Username
Password
General Announcement News - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 91.
03:13 PM on 09/15/11
Liciakasher
This is where the fish lives
User Info.
Let's, for a moment, pretend that instead of a popular pop "punk" band, this were the Westboro Baptist Church..would those of you that are defending the cause still defend it?

Freedom of speech is vital to both our scene and our society as a whole. It's important that we can express how and what we feel, BUT there's absolutely no reason to take an extreme route that you know could possibly offend the people who support your band. Not to mention, how do you think it makes the Canadian government look if they don't ask for the money back, especially with how big its Christian population is. In the interestof impartiality and fairness, you can't fund something like that.

This is not an assault on free speech pr anyones right, so it's quite unfair for the band to take that stance - especially when you consider what's happening in places like Syria. It's simply the government trying to avoid any trouble amongst their religious population. You'd do the same if you have invested in something that turned out to be not what you'd expected and threatened to damage the public opinion of your organization.
03:25 PM on 09/15/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
I still find it strange when people complain about what others choose to give money to ... in the US we're being forced to "donate" money to a variety of causes I, personally, disagree with. Buying bombs and ammunition with tax money, for example. I get when people complain about that. I don't get when people get upset about voluntary donations. Their money. Their choice.
03:34 PM on 09/15/11
Liciakasher
User Info.
I still find it strange when people complain about what others choose to give money to ... in the US we're being forced to "donate" money to a variety of causes I, personally, disagree with. Buying bombs and ammunition with tax money, for example. I get when people complain about that. I don't get when people get upset about voluntary donations. Their money. Their choice.
It's not people donating, it's bands begging and almost expecting it. There's $60 million dollars in damage to parts of Pennsylvania right now due to flooding, and this band wants money to get out of a situation they put themselves in. It's just selfish. Whatever happened to musicians working for what they have?
03:34 PM on 09/15/11
koryoreo
Fuck You Seattle
User Info.
People need to stop getting so butthurt. People that actually give a shit about the band will donate money (I personally will be buying some merch from them on their upcoming tour with Broadway Calls as well as donating) and people who don't like the band won't. It's not like they are forcing anyone to do anything that they don't want to do.
03:38 PM on 09/15/11
koryoreo
Fuck You Seattle
User Info.
It's not people donating, it's bands begging and almost expecting it. There's $60 million dollars in damage to parts of Pennsylvania right now due to flooding, and this band wants money to get out of a situation they put themselves in. It's just selfish. Whatever happened to musicians working for what they have?
The floods in Pennsylvania have nothing to do with this. I can list 10,000 different things that need more money put towards them yet our government fucking wastes it on weapons and wars. They are a smaller struggling band that has worked hard what they have achieved. It's not like this is some band that is headlining tours and selling out 2000 capacity venues. It's not selfish because I doubt they are expecting that much support, but it's worth a shot. They are just asking for some help from devoted fans of the band that aren't ignorant as fuck like yourself.
03:39 PM on 09/15/11
Jason Tate
User Info.
Ok, I don't understand why people care if a band is begging or not. So? Same logic as my above post applies. People can spend their money however they want. If they have a connection with a band and want to support them in that way - fine by me. I'm not going to complain how someone else spends their money. Their prerogative to spend it however they want, even if it's not what I would do. People have the right to be selfish.

As for "there are other things money should be spent on" -- yeah, I agree. And $60 million went "missing" from the Iraq war. I'd rather that money not have just "vanished" and the people of Pennsylvania could use it for damages. Also not my call though. I'm not in any position to start making claims what "deserves" someone else's money and what doesn't. Not my money, not my decision. I don't want people making calls on what I spend my money on, so I'm not going to make calls on what they do.

Musicans have, by and large, always been in debt to someone. That's the nature of the industry.
03:44 PM on 09/15/11
Liciakasher
User Info.
The floods in Pennsylvania have nothing to do with this. I can list 10,000 different things that need more money put towards them yet our government fucking wastes it on weapons and wars. They are a smaller struggling band that has worked hard what they have achieved. It's not like this is some band that is headlining tours and selling out 2000 capacity venues. It's not selfish because I doubt they are expecting that much support, but it's worth a shot. They are just asking for some help from devoted fans of the band that aren't ignorant as fuck like yourself.
Bands struggle! it's part of being small! I've seen bands with 10x the talent of the band in question fold because of monetary issues. Was I supposed to give them money on top of what I spent on merch and paying their guarantees? Look, if their van got stolen, or the practice space burned down, or something that no one could control I wouldn't care...but they got themselves into this mess. The fans shouldn't have to pay for it.
03:45 PM on 09/15/11
spiffa0
I am the Third Revelation
User Info.
It's actually a transaction between two willing parties.
03:50 PM on 09/15/11
koryoreo
Fuck You Seattle
User Info.
Bands struggle! it's part of being small! I've seen bands with 10x the talent of the band in question fold because of monetary issues. Was I supposed to give them money on top of what I spent on merch and paying their guarantees? Look, if their van got stolen, or the practice space burned down, or something that no one could control I wouldn't care...but they got themselves into this mess. The fans shouldn't have to pay for it.
I'm sure they expected to have to pay $13,000 dollars back and just did it for shits and giggles. That sounds about right. Why are you so pissed anyways? You aren't going to be giving any money to them, so why do you care so much? They obviously knew their would be people on the internet that would shit on them because of this mess and they still don't give a fuck about those people. I like it when a band has a mind of their own and I will always support independent music. Just because you don't like the band, doesn't mean you have to go shitting on other people for giving them money.
03:53 PM on 09/15/11
theotheryabs
There's a Melody in Everything
User Info.
03:54 PM on 09/15/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Fans don't have to pay for anything. It is entirely up to them, and it does come with something in return. I like the fact that they are taking this stance, a lot of Canadian artists benefit from FACTOR but what's the point if it censors the art they are making?

Exactly. I think it's sad we gave Abandon All Ships $20 000 to do this and Living With Lions doesn't get to keep any of their funding because of this mess. Too many people (who would never think of buying a LWL record anyway) took this way too seriously. The album artwork is just a dumb joke, not an attention grabber.
03:55 PM on 09/15/11
Liciakasher
User Info.
I'm sure they expected to have to pay $13,000 dollars back and just did it for shits and giggles. That sounds about right. Why are you so pissed anyways? You aren't going to be giving any money to them, so why do you care so much? They obviously knew their would be people on the internet that would shit on them because of this mess and they still don't give a fuck about those people. I like it when a band has a mind of their own and I will always support independent music. Just because you don't like the band, doesn't mean you have to go shitting on other people for giving them money.
They offered it to the government. Did you not read that big paragrah at the begining of the thread? I have no negative feelings toward LWL. They're just another band and in two years they'll be just another memory. i just like debating, and I find it interesting how heated people get when faced with an opposing viewpoint..instead of, y'know, talking like the adults that we are.
03:58 PM on 09/15/11
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
I don't agree with what they did. I don't think it's cool to bash other people's beliefs. If you're not religious, that's fine, but just keep quiet.

Woah, what an offensive piece of art. AND they said 'The Poo Testament?' Ooooooh, hide the children!
04:01 PM on 09/15/11
eriatarka24
=^.^=
User Info.
They called the album "Holy Shit" for precisely "shits & giggles", so this is how it ended up.
04:09 PM on 09/15/11
theotheryabs
There's a Melody in Everything
User Info.
They got themselves into this? They made a joke that people took too seriously, doesn't mean it was there fault. If they had funded the album themselves, people would still freak out at them over this
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS