AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

08:18 PM on 09/13/11 
User Info.
theyperch
TSOCKF
Male - 20 Years Old
Hi everyone, I'm not that well known on the forums, but I do post here and there.

I'm actually a student leader for an organization called Amnesty International. Most of you have probably heard the name, but basically, Amnesty is one of the most well known and globally recognized human rights organizations.

I'm here to ask you to sign a petition. This petition is going out for a man named Troy Davis, who is sentenced to be executed on September 21, 2011. 20 years ago, he was convicted of killing a white police officer in the state of Georgia. Since then, seven of the nine witnesses have either retracted or recanted their statements, claiming that police officers pressured and coerced them into signing statements against Davis. In addition, no physical evidence was ever found, leaving Davis' case on extremely shaky ground.

I'm not here to debate whether the death penalty is ethical, I don't want to argue whether he is guilty or not. All I want is for him is to receive justice. Is that too much to ask for?

http://www.change.org/petitions/7-of...tion-on-sep-21

If you're interested in how else you can help, let me know, and I will get try to get you in contact with your local Amnesty International USA leader. Rallies are happening all over the United States, and we are hoping to get enough attention to prevent this execution.

EDIT/UPDATE:
Hey, thanks to everyone who's signed. We've still got a week to save this man's life. Here's a message that Amnesty received from him. Its addressed to Seattle, because I work in the Seattle area.

"I want to personally thank each and every one of you in Seattle. You lift my spirits everyday single day. When I wake up and feel helpless, I thank God there are people like you taking on My Cause. I am asking you to do this for me on September 16th, raise your voice LOUD because I cannot. Raise your voice so VERY LOUD that you are heard all the way here to Georgia. I've done enough time for someone else's crime, I'm ready to be a free man. Raise your voice for me, for my freedom. Thank you so very much and God Bless You."

I also want you to know that Troy is in a very good place. He is calm and peaceful. He still has his sense of humor and is sleeping well at night. Unfortunately, 90% of his "usual" DR rights have been taken away now that he is in the medical ward on 24/7 surveillance. I mail him TONS of perfume samples from magazines so that he can smell something nice, something other than stale prison air. He told me that on monday he received my 30 samples as usual (the mens cologne samples he uses for himself, he loves that), and he was told by the guards that he could smell the samples right then and there and then had to throw them in the garbage. (He said he took a loooong time smelling them.) They wont even give him the simple pleasure of smelling something pleasant right now...
08:19 PM on 09/13/11 
User Info.
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
Male - 23 Years Old
Staff Member
Everyone do what this man says.

or face the hammer of doom

jk. But seriously, everyone do what this man says.
08:21 PM on 09/13/11 
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 22 Years Old
I'm on the change.org mailing list (thank you, thank you), so I already did this. Hopefully enough people sign.
08:23 PM on 09/13/11 
User Info.
williek311
Richmond, VA
Male - 28 Years Old
Hopefully this gets stopped.
08:26 PM on 09/13/11 
User Info.
theyperch
TSOCKF
Male - 20 Years Old
Thanks for the replies so far, in addition, Amnesty International has its own action that its doing that you can sign really quickly as well:

http://takeaction.amnestyusa.org/sit...5049&aid=12970
08:29 PM on 09/13/11 
User Info.
Mitch
this is water
Jamaica Plain, MA
Male - 25 Years Old
Thank you for posting this. Signed.
08:30 PM on 09/13/11 
User Info.
CheckeredFloors
nah
Male - 21 Years Old
The fuck? Doesn't it have to be proved to be beyond doubt that he did it before he gets sentenced let alone killed?
User Info.
theyperch
TSOCKF
Male - 20 Years Old
The fuck? Doesn't it have to be proved to be beyond doubt that he did it before he gets sentenced let alone killed?

If only our justice system was perfect.
User Info.
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
Minneapolis, MN
Male - 22 Years Old
Welcome to America.
08:31 PM on 09/13/11 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
It's kind of astonishing how many people are wrongly convicted. Law school is very disheartening sometimes.
08:34 PM on 09/13/11 
User Info.
theyperch
TSOCKF
Male - 20 Years Old
It's kind of astonishing how many people are wrongly convicted. Law school is very disheartening sometimes.

Indeed, its really sad how many innocent people are put to death, because you can't take that back.
08:36 PM on 09/13/11 
User Info.
kemichels
I drove through ghosts to get here.
Brooklyn, NY
Male - 28 Years Old
I work for the Public Defender's office here in Minneapolis, so I sure understand where you're coming from with this one. Signed.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

You are in le law school?! Didn't even know.
08:45 PM on 09/13/11 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
I work for the Public Defender's office here in Minneapolis, so I sure understand where you're coming from with this one. Signed.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

You are in le law school?! Didn't even know.
Yessiry bob. Second year. And I'm taking Crim Pro, so we read case after case about people getting screwed over by the police.
08:46 PM on 09/13/11 
User Info.
kemichels
I drove through ghosts to get here.
Brooklyn, NY
Male - 28 Years Old
Yessiry bob. Second year. And I'm taking Crim Pro, so we read case after case about people getting screwed over by the police.

Hah. Same, lol. Just getting through CI's and all that jazz right now. My opinion of the police has substantially changed since working at the PD's office, as well. What school are you at?
08:51 PM on 09/13/11 
User Info.
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
Cleveland/Upstate NY
Female - 25 Years Old
Hah. Same, lol. Just getting through CI's and all that jazz right now. My opinion of the police has substantially changed since working at the PD's office, as well. What school are you at?
I didn't know you were in law school either! I go to Case Western. Where do you go?

And yeah, I'm working at a firm. We do a lot of Con law, but one of the attorneys does a lot of criminal work. Half of his clients are truly stupid (writing a book about how to be a criminal?!?! Really?!) and then some of them just seem to be continually screwed over and you really feel bad. And so many unlawful searches.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos