for example, have even said that they don't believe in what they preach. My point being that listening to bands in this 'scene', I certainly will not forget a lot of them. In 20 years, I'll tell my kids I listened to a vastly different genre of music than their mother, and they didn't overlap in the slightest. Go back to the '50s and '60s, even 70's if you'd like, there were really only few types of music. Sure, critique that statement as much as you'd like, but there was no 'post-hardcore', or 'rap', or 'hip-hop', or 'pop-punk'. Extended genres means extended and severely distinct listenership, meaning Drake is completely irrelevant in my life just as The Wonder Years are completely irrelevant in his. So subjectivity looms over your assertion that music will be forgotten on this website. To many, it's all they have and all they believe in. In a lifetime surrounded by social and digital mediums, and one where most physical mediums are slowly being phased out, your understanding of 'forgotten' music seems to be drastically changing. Admittedly, to some, certain mediums are already completely lost (VHS, A track, tape decks, Walkman, and to some, even the radio, things that you and I certainly grew up with but to kids in this new generation, are completely unheard of).

Next time, I wouldn't be so quick to judge. In 20 years, you may be only listening to Brand New and forgetting all about Lil' Wayne and Drake. But then again, so could I.
06:36 PM on 09/12/11
Drown_The_City
A contender now throwing the fight
User Info.
That is by far the most ignorant response I have EVER heard. You have no clue what I listen to. The love for Brand New on this site is disgusting and TRENDY. I never even said I didn't like them.
The love you have for RJA is disgusting. Once they come up with an original concept ill give them another shot
11:34 PM on 01/23/13
Sashka_B
Stay young
User Info.
Yeah, its strange... give drumset to someone who already has it)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos