Username
Password
General Announcement News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
General Announcement
Inside AP.net

Abel Launch Kickstarter

Posted by: Matthew Tsai (09/20/11)
Abel (Come&Live! Records) have launched a kickstarter to raise the funds to record their next full-length in January. As of today, the band has already reached 10% of their goal. They are comparable to the likes of As Tall As Lions and Brand New; you can read a review of their latest album Lesser Men here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
11:45 AM on 09/20/11
TheSkyline
www.pillowtalktn.bandcamp .com
User Info.
Support this band, they exist for a great cause and above all make awesome music.
11:47 AM on 09/20/11
Spencer Control
Will you catch me if I blow away?
User Info.
The gang vocal reward is pretty sweet. Solid band.
12:17 PM on 09/20/11
SkateFirm21
on the brightside, she could choke.
User Info.
really nice dudes.
02:40 PM on 09/20/11
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Support this band, they exist for a great cause and above all make awesome music.

So true. I love this band. I haven't stopped listening to Lesser Men. It's been on a regular rotation for me since its release last year.
02:43 PM on 09/20/11
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Also, keep in mind that everything released on Come&Live! Records is released for free/pay-what-you-want/pay-with-a-tweet option. It's all donation-based, and C&L is a non-profit label, so it's difficult for these bands to get the appropriate funds for recording, since there is no profit for them in regards to releasing music. Just thought I'd make some incentive for those willing to donate.
04:22 PM on 09/20/11
Davey_Owens
User Info.
Also, keep in mind that everything released on Come&Live! Records is released for free/pay-what-you-want/pay-with-a-tweet option. It's all donation-based, and C&L is a non-profit label, so it's difficult for these bands to get the appropriate funds for recording, since there is no profit for them in regards to releasing music. Just thought I'd make some incentive for those willing to donate.
Can you explain to me the purpose of the label, then? I've always looked at labels as bank loans, basically. Without the financial backing, what are they doing? Publicity? Wouldn't that just be like an independent publicity company, then?
04:37 PM on 09/20/11
june182
User Info.
I have never listened to them before, but I'm digging them!
04:58 PM on 09/20/11
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Can you explain to me the purpose of the label, then? I've always looked at labels as bank loans, basically. Without the financial backing, what are they doing? Publicity? Wouldn't that just be like an independent publicity company, then?

It's not really a "label" so much as it is a ministry. Come&Live! is a 501c(3) organization, so it's not-for-profit. Any money that is obtained through donations, merch sales, media, etc. is all used towards helping fund the bands' recording, touring, and booking, as well as basic operations for the ministry headquarters in Nashville, TN. The idea behind this model is so the bands can use their music as a gift, instead of a product to turn a profit.
06:56 PM on 09/20/11
dogsizedbirdIII
ap.net legend est. 2008
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This shit is so fucking stupid, has gone on for long enough needs to end now. A label of this size, call it a ministry if you want, it's a label, should not exist if they're not fronting the band the money for recording & mass production of their CDs. Get that shit out of here. And then set up a Kickstarter to fund the album? PLEASE come the fuck on. Does no one else see how this is madness? The band should be able to exist on it's own through the support of the label and at least release an album without relying ONE HUNDRED PERCENT on a fanbase to make the band's music happen. What if they never reach their goal? Would the label put the record out/fund to record it then? We as a music community should be boycotting this kind of greed and sense of entitlement that has no place in independent music. Don't ask the music buying public for a fucking bailout you shitstain excuse for a music establishment. Come&Beg! is more like it.

There is a process in music similar to natural selection where good bands flourish because they are good and people supoort them and then fake label organizations like Come and Live, come and take, and come and ask for more, and use religion as an association with ART and MUSIC where it has no place as a marketing point, which is BULLSHIT. And if I were Christian I would be offended. But coming and begging for change to put out records interferes with the natural process where good bands find ways to DO IT THEMSELVES and put out records, and the bad musicians and bands who don't care enough as they should, don't get to put out records. Like our friends "Abel"

Giving music away as a gift and then neglecting a physical product entirely in some cases is contributing to the decay of the industry in one way or another, not placing ANY value on the music, or asking for anything for it, and then that give people the idea that music should be free. I'm all for try before you buy / downloading, and then buying at a later point if it's an enjoyable record. You should just accept the fact that some one is going to put your release on the internet for free anyway, and anyone can get it in thousands of different places. You're not doing anyone any favors, Music fans, not passive flavor of the week single track downloaders, but music fans, are usually not opposed to BUYING something if it has WORTH. That means they feel they are getting a superior product than what they are paying for. Sometimes this means offering a deluxe packaged cd for 11 or 12 dollars, but fuck, you will sell a hell of a lot more CDs than a mediocre jewel case 6 page booklet CD that is just completely disposable and not even worth 11 or 12 dollars to most music fans.
10:11 PM on 09/20/11
Ghostpsalm
Really Impressive Title
User Info.
This shit is so fucking stupid, has gone on for long enough needs to end now...

But seriously, how do you feel about this?
01:29 AM on 09/21/11
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
This shit is so fucking stupid, has gone on for long enough needs to end now. A label of this size, call it a ministry if you want, it's a label, should not exist if they're not fronting the band the money for recording & mass production of their CDs. Get that shit out of here. And then set up a Kickstarter to fund the album? PLEASE come the fuck on. Does no one else see how this is madness? The band should be able to exist on it's own through the support of the label and at least release an album without relying ONE HUNDRED PERCENT on a fanbase to make the band's music happen. What if they never reach their goal? Would the label put the record out/fund to record it then? We as a music community should be boycotting this kind of greed and sense of entitlement that has no place in independent music. Don't ask the music buying public for a fucking bailout you shitstain excuse for a music establishment. Come&Beg! is more like it.

There is a process in music similar to natural selection where good bands flourish because they are good and people supoort them and then fake label organizations like Come and Live, come and take, and come and ask for more, and use religion as an association with ART and MUSIC where it has no place as a marketing point, which is BULLSHIT. And if I were Christian I would be offended. But coming and begging for change to put out records interferes with the natural process where good bands find ways to DO IT THEMSELVES and put out records, and the bad musicians and bands who don't care enough as they should, don't get to put out records. Like our friends "Abel"

Giving music away as a gift and then neglecting a physical product entirely in some cases is contributing to the decay of the industry in one way or another, not placing ANY value on the music, or asking for anything for it, and then that give people the idea that music should be free. I'm all for try before you buy / downloading, and then buying at a later point if it's an enjoyable record. You should just accept the fact that some one is going to put your release on the internet for free anyway, and anyone can get it in thousands of different places. You're not doing anyone any favors, Music fans, not passive flavor of the week single track downloaders, but music fans, are usually not opposed to BUYING something if it has WORTH. That means they feel they are getting a superior product than what they are paying for. Sometimes this means offering a deluxe packaged cd for 11 or 12 dollars, but fuck, you will sell a hell of a lot more CDs than a mediocre jewel case 6 page booklet CD that is just completely disposable and not even worth 11 or 12 dollars to most music fans.
I think you're misunderstanding both the point of Come&Live!, and how kickstarter works.
04:56 AM on 09/21/11
bakonbeatz
User Info.
But seriously, how do you feel about this?
LOLOLOL
06:52 AM on 09/21/11
FireInTheSky
User Info.
I think you're misunderstanding both the point of Come&Live!, and how kickstarter works.
This. The whole point of kickstarter is so that "good bands flourish because they are good and people support them," as our friend very deftly explained. Kickstarter is, if anything, more democratic than the label process.

And he totally misses Come&Live!
06:52 AM on 09/21/11
BlueDuck
User Info.
Why don't you let the bands decide who they want to work with and not. Come and Live obviously brings something to the table for the bands they work with, and the bands have a right to give their music away if they want.

Why does music have to be about a profit? Why can't an artist choose to give it out for free and share their message? There is a certain joy for Christians (any anyone else) that comes with giving and sharing good news and that might be the part you don't understand.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests