AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

AP.net Chat: Close Your Eyes/Counterparts

Posted by - 03:01 PM on 09/12/11
EDIT: The chat is now over. Thanks to the guys for playing along. Be sure to pick up their new albums and catch them on tour together in October.

Close Your Eyes and Counterparts will be chatting in this thread at 7 p.m. EST/4 p.m. PST. We are being joined by Brett (BrettCYE) and Tim (timmmyyy) from CYE and Brendan (Brendanmurphy) of Counterparts. Come talk to them about their upcoming albums - both due out October 25 via Victory Records - and anything else you'd like to know.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 236
03:35 PM on 09/12/11
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
User Info.
Questions for Counterparts:

1. How have you guys progressed as musicians since Prophets? What changes can we expect on the new album?

2. What made you decide to do such positive lyrics? They're one of my favorite aspects of your work.

3. What are your influences, both past and current?

4. What else do you all enjoy listening to apart from hardcore or metalcore?

5. Are there any up and coming bands you know of that deserve attention? (apart from yourselves of course )

6. Do any of you use turntable.fm? I'm addicted to that place.

Thanks for answering these guys, I really appreciate it. I'll be the one reviewing your new album, and some of these questions will help me with that. Haley has yet to get the ok to send music out, so I'll just have to hang tight.
04:00 PM on 09/12/11
Roton7
so i herd u liek roton7??
User Info.
Counterparts: I have been listening to Prophets non-stop lately.. what kind of direction did you take the new album? Will there be a new song out anytime soon?
04:01 PM on 09/12/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
For Counterparts,

You guys have played Durham a few times, any local bands from our area you guys are into?
Which bands would you love to tour with?
Any guest vocals on the new album?
04:02 PM on 09/12/11
BrettCYE
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Brendan smells like moose and is sticky from all his maple syrup!
04:02 PM on 09/12/11
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
For the Close Your Eyes dudes, how will the new album compare to the last one? And how was the Scream the Prayer tour?
04:03 PM on 09/12/11
cococrisp20
3Hunna
User Info.
For CYE:
I saw you guys at the Baltimore date on Scream the Prayer and you played some new stuff. It seemed a bit heavier and less clean/melodic than We Will Overcome. How would you describe the record as a whole both musically and lyrically and how is it different from We Will Overcome? I'm dying to hear it, definitely one of my most anticipated this year. Also thanks a lot to Shane for giving me the mic a few times and talking to me after the show.
04:03 PM on 09/12/11
TheCheckerPulse
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
First of all, let me just tell you that Prophets and We Will Overcome are two of the most honest, heartfelt hardcore albums that I've had the pleasure of hearing in the past few years, and after seeing both of your shows live, I have a great deal of respect for the work that you put into your music and the belief you have in your own work. So, without further ado, the questions!

COUNTERPARTS

How has being from Hamilton affected your sound?

What's your favourite song that you've written, lyrically and sonically?

What's the worst part about being a travelling musician, especially in a scene full of insincerity and cheap tricks?

What advice do you have for new bands starting out?

What has it been like to work with Tony Brummell and Victory Records? What attracted you to that label?

CLOSE YOUR EYES

I saw you guys in Windsor last year with Stick To Your Guns on the Faith In The Untamed Tour, and you were amazing. What I remember most vividly, though, is your camaraderie with the rest of the bands, and slamming through the crowd and moshing like you didn't have a care in the world. How do you get out there and do that every day?

What was the inspiration behind the songs on your debut? Specifically, "Song For The Broken" and "Digging Graves"?

Who is the most talented unsigned band you know?

Are there any causes that you are passionate about that you wish you had more time / resources to promote?

What's the worst tour story you've encountered?

Thanks guys!
- TCP
04:05 PM on 09/12/11
DanielColato
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
For Close Your Eyes.

When do you plan to release a new song? How many will you release before the album drops?

Lyrically what is this album about?

Instrumentally, what does it sound like?

What are some differences between recording We Will Overcome, and recording Empty Hands and Heavy Hearts?

When will you play South California?
04:05 PM on 09/12/11
BrettCYE
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Alex: The album is a progression from the last album I believe. It is slightly darker...kinda of delving into the depression and disparity that sometimes happens in the human condition. And then looking at the slimmers of hope that we still have and grab onto them. As far as musically it is a little fast I think...and has more of a punk rock aggression than the last one.

Scream the prayer was great! We made a lot of good friends on that tour! And it was great getting to hang out with some old friends.
04:06 PM on 09/12/11
brendanmurphy
User Info.
1. How have you guys progressed as musicians since Prophets? What changes can we expect on the new album?

I think the main thing that will set Prophets and TCWCU apart is the fact that TCWCU is just a more mature record. We wrote Prophets when we were young, dumb, and didn't really know what we were going for exactly. With the new record, we "found our sound" I guess you could say. I wouldn't expect any drastic changes. It's still a Counterparts record. I describe the album as a more aggressive, raw, and honest album as opposed to Prophets. Hopefully everyone feels the same!

2. What made you decide to do such positive lyrics? They're one of my favorite aspects of your work.

Here's where it gets tricky. When I wrote the lyrics to Prophets, I was happier than I am now. The new record, especially lyrically, is a lot more realistic. I'm not saying that the lyrics are over negative by any means, but TCWCU is a better representation of how I really feel about myself, others, and the world around me. One of the main messages behind Counterparts is that the world fucking sucks, people suck, and you're probably going to have a hard life, but that doesn't mean you have to give up. No one has to be content with the bullshit that they're fed day in and day out. You ALWAYS have the power to change, and to point yourself to where you want to be. We all have the power to shape our own future, it's just a matter of actually getting off your ass and doing it.

3. What are your influences, both past and current?

Musically, I know the guys are heavily influenced by bands like Saints Never Surrender, Shai Hulud, A Textbook Tragedy, Comeback Kid, and melodic yet heavy bands. Personally, as a vocalist, I just try to sound like Sean Murphy from Verse and if I can pull it off, I'm happy! haha.

4. What else do you all enjoy listening to apart from hardcore or metalcore?

We all enjoy listening to pop punk, emo, and post-hardcore. The music we listen to varies. Some of us will be listening to black metal and grindcore, while others are listening to rap, and I'm listening to Lady Gaga all in the same room. It's weird. But it's what influences us to be the band we are.

5. Are there any up and coming bands you know of that deserve attention? (apart from yourselves of course )

So many. We have a habit of posting more about other bands than us on our Facebook. We always try to help out friends and get people to check out bands we like. Some bands we've posted about on FB: Daylight, Turnover, Daytrader, Seven Sisters of Sleep, Foundation, Ages, Hundredth, Longshot, Exalt, Transit, The Story So Far, Crucified, Prophets, Rebuild and a bunch of others I can't remember right now.

6. Do any of you use turntable.fm? I'm addicted to that place.

No idea what that is! I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for answering these guys, I really appreciate it. I'll be the one reviewing your new album, and some of these questions will help me with that. Haley has yet to get the ok to send music out, so I'll just have to hang tight.

Please don't be mean. I might kill myself.
04:07 PM on 09/12/11
timmmyyy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hey Coco,

There's still going to be a lot of melody and singing on the new record. Musically, the overall pace is faster, there's a lot upbeat punk beats on it, but there's still the heavy parts, the sing along parts, and stuff like that too. Lyrically it differs in that it's definitely a darker record. Lyrically the themes are centered around a lot of firsthand struggles that Shane dealt with in the last few years, and so there's a few songs that are pretty personal. It's not all gloomy though, there are glimmers of hope and the record ends on a very positive note.
04:09 PM on 09/12/11
thecrowing33
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
For Close Your Eyes,

Can you give us a description on the meaning behind the album artwork and the name?
04:09 PM on 09/12/11
iaminsane20
SUNY Cortland '15
User Info.
For Counterparts:

What was the inspiration behind You Think You're John Fucking Locke?

For Close Your Eyes:

What's it like being a Christian band in a scene that often promotes negativity?

For both bands:

A split in the future?
04:10 PM on 09/12/11
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Oh yes, a split would be awesome. Have you guys played together in the past?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos