Password

Album Review

Cerebral Ballzy - Cerebral Ballzy Album Cover

Cerebral Ballzy - Cerebral Ballzy

Reviewed by
Cerebral Ballzy - Cerebral Ballzy
Record Label: Williams Street
Release Date: July 26, 2011
I should start by saying I was a late bloomer to the punk/hardcore scene of the 80's. That being said, it is now one of my favorite time periods for music. Black Flag is and will be one of my favorite bands for years to come, as will Minor Threat, and even lesser known bands such as MDC and Jerry's Kids. The sound made by bands such as these in the 80's hasn't been duplicated very often, if at all in recent years. Polished sounds are more and more common in the scene today. With clear vocals, mathy guitar licks, and an onslaught of poor lyrics about being bitter over some girl becoming the norm, this music really has become a thing of the past.

Enter Cerebral Ballzy. I, like a lot of people I'm assuming, first heard of this band watching Adult Swim [see the band's record label]. My first thought was, "Whoa, what is this?" This was soon followed by "Why is this on Adult Swim?" Then of course "Why the fuck is Family Guy on for three hours!?" Something started to rub me the wrong way about the band. This kind of music certainly strays away from the mainstream, and while I haven't really seen it, I'm betting this band gets a lot of flack from elitists. Regardless, I totally slept on this band because something just seemed off about it. Boy, am I a jackass.

The debut album from Cerebral Ballzy is loud, blazing fast, angsty, and catchy all while keeping true to the gritty distorted sound of 80's punk/hardcore. During the very first track, I found myself wanting nothing more than to thrash about in a crowded room with all of my sweaty friends. The vocals are snotty, the songs are short, and the music is driving; pulsating at times. The way it should be. Every track is a party and you have no choice but to attend.

The track "Drug Myself Dumb" blisters along, clocking in at 1:19. The track is a favorite of mine, musically, reminding me of early Minor Threat, which is crazy to think in 2011. Another standout track, "Cutting Class," is a nostalgic ode to skipping out on school and rummaging around the New York streets, "Today's the day to let loose / Tomorrows the day for the excuse." Frontman Honor Titus' vocals are especially strong on this song as he yells the tracks title in a biting yet harmonious way.

Cerebral Ballzy's self-titled debut is one hell of a lightning fast fun ride. That's not to say it should be any longer. The music is meant to be fast. Cerebral Ballzy did everything right in my eyes. The anger isn't deeply rooted, it is pure teenage angst, and that is fine. Cerebral Ballzy is New York's bastard son, with rat's eyes, a crooked shit-eating grin, a party hat, and a skateboard. Any fan of the 80's punk/hardcore scene should at least give this a try, it's impossible to hate.

Recommended If You LikeCeremony's Rohnert Park LP, Black Flag's Damaged LP

http://cerebralballzy.com/
This review is a user submitted review from Dumpweed. You can see all of Dumpweed's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 51
04:30 PM on 09/17/11
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
User Info.
I find this band name a little insensitive because I actually have cerebral palsy. Maybe bands should pass up on making puns about diseases.
07:55 PM on 09/17/11
JamieTheSonger
05 Fuck Em
User Info.
So badass.
11:58 PM on 09/17/11
Gfunk1221
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I find this band name a little insensitive because I actually have cerebral palsy. Maybe bands should pass up on making puns about diseases.
whats the point?
12:10 AM on 09/18/11
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
Their name was clever enough to spark my interest.
06:01 AM on 09/18/11
WeWereGiants
Cold hands, Lips blue
User Info.

I don't have cerebral palsy but I agree with you 100%, but then again what can you do? It's 'punk rock'.

I don't think I will ever get into this band because of their name, even though what I've heard seems ok.
07:18 AM on 09/18/11
trolland10
Listen to Limbeck
User Info.
I don't have cerebral palsy but I agree with you 100%, but then again what can you do? It's 'punk rock'.

I don't think I will ever get into this band because of their name, even though what I've heard seems ok.
its stupid to get on a high horse about a hardcore punk band, just stop letting meaningless things like a band name offend you. band is kick ass though
08:48 AM on 09/18/11
Gwytherspoon
User Info.
It's just a name... I know someone with cerebral palsy who thought their name was hilarious.
08:59 AM on 09/18/11
Rodeo
User Info.
It's just a name... I know someone with cerebral palsy who thought their name was hilarious.

Me too.

Getting hurt over a punk-rock band name is like getting riled up over a joke at a roast.

That being said, although I love this record/band, 8.25 is way too high for "Creativity" LOL
10:02 AM on 09/18/11
WeWereGiants
Cold hands, Lips blue
User Info.
its stupid to get on a high horse about a hardcore punk band, just stop letting meaningless things like a band name offend you. band is kick ass though

I'm not on a high horse, it's just like if I mention Cerebral Ballzy to people who actually know or are related to people with the condition I'll feel bad, that's all.

I'm gonna give this band a chance though, this review is pretty good.
12:02 PM on 09/18/11
Dumpweed
Do you like my party tricks?
User Info.

That being said, although I love this record/band, 8.25 is way too high for "Creativity" LOL

I think the band is very creative. Sure, you can say the sound is "old" but hearing it today with modernized lyrics is neat. The lyrics themselves are more often creative than not. There aren't songs about breakups and depression. The songs are pretty much about shit the band gets into after shows, after they play these songs at the shows. Writing songs about underage drinking, skateboarding all day, and cutting class may be juvenile, but I haven't heard another modern day band like them. Like one of their band members said in an interview, "We aren't reinventing the wheel, but we're spinning it really fuckin' fast."
03:43 PM on 09/18/11
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
User Info.
You've got to be kidding me. Some of the users on this site...

Getting hurt over a punk-rock band name is like getting riled up over a joke at a roast.
"Getting hurt"? Please. I just thought it was a little insensitive. You underestimate my pride. In the immortal words of Jade Curtiss of Tales of the Abyss, my pride is "none so cheap as to be shaken by something as petty as this, sir".

And you're seriously going to put making insensitive jokes about birth defects which the inflicted have no control over on the same level as some cheap comedy show where people make bad jokes about celebrity hacks who chose to screw up their lives? I really can't believe the idiocy levels of some of the people on this site.
05:21 PM on 09/18/11
downrightamazed
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"Any fan of the 80's punk/hardcore scene should at least give this a try, it's impossible to hate."

Really? Yeah, "hate" is a strong word, but anyone who's actually into 80's punk/hardcore bands should surely see that this band isn't even quality enough to be decent genre fodder. They exist outside of anything hardcore/punk and their gimmick is that they're a punk band being just that. They just lack any substance - simple as that. Now, as i just stated, genre fodder is great if you're into the genre, but CB just falls way below the bar. To me, they're almost just a very streamlined version of thrash revival like Municipal Waste and Gama Bomb

Speaking of utilizing namedropping - Run if their manager ever hits you up; he'll bust out the 20 minute speech on why CB is the perfect band in present time. It's funny, because it's word for word the same every single time.
05:35 PM on 09/18/11
Rodeo
User Info.
You've got to be kidding me. Some of the users on this site...

"Getting hurt"? Please. I just thought it was a little insensitive. You underestimate my pride. In the immortal words of Jade Curtiss of Tales of the Abyss, my pride is "none so cheap as to be shaken by something as petty as this, sir".

And you're seriously going to put making insensitive jokes about birth defects which the inflicted have no control over on the same level as some cheap comedy show where people make bad jokes about celebrity hacks who chose to screw up their lives? I really can't believe the idiocy levels of some of the people on this site.

If I was talking to you... I would have quoted you. I know what you said... and that's why what I said was not in ANY WAY directed at YOU.
05:40 PM on 09/18/11
GlassyLight
King of Wrangling
User Info.
Without passing judgment one way or the other, how is saying "Cerebral Ballzy" a joke at the expense of people with CP?

Album fucking RIPS, though.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version