AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
This Time Next Year - Drop Out of Life Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.55
Musicianship 8.55
Lyrics 8
Production 8.9
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.55
Reviewer Tilt 8.45
Average: 84%
Inside AP.net

This Time Next Year - Drop Out of Life

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (09/21/11)
This Time Next Year - Drop Out of Life
Record Label: Equal Vision Records
Release Date: September 27, 2011

I am writing this review instead of reading a chapter of a boring textbook. That boring textbook comes from a class that I’m not really too fond of, and that chapter will be on a test that I have coming up in about a week’s time. I think This Time Next Year will be happy to know that those are the conditions under which this review is being written. As they might say, I’m dropping out of life.

Drop Out of Life might have started as the album title for the Walnut Creek, Calif., quintet’s second full-length record, but it has since evolved into a Twitter phenomenon. Vocalist Pete Dowdalls and guitarist/backup vocalist Brad Wiseman have described #dropoutoflife as exactly what it seems like – the act of stopping whatever lame shit you are doing and instead, engaging in something you believe in and want to do. For Dowdalls and Wiseman, they clearly prefer touring the country and playing uptempo music, and that’s a good thing for us.

Following a trend popular among September 27 releases, This Time Next Year chose to record their LP with a member of New Found Glory. Enlisting Chad Gilbert’s services was a good move in two ways. First off, it gained some attention for this record, a necessary move considering how criminally underrated TTNY’s first full-length, Road Maps and Hearts Attacks, was. Secondly, Gilbert absolutely kills it in the studio. This record sounds immensely bigger than the band’s last release, as evidenced by the opening titular track. From the instantly accessible chorus to Gilbert’s own guest vocal appearance, the song is a kick-ass opener. The guitar riffs on every song are crunchy pop-punk goodness, and leaning more toward the punk than the pop of the musicianship aspect is a good sound for these guys. Every time we hear gang vocals – which happens a lot – they are placed nicely within the mix, an essentially quality for new-school pop-punk.

Dowdalls is most definitely the primary singer here, but Wiseman’s more gruff backup vocals are a huge part of this sound. Those backup vocals, while not an innovative move, are the glue in this band’s core. The double-shot of “Spoontonic” and “Matchbook” are good examples of this, and they also provide a basic nutshell of what to expect on Drop Out of Life. The latter of the two tracks has almost visual whoa-oa’s that sound like they were lifted directly from any pop-punk record released in the early 2000s, and the layered melody is a fun one to belt out.

“My Side of Town” probably sounds the most like Road Maps and Heart Attacks, and while this band hasn’t changed up its formula too much, the heavily improved production value goes a long way in enjoying TTNY’s sound for 36 minutes. When the group isn’t going full speed, like on “Last Call,” with its barbed cries of “I don’t wanna know who’s taking you home / Or where you’re sleeping after last call,” and on the closing “This Is An Airport Train,” they still manage to weave memorable harmonies.

While this will come across a lazy comparison, Drop Out of Life bears extraordinary resemblance to New Found Glory’s self-titled album. I’m sure it seems lazy because of who produced the record and because every pop-punk band gets compared to New Found Glory, but seriously. It’s not like there are shades of New Found Glory here – this is downright déjŕ entendu (uh oh) at times, especially when it comes to the guitar work.

Despite lacking value in the originality department, though, This Time Next Year has manufactured an album that listeners will be happy to jump around their living rooms to for a while to come. It’ll be a good way to keep warm during the coming winter months, if anything. And while I’m certainly not saying this will resonate throughout the years like New Found Glory did, it’s not a stretch to compare Drop Out of Life to more contemporary breakouts like Mutiny! or Rise or Die Trying.

8/10

Recommended If You LikeNew Found Glory, Mutiny!, Rise or Die Trying, This Time Next Year (heh), or Road Maps and Heart Attacks
Bare Essentials1. Drop Out Of Life
2. Better Half
3. Living Hell
4. Last Call
5. Modern Day Love Story
6. Spoontonic
7. Matchbook
8. My Side of Town
9. Get it, Got it, Good
10. Note
11. This is an Airport Train
Produced By: Chad Gilbert, Run Time: 36 minutes
Purchase

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 58
11:59 PM on 09/21/11
WeWereGiants
Cold hands, Lips blue
User Info.
Anticipated so hard, the theme is so perfect for me right now to. Awesome review (as usual).
12:03 AM on 09/22/11
rushour144
User Info.
On the other hand, this WAS a disappointment for me. Got this the other day, and it has been such a let down... may have to give it a couple more spins.
01:18 AM on 09/22/11
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I think this is up there with TWY and NFG's new albums this year, I love this album.
01:23 AM on 09/22/11
CastlesXClouds
Relax
User Info.
you clever bastard.
02:03 AM on 09/22/11
birtcho
is...
User Info.
Really looking forward to hearing this
03:08 AM on 09/22/11
punchlinekid182
This wind changed me
User Info.
i love they're dual vocal tracks, hope to hear some on this
04:02 AM on 09/22/11
xBranx
Brandon Pagano / Handguns
User Info.
I've had this record since the week of it being finished and it didn't really strike me on first listen, but now that the CD is in my car I can't stop jamming it.

Better Half is the best cut imo. So catchy.
04:41 AM on 09/22/11
Sakarazu
Hello
User Info.
I wasn't particularly looking forward to this because I wasn't really into their first release, but that RIYL made me want to hear this.
05:08 AM on 09/22/11
MJSchmidt
Hang 'em high or not at all
User Info.
Cannot wait to hear this record. Hopefully there are plenty of moments of Brad singing. The title track and whatever other song I heard did not have much in the back-and-forth department. I love that aspect of their sound.
06:16 AM on 09/22/11
Davewinnie
User Info.
SUPPORT THESE GUYS! so awesome. :)
06:25 AM on 09/22/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
I haven't been overly impressed with the two tracks I've listened to, but I ordered the album regardless. The comparisons toNew Found Glory has me really excited though.
06:49 AM on 09/22/11
PPunk
User Info.
I think this is up there with TWY and NFG's new albums this year, I love this album.

This
07:13 AM on 09/22/11
Psib
When I get home I'll get high alone
User Info.
LOVED their first album. Just preordered this on itunes, so excited
07:26 AM on 09/22/11
MyFriendsOver
Your pictures are already burned.
User Info.
Just listened to Road Maps yesterday, so I'm fresh in the mood for these guys! So Chad Gilbert actually engineered this album, not just produced it? I know with ADTR, Chad only produced and there was a different guy (Wade) behind the boards.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums