AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: On My Honor - 09.05.11

On My Honor - 09.05.11

Interviewed by
On My Honor - 09.05.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

On My Honor

facebook.com/onmyhonor
facebook.com/littleheartrecords
onmyhonorpop@gmail.com

1. How did you get your band name?
DREW: I'm an Eagle Scout, and On My Honor is the opening of the Scout Oath. I remember being in high school, writing it down, and liking how it looked. So, when it came time to find a band name, it just sort of stood out.

2. How did this band get started?
DREW: I met a former member at a show in Atlanta, and through trial and error David, Lucas, and I came together. We started touring quite a bit, had a couple of other members drop, and came to find Trey almost two years ago and Jordan around a year and a half ago.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
DREW: I've always loved bands like Saves The Day, New Found Glory, The Get Up Kids, The Movielife, etc. I think there's an honesty in those bands - musically, lyrically, all across the board - that stands out. I guess I'm influenced by bands that seem sincere, like there's a worth way deeper than face value.

LUCAS: Rufio, Your Favorite Hero, The Starting Line, Hidden in Plainview, Alkaline Trio, Motion City Soundtrack, Jimmy Eat World, The Bouncing Souls, Brand New, Tim Barry. As far as newer bands go, I'm really into a lot of our friends and bands we've played with over the years: Latin For Truth, Still Rings True, Facts of Life, The Story So Far, This Time Next Year, Fireworks, Veara, etc. We played with this band on our last tour called Get A Life from P.A. and I've been listening to them a lot lately. I'm always skipping around to different things.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
DREW: I think it would've been cool to tour with some of the earlier Drive-Thru bands like The Starting Line and Hidden In Plain View. There are a lot of bands I'd like to go out with still -- Caleb Lionheart from NY, Fireworks, New Found Glory. I wish we could've toured with our friends in Paper Monsters when they were still a band, too.
LUCAS: Rufio because I basically learned to play guitar learning their records. Or New Found Glory because it's New Found Glory.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
DREW: Taco Bell.
LUCAS: Anything but Taco Bell.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
DREW: I guess people should listen to us if they like us, haha. It's not for everyone; I get that.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
LUCAS: Kobe Bryant. I used to look up to him when I was a kid and I guess I still kind of do. I'm a big basketball fan. A lot of musicians I meet don't really care too much for sports, but I guess I look for inspiration in odd things. I think it's incredible how much work some people put into what they do. Getting up and training everyday at 6 A.M when you've been making 30 million a year for 14 years? That's true dedication to what you do. I think it's incredible how good some people can be at some things. I think a lot of athletes look at their sport as an art, the same way we look at our music as art. I guess I can see it as art sometimes too.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
DREW: God, Mom and Dad, haha, pretty much anyone I thank in liner notes. Probably Britney Spears, were she in the crowd.
LUCAS: My producer for writing the song for me and my management for starving me for six months so I could be marketable.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
DREW: I get annoyed with what a numbers game it is, especially in terms of social media. I hate seeing bands begging for "likes" on Facebook or retweets. It's irritating how inflated and falsified the whole thing becomes. Buy-ons are also a small thorn in my side. I think it's lame to hear about bands paying to be on a tour, rather than bands with more clout taking out bands they like to actually help them. I think bands should have to build something on their own, rather than buying it.

10. Memorable tour experience?
DREW: Most recently, I'd say Louisville, KY, on the Dirt Nerds tour with Latin For Truth. We played a house show where some of our friends live (627 Brandeis), and shows there are always fun. Trey, LFT, Buddha, our friend Audrey, and I stayed up in the garage talking, shooting bottles and each other with an air gun until morning. Then Audrey took us to a park (Cherokee Park, I think?) for sunrise. We ended up climbing rocks, skinny dipping, rope swinging -- the works. We hit a local diner for breakfast, then slept until 2 PM. It was just a really memorable "summer day" -- one of my favorite tour nights ever. Senior Year.

LUCAS: Most of my most memorable moments are just me by myself driving at night or laying in a field somewhere in some place I've never been. I'm always thinking about dying and the day I die. I always look at stuff and think "When I die I want this moment to be one of the last things I see."

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
DREW: I've been getting news from this site since I was about sixteen, no joke. Haha. So, I'm stoked you guys pay any attention to us at all.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
DREW: I enjoy "Definition" and "The Footholds" live a lot.
LUCAS: "Pencil Lines" and "Door Frames."

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
DREW: Tour feels like vacation when we hit Raleigh, NC, or Pennington Gap, VA, since we have sort of second families there. I can't remember the last time I "vacationed" anywhere, but my family used to take me to Dauphin Island, AL, during spring breaks. That was always cool.
LUCAS: I got go to Sea World last year. My family had never really taken a vacation. I got to see whales so that wins for me.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
DREW: My family listened to a lot of Christian radio when I was younger. I can't remember any of the artists specifically, but a lot of the "How Great Is Our God" songs sort of give me flashbacks. My dad always used to sing a lot of antiquated country tunes, too. There's one he'll still leaves me in voice mails when we're on tour that starts, "once had a hen, had a wooden leg, best ole hen to ever lay an egg..." Stuff like that. And Tina Turner. And that stupid "Christmas Shoes" song.
LUCAS: My dad was a musician and he listens to a lot of classical music. Vivaldi's four seasons was something I heard almost everyday when I ate breakfast.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
DREW: Teleportation, for sheer convenience. Hopefully one day it can be a mode of transportation, rather than a "power" though. I have faith.
LUCAS: We used to play this game in the van when we were bored where we made up stupid super powers. The winners for me were "the ability to turn clouds into concrete" and "the ability to make horses in paintings come alive."

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
DREW: We have a stretch, jumping-jack, pray, huddle routine.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
DREW: As a band, we're pretty big fans of mad libs.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
DREW: I think radio more or less is what it's always been. I don't know if we could ever flourish on radio, but I never expected to hear Mest or Fall Out Boy on there either.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
DREW: I collect records, drink coffee, watch horror movies, bake, play Pokemon, hike abandoned coal mines near our home, go to the lake, shoot guns, host bonfires and dance parties, screen print, and I recently started reading.
LUCAS: I like playing basketball, watching movies, and hanging out with my friends and family.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
DREW: I'm pretty good with a gun. I like to paint too, if that's a talent.
LUCAS: I don't know if I have any, but David is really good at Pokemon and Trey can recite movies pretty much from beginning to end. Drew is also pretty good at backing a trailer. I dunno about Jordan either...

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
07:17 AM on 09/13/11
Gabeasl
Audiostrobelight
User Info.
Love these guys!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles