AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Silent Waits The Archer - Things We See In... Album Cover

Silent Waits The Archer - Things We See In...

Reviewed by
Silent Waits The Archer - Things We See In Dreams
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: March 2, 2011
At first, I didn't know how to feel about Silent Waits The Archer’s debut release, Things We See In Dreams. At times, I would be amazed by the powerful songwriting and atmospheric sound. At other times, I would find the songs starting to blend and the record becoming boring. It took some time trying to come up with some scholarly definition to describe the record. But I finally came to a conclusion using a simple word: awesome.

The four-piece group from Fort Smith, Ark. have created a record that is atmospheric in sound while at the same time being confronting and personal.Things We See In Dreams shows the struggles of life and death.

The guitars create some explosive yet soothing effects. Dakota Howard, the lead vocalist, is able to carry his own and sound honest without sounding forced. The band chooses an identity of their own instead of choosing what’s popular today. These are the basics of why the record in so “awesome.” The band proves to be capable songwriters with the songs ranging from slow and calm (“All Liars In A Lake Of Fire”) to faster and more distorted (“Cults In Black Outfits”). The band even shows their ability in writing catchy lyrics, like on “Attack Ships On Fire” ("When you fall asleep/Do you see anything?/The things I see in dreams/Always come to haunt me").

In fact, the high point of the album is the lyrics. Throughout each song, Howard presents his struggles with alcohol, growing up, love, loneliness, doubt, death and hope. The lyrics shine the most on “Cellar Door,” probably the most personal and powerful song on the entire record. As the guitars serenade the listener, Howard tells of losing a loved one and the questions we all want answered about life and death. It’s rare to see a debut release so mature and introspective in it’s lyrics.

Don’t think this record is perfect, though, because it’s nowhere near it. I could sit here and point out some low points on the album too, like guitars overshadowing other instruments, Howard lacking range at times, songs starting to blend after a while. But then I realized something from the album: It’s alright to make mistakes, as long as you're willing to overcome them. Silent Waits The Archer are just starting out and have a long road ahead of them.

Things We See In Dreams isn’t an easy listen partly because of the mature lyrics and partly because it isn’t for everyone, just as any album is. But once you dive into the songs and really take the time, you’ll realize that Silent Waits The Archer is a band to be taken seriously. Things We See In Dreams is almost like a warning shot of what is to come from this band. Simply awesome.

Recommended If You LikeConsider The Thief; Armor For Sleep; Moving Mountains

myspace.com/silentwaitsthearcher
This review is a user submitted review from CoopDawg. You can see all of CoopDawg's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
09:33 PM on 09/12/11
cwhit412
don't ask
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
RIYL intrigues me a ton.
03:27 PM on 09/16/11
itwasreallycold
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
awesome band!
09:12 PM on 03/14/12
CoopDawg
My sun soaked skin...
User Info.
Listening back on it, I realize that my review and rating don't do near enough justice to show how amazing this album is. Like I said before, it's simply awesome.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos