AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

The Gaslight Anthem News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

The Horrible Crowes At the Bowery Ballroom

Posted by - 11:52 PM on 09/10/11
Head to the replies to watch footage from The Horrible Crowes' September 8th performance at the Bowery Ballroom.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24
11:52 PM on 09/10/11
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.

11:52 PM on 09/10/11
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
Elsie is far from perfect in my opinion, but Brian's vocals are just flooring. What a stud.
01:16 AM on 09/11/11
emerson1892
COWABUNGA
User Info.
Elsie is far from perfect in my opinion, but Brian's vocals are just flooring. What a stud.
Agreed. Blood Loss is my favorite song and I think his vocals on it are fucking incredible!
01:28 AM on 09/11/11
IceAge/HeatWave
Jesus rides beside me
User Info.
Agreed. Blood Loss is my favorite song and I think his vocals on it are fucking incredible!

both of these. this record, if nothing else, definitely shows off his voice. Go Tell Everybody and Blood Loss are both show a lot of dynamic.

despite its flaws, i love the Tom Waits/ the National influence on this album.
04:30 AM on 09/11/11
WetwithSharp
and a little jingle....
User Info.
both of these. this record, if nothing else, definitely shows off his voice. Go Tell Everybody and Blood Loss are both show a lot of dynamic.

despite its flaws, i love the Tom Waits/ the National influence on this album.
What exactly are these flaws you speak of?
04:41 AM on 09/11/11
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
Elsie has no flaws though
05:10 AM on 09/11/11
oneeightytwo
#TGG
User Info.
Really impressed by this album. It's been in my car for a good while now. Good live videos too.
07:46 AM on 09/11/11
Quijiba
User Info.
I would kill to see mary anne played live. Such a bad ass song
08:26 AM on 09/11/11
IceAge/HeatWave
Jesus rides beside me
User Info.
What exactly are these flaws you speak of?
do people really think this album is perfect?

every album has flaws- for starters, there's a bit of a lull in the middle of the album, not because the songs are bad, but i just think it was poor selection to put Cherry Blossoms, Ladykiller, and Crush all in a row when they're sort of clearly the three worst songs on here (not bad songs, just the least impressive). the song Crush is a little corny for someone who is usually such a careful lyricist. also, the constant use of the word "blood" immediately comes to mind in that same vein. (this one doesn't bother me as much) his influences continue to be red-flagingly apparent, and that has always been a non-starter for some listeners i know.

that said, i don't want it to come off as if i'm "bashing" this record. i love it/ brian fallon, and it'll probably wind up being top 10 of the year for me, but i definitely don't think this is a "flawless" album. i give it about an 8/10, and i think brian accomplished his whole "darker side of soul music" thing, which is praise enough.
09:34 AM on 09/11/11
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
User Info.

every album has flaws- for starters, there's a bit of a lull in the middle of the album, not because the songs are bad, but i just think it was poor selection to put Cherry Blossoms, Ladykiller, and Crush all in a row when they're sort of clearly the three worst songs on here (not bad songs, just the least impressive). the song Crush is a little corny for someone who is usually such a careful lyricist. also, the constant use of the word "blood" immediately comes to mind in that same vein. (this one doesn't bother me as much) his influences continue to be red-flagingly apparent, and that has always been a non-starter for some listeners i know.

that said, i don't want it to come off as if i'm "bashing" this record. i love it/ brian fallon, and it'll probably wind up being top 10 of the year for me, but i definitely don't think this is a "flawless" album. i give it about an 8/10, and i think brian accomplished his whole "darker side of soul music" thing, which is praise enough.
really? i think those three tracks are great. far from a lull there.
10:50 AM on 09/11/11
xHoodieWeather
I Just Want To Sell Out My Funeral
User Info.

Ladykiller is one of the best songs on the album, and crush is definitely catchy despite it's simpler lyrics.
Will agree that Cherry blossom is the lowest point on the album though.
10:59 AM on 09/11/11
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Fucking awesome. Elsie is great
12:30 PM on 09/11/11
only the clouds
throw your body on the bad times
User Info.
Hah. My favorite run on the album is "Go Tell Everybody" through "Crush," "Crush" being my favorite track.
12:39 PM on 09/11/11
WetwithSharp
and a little jingle....
User Info.
Ladykiller is one of the best songs on the album, and crush is definitely catchy despite it's simpler lyrics.
Will agree that Cherry blossom is the lowest point on the album though.
I would agree that Cherry blossoms is just a bit too slow. The rest of the tracks I see nothing worth bitching about.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos