AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Video Games News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Games Round-Up (09/19/11)

Posted by - 09:10 AM on 09/19/11
This week's Games Round-Up can be seen in the replies. Also, we are looking for additional help with this round-up. Want to volunteer?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
09:10 AM on 09/19/11
Linda Ferreira
The Retired Maillady
User Info.
Thanks to Viva Sonata for putting this together:

Games Round-UpMore big announcements AND Tokyo Game Show? Goddamned kids and their big fancy screens and their tiny phones. Anyway, trying something new this week that will hopefully spark discussion.

TOPIC OF THE WEEK: PS VITA VS. 3DS

- Sony's new handheld console, Vita, is arriving soon, and anticipation built with huge announcements at the Tokyo Game Show this week. With a whole bunch of big-named developers like Square Enix, Naughty Dog, and Koei onboard to release titles, it seems that the Vita proves to have a strong launch and holiday season. But that might come with a snag or two.

The recent release of the 3DS, along with the huge uproar and price cut, has led to the conclusion that people don't want to drop bank on handheld consoles anymore, especially in a world full of iPhones and Androids. And even when they do get it, how much will games cost along side it? That's $299 for the console, and $40 more for a game, keep in mind. Don't forget memory cards!Shit's wicked steep.

- Nintendo had a huge press conference of its own pertaining to its new handheld. 3DS owners now have access to the 3DS eShop, with over 1,200 titles expected by the end of this week. Also, franchises such as Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus are getting new titles, along with an add-on that gives the game a second analog stick. Check out a full rundown here.

With the best yet to come for the 3DS, and the Vita coming soon, who won this time - Sony or Nintendo? Will you pick up a Vita? Will its flash and lineup be enough for you to buy it? Let the debate begin!

NEWS

- Check out a run down of this year's Tokyo Game show here.

- Sony's Japanese release of the Playstation Vita will be on December 17th, with 26 launch titles to go with it.

- Make a successful video game? Get a tax break.

- Max Payne 3's first trailer is up. Take a look and, if you're me, get excited. The game's expected to drop March 2012.

- Dragon Age II's new DLC will star...Felicia Day. Umm.... alright! Cool? I guess?

- Nintendo continues to talk big about Skyward Sword, saying that its gameplay will make it last up to 100 hours.

- PC gamers should check this out - a Game Boy-inspired Super Smash Bros. 'demake,' free for download.

Contributors:
Viva Sonata

sources: eurogamer, recombu, gamasutra, NYTimes, 1UP, nintendolife, rockstargames, joystiq, kotaku, reddit, computerandvideogames
10:02 AM on 09/19/11
StepsInADance
taeyeonlogic.tumblr.com
User Info.
About time we got a new fire emblem game.
10:02 AM on 09/19/11
AdamChildress
Wondrous Oblivion.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
PS Vita...I'm definitely picking it up =)
10:18 AM on 09/19/11
Kozzy333
sad canadian cook
User Info.
Handheld gaming consoles are dead. I bet PSVita bombs
10:49 AM on 09/19/11
randys950
@randys950
User Info.
Handheld gaming consoles are dead. I bet PSVita bombs

The vita to succeed will need to be twice as powerful as the iphone, and need to be about twice as cheap...and have a strong line of 1st party developers
11:07 AM on 09/19/11
mkohler
No family is safe when I sashay.
User Info.
Really excited for Max Payne and Skyward Sword.
11:18 AM on 09/19/11
Viva Sonata
gooberplex.tumblr.com
User Info.
The vita to succeed will need to be twice as powerful as the iphone, and need to be about twice as cheap...and have a strong line of 1st party developers
To be fair, the Vita can do a lot - it's region-free, can connect to any playstation 3, among a bunch of other cool bells and whistles. But still, you're right. It's not cheap enough, even with its lineup. It's getting a bunch of strong launch titles.
11:26 AM on 09/19/11
gsmartin
I'm very sure about this.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I feel like people need this: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/editorial/26727

Things have changed, we all know that, but it doesn't mean that handhelds are dead.
12:01 PM on 09/19/11
theintention
It's like Meow-Schwitz in here.
User Info.
Skyrim. The only game I truly care about this holiday season.
12:08 PM on 09/19/11
stonecoldfox
You can't afford to live like this
User Info.
I just want Skyrim, Uncharted, and Assassin's Creed right now!
01:14 PM on 09/19/11
Roton7
so i herd u liek roton7??
User Info.
Vita sounds nice, but it will not do well. Kinda like the PSP. Yeah.
01:26 PM on 09/19/11
Greg.Kushlan
Ghostbusting makes me feel good
User Info.
About time we got a new fire emblem game.
I hope it comes out here, the last game was supposed to be a rwo parter andwe didn't get part II here.
01:39 PM on 09/19/11
WTG
Former Two-Time APWP Champion
User Info.
- Dragon Age II's new DLC will star...Felicia Day. Umm.... alright! Cool? I guess?

Hey now, don't you be questioning the greatness of Felicia. She is amazing, and she is starring in a Dragon Age web TV show that will be coming out.
12:54 AM on 09/20/11
FrankenSteiner
User Info.
Well I-phones don't have PS3 quality graphics in a handheld format. Just looking and UMvC3 you can see it's on par with the console version. Which in itself for a fighter is good looking. Also SFxTekken is looking great as well. Sony is going in on this one.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos